Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM

15 posts, read 53,872 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a teaching position, starting in the middle of August, and I will be moving from the Philadelphia area.

I am looking for a location between Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton, because I could be placed at one of those two locations for my job.

I am looking to spend around $1,000 and $1,2000 because I am single, with no car payment or credit card bills (except student loans) and am making $40,000 p/y.

I would like to move into an apartment or condo community, that is safe, clean, updated, etc. Does anyone have suggestions of area or community that I could contact? This is a big move and am hoping this community of Floridians can make my transition a little easier.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM

87 posts, read 168,572 times
An apartment or condo between Boca and Ft Lauderdale is pretty general. It would be easier to help you if you provided more information. Do you want to be near the beach? Do you want to be near night life? Do you want a gated community?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM

I'd like to be in a gated community if it is not out of the price range. I don't mind driving to the beach, considering I currently live 2 hours away from the nearest beach. Anything shorter than that for me is a treat. Haha

It would be nice to be near some night life, but again, I don't mind driving or riding my motorcycle.

I'm just looking for somewhere safe, and nice.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Port Royale Apartments- located in NE Fort Lauderdale. Rents are between $1000-1100 for a 1BR apt. It is a gated community near the Intracoastal Waterway. Units are very small and it can be noisy. There are also tons of dogs barking. Aside from that, it is a good community, good management, and a good location. It is about 2-3 miles from the nearest beach. About 15 mins from downtown Ft Lauderdale, and 25 minutes from Boca Raton.

Other places to look- Coconut Creek and Coral Springs are nice areas with cheaper rents and more apartment for your money than the east side. They are further west, so further from the beach. They are also more laid back, family oriented suburbs.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:56 AM

How are the Star Pointe apartments in Coconut Creek?

Also, is $40,000 enough to live in this area?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM

$40,000 is enough. But you're limited to the suburbs or lower-end apartments on the east side. For example, you cannot afford to live in Las Olas if you make $40,000. Most of the rents are $1700+ for a 1BR, 1bath apartment. But you can find affordable rents in places like Davie, Plantation, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, and Deerfield Beach. Pompano Beach lacks middle-class safe apartment complexes. The beach condos are really the only option. So that's why I mentioned Port Royale. It is in a good location in NE Fort Lauderdale and is one of the few communities where rents are around $1000 which is affordable for someone making $40,000/year.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM

I am looking for something in between Boca and Fort Lauderdale, that's why I was asking about Star Pointe. The place you mentioned isn't really between the two. I don't mind living in the suburbs, since that is what I live in currently.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Guitarchris08-

Everywhere I mentioned is between Boca and Fort Lauderdale, except Davie and Plantation. Your options are very limited if you're looking right off I-95. There are lots of bad neighborhoods in those parts. You may have to deviate a bit east or west to find what you're looking for.

Star Pointe- Not familiar with the exact community, but it is on Cocoplum Drive which is a nice subsection. It is about 1 mile west of Florida's Turnpike on Sample Road and 3 miles west of I-95. So you'll have to veer east 1-3 miles before you're able to commute southbound or northbound.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Nolefan,

Thank you for your help. It is invaluable. It is difficult to orchestrate such a long move, so, any bit of information is helpful.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM

79 posts, read 249,093 times
Hi Chris - I lived in South FL (just barely west of the turnpike) for many years. I had various jobs over the years that required commutes as far north as Lantana, and as far south as Miami Lakes. The worst commutes, however, are the East/West commutes. I would take into consideration exactly where the two schools are located. Are they both west of the turnpike, east of I-95, or somewhere in between?

I briefly lived in Coral Springs and commuted to east Boca. Although it was only 12 miles one way, it would take 45-50 minutes regardless of which route I'd take (and I tried them all). When I lived in West Boca and drove the same distance to Ft Lauderdale it would take only 20-25 minutes. The reason....my commute from Boca to Ft Laud was a straight shot down either Powerline or Lyons Rd. The Coral Spgs to east Boca was a zig-zag commute from west to east....which is a nightmare.

As a general rule, the worst neighborhoods are the ones closest to I-95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area