U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,590,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

The question I would have is- WHY? in the world would you want to do this?
Do what? Move without a job? If that's your question, the answer is because I can't find anything from up here. They want you already there (which I do understand), but even temp agencies said the same thing.

So I really no choice but to move first. (and transferring is not an option with this job)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 AM

I do thank everyone for your answers. Definitely seems like car insurance is a huge factor down there.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 AM

I also wanted to ask regarding registering my car......

I looked online at FL DMV and even googled the question about registering from out of state. Both times I found information that seems to indicate it doesn't cost much to transfer over (one page was a fees schedule). I had heard from people that it can cost like $400+.

Did I get the wrong pages both, or is possible that these people are talking about multiple vehicles and that's why it costs so much?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Do what? Move without a job? If that's your question, the answer is because I can't find anything from up here. They want you already there (which I do understand), but even temp agencies said the same thing.

So I really no choice but to move first. (and transferring is not an option with this job)
Florida is one of the last places on earth that I'd move to without a job lined up first. It's the 3rd worst state for unemployment in the country and they're planning to cut back on unemployment benefits. Even with $20k saved up, that money will disappear very quickly as things like insurance, groceries (food) are very expensive compared to other states.

For employment opportunities, I'd look at maybe Texas. Much more diverse (in terms of scenery) than Florida anyway. Florida is a mess right now and many people are trapped.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,076,508 times
With a 6.2% acceptance rate in its spring hiring blitz, McDonald’s was more selective than the Princeton, Stanford, or Yale University admission offices.

Andy Kroll: How the McEconomy Bombed the American Worker: The Hollowing Out of the Middle Class

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 AM

40 posts, read 73,344 times
It cost me $500 to register my car and I can look forward to paying the same amount next year. It doesn't matter the age of your car, it costs what it costs. A LOT.

I agree with everyone about choosing a different state. I love Florida but finding work is very difficult in most fields. What field are you looking in?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times
CTGirlNoMore-

What is your current living situation? Do you live with family? Or on your own? How old are you and what field are you looking for work in?

One thing that drives me nuts is when people ask "what is the job market like there?" Its such a general question. It depends on what field you are in.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
CTGirlNoMore-

What is your current living situation? Do you live with family? Or on your own? How old are you and what field are you looking for work in?

One thing that drives me nuts is when people ask "what is the job market like there?" Its such a general question. It depends on what field you are in.
34, single, live alone (well, with 2 cats, LOL)

My field administrative in account office. I am open to trying other fields though. I'd work retail again, medical office, etc. And I'm not against working weekends, holidays, nights. I have no family to come home to, so my hours don't matter.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM

180 posts, read 367,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Ok, with car insurance...I don't know how much it is in CT but you may be in for a sticker shock.

What I pay here, in Miami, for minimum, state required, insurance, is MORE than what I paid for FULL coverage, everything included, in Seattle. So, be prepared for that.

Also, in the state of FL, you must have a FL insurance agent. You cannot have insurance if the agent is based in another state. If you have one of the big names, you probably don't have to worry but contact them and let them know you are moving to FL. If you have a small company, not national, you'll need to contact a FL insurance agent. You will not get registered otherwise.

Cell phone should stay the same if you stay on the same plan. Just have them switch the number to a Ft. Lauderdale area phone number.

Groceries...some prices are...fascinating...to say the least while other prices aren't so bad. But you can control how much you spend there.

Be prepared to pay for a/c all year long. It really depends on the size of the place you're staying to how much you'll pay.

IF I were to make a basic estimate, knowing it could be higher or lower, I would say, with all that you included, your monthly estimate, (also, depends what kind of car you have and how much you drive), could be....

Cell: $50 or whatever you pay.
Utilities: If you help, $50 or more for your half.
Gas: It's $3.89 or so around here.
Insurance: Anywhere from $75 (be careful with some of those smaller insurance places), to $200.
Groceries: Could be $100-200
Health Insurance: See if you can get it through an employer.

ROUGH estimate only. Could be worse, could be better...it depends on how you live and your age and how much you use. Take those numbers, multiply by 6 or 12 and you'll get a basic idea of how much you should have, at the very least, AFTER moving expenses.
Where in S Florida do you live with for this preice on gas? Where I am it's $4.19.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 PM

I just got back from Pompano Beach and I actually did see gas anywhere from as low as $3.87. Most prices were around $3.89, nothing over $4.

I know some of these places were in the area of Powerline Road (road?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area