U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,812,998 times

Advertisements

My g/f randomly booked a flight to FLL and got a motel, so I'm coming today. So if we're staying in Pompano Beach just north of FLL, what beaches are the best? In terms of nice sand and water or boardwalk or sidewalk, zoned beach area... And do the beaches charge to use them?

What else are the attractions in the immediate Fort Lauderdale area? Or Miami because we're not renting a car but I'm sure there's a good bus system. We just want to relax a few days. What are the more healthy places to eat? any diners? buffets or recommended food? I look forward to coming here. I been to Tampa/Clearwater, Cocoa Beach, Miami as a cruise excursion but I'm not familiar with the area. Any recommended places to rent a bike and ride a bike?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,932,389 times
I would really see about renting a car if I were you. It's going to be severely restrictive for you not having one. Especially if you hope to see anything in Miami. You have no idea what a lack of transportation options there are, especially if you're not in the downtown Miami area. If you're flying into the Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport, you might want to get a hold of Rent a Wreck on State Road 7.(Link Below) Their prices are very reasonable and I was happy with their service. Both times I've used them the cars were fabulous. Talk to Jerry Orihuela, or the lovely Miss Noris, and tell them that a man who calls himself Reptoid Humidian from San Diego sent you. They'll know who I am. They can drop off the car at the Palm or Hibiscus parking garages depending on which terminal you're flying into, and when you're headed out you can also arrange with them to drop the car off at one of those terminal garages. Just do the classy thing and leave a $20 in the glove compartment with the rental agreement so it will cover the expense of the parking garage, since they will be footing the $20 in advance that it cost them to drop it off and have it ready for you.

Fort Lauderdale, FL Car Rental | Cheap Car Rental -Florida |Rent-A-Wreck (http://www.rentawreck.com/cheap-car-rental-fort-lauderdale-FL.html - broken link)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,483,762 times
Why not consider sightseeing on the Intracostal via the Water Taxi Water Taxi.
You can rent bikes here (I am not familiar with this company) Fort Lauderdale Scooter Rentals. How about an airboat ride at Sawgrass Recreation Park Airboat Rides in the Everglades at Sawgrass Recreation Park
Healthy restaurants, you might want to try Sublime Rest Sublime Restaurant and Bar – Natural and Organic Cuisine , or Pizza Fusion Pizza Fusion : Welcome
And Reptoid is correct, you really do need a car.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,932,389 times
You really ought to go see the Hugh Taylor Birch park, which is one of the last remaining natural stands of native vegetation in the county. Amazing flora and fauna they have there. Also, for something more exotic, check out Flamingo Gardens which have some of the rarest palms and tropical plants in the world.

They have a couple of these:

They're called Corypha's or Talipot Palms. You'll have to ask the people there to point them out. ---Never mind! They're HUGE. Watch for them as you're out on the tram. They have some out in the middle of a field much like what you'd see in Southeast Asia. By the way, none of those guys are me or anyone I know.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advise. It's true this place is huge, very sprawled. Google map makes the grid look like a city but each block is quite long. But the downtown is good. We went to Ft Lauderdale beach and took a bus to get downtown which was simple enough, the bus serves the right areas. I never seen so many big yachts and they're parked on the water of their backyard. The price of things here seem about the same as home. Really we just wanted the scenery and palm trees. The ocean waves here are easy. The ones in Cocoa Beach FL and NJ will knock u down.

How far north do you have to go before the palm trees are non-indigenous? Or before the green clear beach becomes blue and dark?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/dhanu86/DSC00517.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 AM

730 posts, read 1,121,969 times
Definetely you will need a car if staying in Fort Lauderdale or Pompano Beach area. There is a public transportation system but is far away from being like the one in New York. Do not even think that you can go from Pompano beach to Miami by bus because it takes a minimun of 3 bus transfers and more than 3 hours from departure point to your destiny point.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
Definetely you will need a car if staying in Fort Lauderdale or Pompano Beach area. There is a public transportation system but is far away from being like the one in New York. Do not even think that you can go from Pompano beach to Miami by bus because it takes a minimun of 3 bus transfers and more than 3 hours from departure point to your destiny point.
Yea I can see that. To someone like me the long bus ride was alright because it was like a tour to me riding through the neighborhoods and roads, then after it gets old. The bus fare is very cheap.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:41 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,163 times
You don't NEED a car in Fort Lauderdale/Pompano if you plan to stay near the beach. The bus system is very flawed but is doable. Getting to Miami will be much tougher without a rental car though. The best way is to take the Tri-Rail train to the Miami-Dade metrorail system. Then take metro-rail to downtown miami. Then you'll need a yellow cab ride to get to Miami Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area