U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM

40 posts, read 73,336 times

Advertisements

Good luck to you. I am sure you will be successful. I still think a better option would be to search for an area that has a great need for graphic designers and will pay for your relo (maybe SoFla is that place). If you decide to throw caution to the wind have a large nest egg built up (a years worth of expenses) we burned through ours and were just about to have to pack up and leave for home.

It definately sounds like you do need to get out of the area you are in!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,405,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_2011 View Post
We understand that we are probably considered lower middle class to Floridians, but the Average Household Income for Fort Lauderdale shows $48148.00/year, so if we kept our same pay scale, we would make $12,000.00 more than the average household there and we wouldn't be able to have a comfortable life?

Do All jobs in Florida pay 25.00 to 30.00 an hour or more; for a family to have a normal life? I am not trying to counterdict anything that you are saying but it seems like we are considered slightly above the average household in the Fort Lauderdale Area, and neither my wife or I make very much giving the backgrounds we both have, mostly because we live in a tiny town of about 6000 people so pay scales here are definitley lower because of the population and economy surrounding us and we are considered a cut above the rest here in Michigan.
There are many senior citizens in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas. Many of them have substantial savings, and own their homes outright but have fairly low incomes. Their family units are also 1 or 2 person families so they do not need as much to live as family of 4. This skews the statistics to show a low median income for this area.

$60K for a family is low. Not starvation level but not enough to live near the beach in a neighborhood with better schools.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM

205 posts, read 434,678 times
Ft. lauderdale is a beautiful place but it is hard for a young family with kids. To rent something in a nice neighbordhood with schools your going to pay $1600 plus probably close to 1800-2000/month. There are some neighborhoods in Pompano that arent bad like cresthaven and you can find a place to rent in there for 1300/month but there are some seedy parts to it, The biggest problem with S.fl is the schools. Seriously look into it before you move. Alot of people send their kids to private here unless you live out west like Weston, P.Pines, coral springs, parkland where the schools are better. The schools east arent the greatest, alot of them are ghetto especially when you get to middle and high school. If you can afford private then I wouldnt worry about it just really do your homework on the schools out here. We have and had a lot of friends who have to deal with reassignments, lotterys just to get their kids into a good school which is stressful. Housing and property tax is expensive but but now you can probably find a good deal on homes.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 602 times
I appreciate all of the comments, My wife and I are really excited to get south and we have some family that will be living in West Palm Beach Area! (Which we cannot afford) my son will not be in school for another 3 years so that is in our mind but the back portion for right now... my wife currently works at a family video store where she makes substantial lower salary then she should, homes we are not looking to buy right now, we want to get a feel for Florida first and make sure we could call it home. I understand everything is uncertain anywhere in the USA but Florida isn't worse off then Michigan in the job market, we are going to make plenty of trips to the areas looking for jobs and getting settled before we even come close to making a commitment. but would like some information on typical household expenses, do most homes use gas furnace to heat their homes? Is that even a concern for the area and weather, do you have a substantial Gas bill to heat your homes? We have checked into some other areas, like Lantana, West Palm, Boynton Beach, as well as Fort Laduerdale what are some areas within Palm County to stay away from?!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

374 posts, read 841,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_2011 View Post
Thank you for the response, my wife and I; neither of us work in retail, I work at a Bank, and my wife has a bachelors degree in Graphic Design, but we are not in an area in which she can use her degree, we are looking to find a job before we make a move and I am happy to here your husband makes what we do combined, but we are also in a town that has nothing around it, where we are currently living the best money you can make is about 35,000.00/ year; Which is indeed why we are trying to find a location in the south where we can get paid more money; I am sure the job I am currently working would be much more pay than I am earning in this area. Even going to the next closest bigger city near us, my job would be increased almost $15,000.00 alone, just to be in a bigger, larger metro area.
You are getting a LOT of good advice here about finding a job before you move. My comment is, that considering your current circumstance where your wife manages a video store and you are a bank branch manager, I can't imagine that in the south you would be paid the SAME amount of money, much less more for those jobs. And that's not just Florida, that's pretty much across the south.

I realize that your wife wants to use her graphic design degree and I have no idea what the starting pay is for that. I suggest you look at the starting range salary for graphic designers and go from there. If you're in a small town where you've lived for a long time, it's probably like most small towns where it's as much (or more) who you know rather than what you know and you won't have any of that to rely on in the area you're looking at.

Unless Florida has changed drastically since I left so many years ago, and from what I've read here in the FL forums - it hasn't, unless you have a BS degree or higher, or are a white collar professional, you're probably not going to make a lot of money - at least not for a while. I'm guessing you'd be extremely fortunate to match your current income. Florida has a LOT of retirees who move there with retirement income and are unbelievably happy to work for low wages. And I'm not necessarily talking about "old geezers" - lots of folks are retiring at a young age these days. They bring maturity, a world of experience, and are happy to have that second - or third - income. And that's your competition for jobs.

I hope you can work out your plans for your move. You're young, enthusiastic, and ready for an adventure. Your success will depend upon lots of research, smart planning, and having a nest egg set aside. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area