Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know everyone is tired of people moving without jobs and of threads like this, but I need to ask. I DID try searching before posting and all I found was a thread in the Miami fourm.

Without having to worry about housing, what would be a good amount to have saved up before moving without a job? I know the best answer is "as much as possible" and I know all about it being best to have a job lined up first, but that is not looking possible right now.

So, without housing to have to worry about, what is recommended based on what you know about the Ft. Lauderdale area?

I ask for honest opinions/answers. I'd appreciate no negative posts about more people moving without jobs and no rudeness about people who move thinking it's easy and find out it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
It really depends on what your current expenses are and how long you can stay with someone without worrying about housing. I would say to have at least a year's worth of expenses saved. Jobs are not plentiful and this is not a high paying area.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
If you don't have to worry about housing, I'd say you've got a big chunk of the whole thing taken care of already. You should always know you have a place to stay no matter what happens so that should definitely alleviate a lot of stress from you.

It can be difficult to find a job, FL has a very high unemployment rate...I think around 12%...but it is NOT impossible to find a job. You may have to take what you can get at the beginning while you search for something better.

Anyway, to answer the question, typically 6 months to a year of living expenses. It is possible to do it with 6 months worth...I mean, if you can't find a job in 6 months...well...you should be able to do it. Will it be the job you want? Maybe not but you should be able to find something in 6 months.

You may have to find two...although, again, if you have your housing under control, you should be alright, really.

I'm doing the same and I've gotten the same warnings and I KNOW why people say it. But, sometimes, it's not easy to find a job if you are not there.

I'm actually moving out of state and I have some money saved up as well plus have someone who will have my back, as they said, until I get back on my feet.

I'll be paying rent and everything...so I need a job asap...take what you can find, keep looking for something better. Don't ever think you are "too good" for a certain job. Does it bring you money? Then you are not "too good" for it. I don't say this directly to you, OP, I just know there are a lot of people with this mindset.

It is possible. If you want something bad enough, you will make it. Knowing you have a place to live, frankly, to me, is well over half the battle already accomplished.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Gah! Sorry, I meant to say that my expenses would be car insurance, cell phone, groceries, car gas, health insurance. It's just in the owrks of it *possibly* happening, but I could probably stay there until I found a job and could get my own apartment. Utilities, I would offer to pay (electric basically, it's a condo, not a house so no maintenance/taxes/etc. as that in the HOA) but it's a possibilty I wouldn't have to. Basic cable included, so I wouldn't have to pay that.

Of course I am not factoring having to get my car registered, which I have to check out the DMV website to get an idea of the cost, but obviously it's not a monthly expense.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Oh and while I know everyone says this, I am not against getting any kind of job. I am not fixated on Monday-Friday 9 to 5, office only, etc. So I realize (while everyone is looking for these jobs too, yes I know that) that I am more open than others. That and I am single so no family to support.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks GatorMama and good luck to you too! I see you are headed past my way. ME is beautiful and I love it there, but my bones and ven my skin can't handle the winters anymore.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM

40 posts, read 79,840 times
We had $30k for a family of 4 and it wasn't enough. You have a lot less in expenses than we did. The job issue is the biggest factor.

My husband found work right away but he was seriously under employed and was making only 1/3 of what we needed to live on. It took him a year to find work at his level (and he is still a bit short on salary compared to what he was making in Nevada). I will never move without a job again.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Gah! Sorry, I meant to say that my expenses would be car insurance, cell phone, groceries, car gas, health insurance. It's just in the owrks of it *possibly* happening, but I could probably stay there until I found a job and could get my own apartment. Utilities, I would offer to pay (electric basically, it's a condo, not a house so no maintenance/taxes/etc. as that in the HOA) but it's a possibilty I wouldn't have to. Basic cable included, so I wouldn't have to pay that.

Of course I am not factoring having to get my car registered, which I have to check out the DMV website to get an idea of the cost, but obviously it's not a monthly expense.
Ok, with car insurance...I don't know how much it is in CT but you may be in for a sticker shock.

What I pay here, in Miami, for minimum, state required, insurance, is MORE than what I paid for FULL coverage, everything included, in Seattle. So, be prepared for that.

Also, in the state of FL, you must have a FL insurance agent. You cannot have insurance if the agent is based in another state. If you have one of the big names, you probably don't have to worry but contact them and let them know you are moving to FL. If you have a small company, not national, you'll need to contact a FL insurance agent. You will not get registered otherwise.

Cell phone should stay the same if you stay on the same plan. Just have them switch the number to a Ft. Lauderdale area phone number.

Groceries...some prices are...fascinating...to say the least while other prices aren't so bad. But you can control how much you spend there.

Be prepared to pay for a/c all year long. It really depends on the size of the place you're staying to how much you'll pay.

IF I were to make a basic estimate, knowing it could be higher or lower, I would say, with all that you included, your monthly estimate, (also, depends what kind of car you have and how much you drive), could be....

Cell: $50 or whatever you pay.
Utilities: If you help, $50 or more for your half.
Gas: It's $3.89 or so around here.
Insurance: Anywhere from $75 (be careful with some of those smaller insurance places), to $200.
Groceries: Could be $100-200
Health Insurance: See if you can get it through an employer.

ROUGH estimate only. Could be worse, could be better...it depends on how you live and your age and how much you use. Take those numbers, multiply by 6 or 12 and you'll get a basic idea of how much you should have, at the very least, AFTER moving expenses.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 72,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Okay, I know everyone is tired of people moving without jobs and of threads like this, but I need to ask. I DID try searching before posting and all I found was a thread in the Miami fourm.

Without having to worry about housing, what would be a good amount to have saved up before moving without a job? I know the best answer is "as much as possible" and I know all about it being best to have a job lined up first, but that is not looking possible right now.

So, without housing to have to worry about, what is recommended based on what you know about the Ft. Lauderdale area?

I ask for honest opinions/answers. I'd appreciate no negative posts about more people moving without jobs and no rudeness about people who move thinking it's easy and find out it's not.

I am doing the same thing. Speaking from experience, I would not move on less than $20,000. My personal goal is $22.5k before I move to Ft. Lauderdale. I am calculating rent at $1000 p/mo, food $300, transit $100, utilities $200, misc $200 - all for one year. At the moment, I am $22.5k short of my goal but I figure by the time I save it up maybe the economy will be better. Seriously, prepare for EVERYTHING before you move - I didn't do that once and I got stuck and almost homeless. It pays to wait.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
$20,000 would be the bare minimum, and even that is pushing it. That gives you approximately $1666/month to spend. If you have NO housing costs, and you're ONLY going to be year 1 year without working, then you can get by on that. Car expenses, food, and entertainment will be your primary expenses. Car insurance and food is extremely expensive here. Try to shop at Costco or Wal-Mart. I love Publix, but it is outrageously expensive. I stopped shopping there several months ago and was amazed at what I saved in just a few months.

The question I would have is- WHY? in the world would you want to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area