U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Oink View Post
Hi Chris - I lived in South FL (just barely west of the turnpike) for many years. I had various jobs over the years that required commutes as far north as Lantana, and as far south as Miami Lakes. The worst commutes, however, are the East/West commutes. I would take into consideration exactly where the two schools are located. Are they both west of the turnpike, east of I-95, or somewhere in between?

I briefly lived in Coral Springs and commuted to east Boca. Although it was only 12 miles one way, it would take 45-50 minutes regardless of which route I'd take (and I tried them all). When I lived in West Boca and drove the same distance to Ft Lauderdale it would take only 20-25 minutes. The reason....my commute from Boca to Ft Laud was a straight shot down either Powerline or Lyons Rd. The Coral Spgs to east Boca was a zig-zag commute from west to east....which is a nightmare.

As a general rule, the worst neighborhoods are the ones closest to I-95.
I agree with the last poster. It takes much longer to go east-west than north/south down here. Most of South FL is only 12-15 miles from the ocean to the everglades. But it typically takes 45 minutes to commute east-west due to the density of stoplights and lack of east-west expressways. 595 is the only east-west expressway in Broward, but is not convenient to residents of the northern half of the county. You are stuck taking Atlantic Blvd, Commercial Blvd, Sample Road, or the Sawgrass which doesn't go all the way east.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM

15 posts, read 45,636 times
I found out that I will be at the Pine Crest school in Fort Lauderdale, if that makes things easier for people to figure out. I don't want to have too far of a commute, but still want to meet my criteria that I listed in my original post.

Thanks for all of your help.

Chris

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,408,167 times
It took me at 4:00 from Boca to the Ft Lauderdale Campus 25 minutes with 95 and coming home and leaving that Campus at 6pm it would take me 25-35 minutes as I took either 95 or the streets as I live in Central Boca...it isnt a bad commute I did it for quiet sometime when my daughter and son swam there...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:25 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,164 times
Swimmom32-

Usually, you are correct. But 95 does get some pretty bad accidents that can delay things a lot worse. Also, the drivers on that stretch are suicidal. I have seen some crazy thing happen around the Atlantic Blvd and Copans Rd exits. I would avoid that commute unless necessary. It is no fun. Also, the poster said he is going to be working at the Fort Lauderdale campus. He would be better off living close to that campus rather than 30 minutes away.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,408,167 times
You certainly have that right Nolan..lol I would say a prayer everytime I got onto 95..lol Im just saying depending on where he lives in Boca its doable...I live off of Powerline so ive taken the streets home and its been great even with lights I made it home in 25 minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or