Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times

Advertisements

Has anyone replaced their shingle roof with a metal roof?

If so, was it worth it? Was your wind mitigation result and insurance premium reduced? What type of warranty was provided?

We are buying a house with a shingle roof in need of replacement pretty soon, so I am interested in hearing about any experiences with metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM

70 posts, read 288,098 times
Might want to check out the U.S. Dept. Of Energy site. I was considering a metal roof on our house in the Melbourne Fl. area and decided to stick with the existing shingles as they currently have an expected life span of around 10 yrs left on them. In your case the metal may work for you as you stated the need for a new roof soon. To reach the site go to;
baihp.org and after page opens look for "case studies". Click on case studies and then scroll down the page until you see a link for "Metal Roof Refit". This was a home in Cocoa Fl. and it's a
very informative site with cost breakdowns, return on investment, lifespan etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
Has anyone replaced their shingle roof with a metal roof?

If so, was it worth it? Was your wind mitigation result and insurance premium reduced? What type of warranty was provided?

We are buying a house with a shingle roof in need of replacement pretty soon, so I am interested in hearing about any experiences with metal.
Not really sure if they mean anything in windstorm. They are from Cal. and are good in an area where they have wild fires because if an ember lands on the roof from a fire it won't ignite. I guess there are different kinds and levels of quality but I think they look cool. If I was replacing a roof I would defiantly give them a look. May be better for simple roofs as opposed to a roof with a lot of gables and valleys. You know the thing with shingels it they are easy to repair it is a DIY job in most cases. I could see if a problem started though with the metal roof it becoming a nightmare.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
If put on properly...they can withstand winds of 200+MPH....the bad part...kinda expensive...but depending upon how long you intend to live there...they are the last roof you will ever put on...if you are somewhat handy...you might be able to do it yourself since they lock into place with each other...so all you need is the first row to be straight and then snap and screw the next one in place...

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
If put on properly...they can withstand winds of 200+MPH....the bad part...kinda expensive...but depending upon how long you intend to live there...they are the last roof you will ever put on...if you are somewhat handy...you might be able to do it yourself since they lock into place with each other...so all you need is the first row to be straight and then snap and screw the next one in place...
200 mph and there probably won't be a house under it anyway. One problem with a metal roof may be if any part fails the whole thing may peel off. One panel goes the whole roof will go.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I'm in the midwest and had a metal roof put on a house with gables 3 yrs. ago. The house has seen several bad storms with winds of 60+mph with no problems. It is 18ga. steel, IIRC, standing seam, color guarantee 35 years, roof guarantee 50+ years. Would it withstand sustained hurricane winds I cannot tell you; but, it did come through a microburst that took down 70 yr. old trees last month.

As for the one panel goes the whole thing goes, only if your roofer isn't screwing it down. Even standing seam requires screws, you just don't see them when the roof is finished.

I have friends in central FL replacing their shingle roof with a metal roof installation as I type.

http://www.mcelroymetal.com/

Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Exclamation It's A Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
200 mph and there probably won't be a house under it anyway. One problem with a metal roof may be if any part fails the whole thing may peel off. One panel goes the whole roof will go.
I would hope that before the roofer begins his project that he would take the time to strap the roof down the ceiling beams/joists....using those metal strips that are supposed to hold it all together...and then perhaps as the high winds come..the house will hold together...

There are builders out there advertising they can build a house that can with stand 250+MPH winds...for a little more $$$$$$$...but if we need a house that strong who knows what will be on top of it when the winds die down...

Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I would hope that before the roofer begins his project that he would take the time to strap the roof down the ceiling beams/joists....using those metal strips that are supposed to hold it all together...and then perhaps as the high winds come..the house will hold together...

There are builders out there advertising they can build a house that can with stand 250+MPH winds...for a little more $$$$$$$...but if we need a house that strong who knows what will be on top of it when the winds die down...
In touring hurricane Andrew a lot of the damage was collateral. There is a domino effect once houses begin to fail. Even in Wilma A house a few streets over had the neighbors roof come off and crash through their roof causing a lot of damage. Same with trees; the house stands up fine till a tree falls on it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 149,410 times
When replacing a shingle roof with a metal one make sure you have the old roof tore off. Some salesmen will tell you that you don't have to and they are correct, but it's worth every penny to start with a clean slate, especially when you're already spending a fortune on the labor required to install a metal roof.

Warranties vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and are not completely necessary if you have a sheet metal worker that you trust that can do the work. To get a manufacturer's warranty the contractor will have to install the roof how the manufacturer wants and the price of the roof will often times increase. Typical metal roof warranties are for 10-20 years but are sometimes longer. These may seem short for the expense involved in installing a metal roof but this is not like a shingle roof that needs to be replaced around the time the warranty is up. Metal roofs, when properly installed, need only minor maintenance such as recaulking counterflashings every 5-10 years. After the paint and the protective coating wears off you can experience some rust issues and would need to recoat or repaint the roof to prolong its life; this takes a really long time to wear off.

Just make sure you get a quality installer, not a roofer that bangs shingles most of the time. You want a sheet metal worker, they can handle the complex geometries of metal roofs and give you a better looking roof that won't leak.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 149,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If a metal roof blows off and it isn't still connected to the substrate, it is most likely installed improperly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area