Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 AM

14 posts, read 48,169 times

Advertisements

I live in Cuba and I'm in the process to get to America, As a father and low-key guy I'm trying to find the best place where I would raise my daughters (15, 14 and 12 years old) in a quiet community , on the other hand I love speaking English, and definitely want to master it in a city where English is spoken , due to all this, I've thought Kendall is one of the best place where I would get my goals properly, Broward has some good cities that fit with what I'm looking for as well, specially Weston.

My sister who is applying for me to get to U.S. lives in Cutler bay and I would like to live "near" her (I consider Weston city is near Dade county, even from Cutler bay)

Please, I want to know, what would be the main differences between these cities, and what city of these would be more appropriated taking into account I'm going to start a completely new life with my wife and daughters.
Any Help will be appreciated , Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,582,919 times
Kendall is an unincorporated area within Dade County and closer to Cutler Bay. In 2010 the population was 75,371 with 63.7% hispanic. It is a higher density, and is much older than Weston. I have noticed in some areas the signs and sometimes only written in Spanish within Kendall. Traffic is very heavy as well.
Weston is a planned community with a 2005 population of 61,041 and 30.19% hispanic. Weston is a city within Broward County. It is newer and more affluent by comparison. More greenscape areas in Weston. Falcon Cove Middle School is severely overcrowded, though.
There is a large Venezuelan population in Weston, too. Perhaps many hispanic people like Weston because of it's American look, in comparison to Miami. (just my opinion)

Last edited by lauralei2; 05-05-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: more words

Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
I think Kendall is heavily Cuban and Weston is heavily Venezuelan/Colombian.

Also you really feel like Spanish is the first language in Kendall. Weston has a lot of Spanish, but still, English is the first language.

I think Weston is a lot quieter (anything in Miami is Not quiet)

Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM

Thanks Lauralei and ruski, I really appreciate your help.
I got another questions about this cities.

Where are there more opportunities to get a Job? Kendall or Weston?
Where is lower the rental?
I’ve heard Weston and all that area are really pricey, much more than in Dade County, is it true?
Could be Weston a city where jobs are better paid than in Kendall, for example? And then it would balance the situation if really it is a pricey city?

Many thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
I agree with Ruski's analysis. Kendall and Weston are very different. Kendall was like the Weston of the 1970's, but changed rapidly over time. Now it is very built up and dense with heavy traffic, and the homes are much older. There are lots of nice communities in Kendall, but also some not-so-great areas.

I would add that Kendall probably has slightly more job options since it is located in Miami. However, Weston is also a good location since you can commute to Miami or Palm Beach counties.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Thank you Nolefa for your input,

I have thought over what you've said, Weston is near Miami, Coral Springs and Palm Beach county what can give a good oportunity to visit many different cities and places, I have some friends in Largo (tampa bay area) Orlando, Lehigh and Sarasota, and living in the middle of Miami metropolitan area, I would have a good position to catch up with my family from Miami and visiting my friends occasionally.in addition , there in Weston I would master my English and enjoy such a good place to raise a family, that for me is very important.

Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM

I am not sure about your profession, but generally speaking, Weston is very residential and there aren't that many jobs right IN Weston.

However there are some large companies in Weston, for example Ultimate Software.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
Not in Weston. But I meant Weston is centrally located between Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach. You can commute to all three areas from Weston. Although Palm Beach would be over an hour commute so that would be rough.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Not in Weston. But I meant Weston is centrally located between Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach. You can commute to all three areas from Weston. Although Palm Beach would be over an hour commute so that would be rough.
I'd imagine most of Miami would also be over an hour away in rush hour, with the exception of Miami Lakes and perhaps part of Doral. If you have to get downtown, perhaps an hour and a half.

Last edited by hurricaneMan1992; 05-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM

There are jobs in Doral - Ryder headquarters, various warehouses, datacenters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area