U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlymomof2 View Post
We just relocated from Charlotte NC & are currently renting in Parkland. Very family-friendly & schools are supposed to be great. Our kids are 2 & 4, so we aren't in elementary yet, but have heard good things. I stay at home as well, and am having a little trouble finding a preschool comparable to the one our girls attended in Charlotte. Our kids went to a half day program at a Presbyterian church. Seems like most preschools here offer half day programs, but mostly serve as full day childcare for working parents. Anyone out there have preschool suggestions near Parkland?
Our daughter went to preschool at Coral Springs Christian academy for two years. We loved it, but it was a little bit of a drive every morning. It took me 20 minutes to get there...20 minutes back. I would get home at 8:45 and have to leave at 11:10 to get her at 11:30 and then get home around noon. So, spending 90 minutes in my car each day got very frustrating. Coral Springs Christian Academy is on Royal Palm and Riverside and is associated with a Presbyterian church.

This year, our son will attend Mary Help Us Christians which is in Parkland. He will be there 3 mornings a week. We have friends who had children there and they have been very happy with it. The drive is only a few minutes..

Are you familiar with the VPK program for four-year olds? It is free preschool (15 hours per week) and many schools participate, but fill quickly. Mary Help does not offer VPK.

Good luck!!! And welcome to Parkland. I love it here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,038 times
Thanks! We took a tour of MHOC & loved it, but opted for Parkridge Christian Academy because it offers VPK. I put both my girls in a 3 week summer camp there so we could get used to it before the start of school in the fall. Right now, I'm pretty much the only mom that is doing a 1/2 day program - seems like most of the kids in their classes are there for the full day as a daycare. But, I'm hopeful that when the school year starts there will be more children attending the 1/2 day VPK and using it primarily as a preschool vs daycare. If it doesn't pan out that way, then I'll definitely put my younger daughter in Mary Help once the older one starts Heron Heights. Do you know anything about the reputation of Broward Cty schools vs Palm Beach Cty? I know Parkland is about the best place in Broward for public schools & we are really enjoying it here, but we have some friends up in Delray & really like it up there as well. I don't want to sacrifice schools & quality of life just to be closer to good shopping and dining, however.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM

180 posts, read 367,794 times
Coconut Creek and Margate aren't that bad either.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 24,107 times
Quote:
We just relocated from Charlotte NC & are currently renting in Parkland. Very family-friendly & schools are supposed to be great. Our kids are 2 & 4, so we aren't in elementary yet, but have heard good things. I stay at home as well, and am having a little trouble finding a preschool comparable to the one our girls attended in Charlotte. Our kids went to a half day program at a Presbyterian church. Seems like most preschools here offer half day programs, but mostly serve as full day childcare for working parents. Anyone out there have preschool suggestions near Parkland?
We live in North Coral Springs (on the border of Parkland). We send our kids (also 2 & 4) to a VERY good, half-day preschool called Seton Ridge. It's affiliated with St Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, but doesn't run a specifically Catholic progam (I'd say at least half of the kids are non-Catholic). Here's their website:

WE OFFER THE STATE-SPONSORED VPK

The only problem with the program is it fills up VERY quickly. You may have problems getting your kids into their fall program. However, I encourage you to get on the waiting list -- that's how we got our kids in last year.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,840 times
Quote:
Thanks! We took a tour of MHOC & loved it, but opted for Parkridge Christian Academy because it offers VPK. I put both my girls in a 3 week summer camp there so we could get used to it before the start of school in the fall. Right now, I'm pretty much the only mom that is doing a 1/2 day program - seems like most of the kids in their classes are there for the full day as a daycare. But, I'm hopeful that when the school year starts there will be more children attending the 1/2 day VPK and using it primarily as a preschool vs daycare. If it doesn't pan out that way, then I'll definitely put my younger daughter in Mary Help once the older one starts Heron Heights. Do you know anything about the reputation of Broward Cty schools vs Palm Beach Cty? I know Parkland is about the best place in Broward for public schools & we are really enjoying it here, but we have some friends up in Delray & really like it up there as well. I don't want to sacrifice schools & quality of life just to be closer to good shopping and dining, however.
The schools in Parkland are some of the best in the state. You can check out America's Best High Schools - Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/content/newsweek/feature/2011/americas-best-high-schools.html - broken link) to read Newsweek's latest ratings of high schools if you want to compare. I don't know if this is helpful when deciding about elementary schools, but I would think that the high school rankings would strongly reflect the district as a whole. This is a nationwide list, but you can filter by the state that you live in. I love Delray and places closer to the beach up near Palm Beach as well, but I wouldn't move because of the schools. Plus, after 2 1/2 years, we've made some wonderful friends here.

We considered Park Ridge too, but when I went there I also got that feeling of a daycare. Plus, my daughter was already set on CSCA...so we just stayed there.

Good luck and enjoy your time here! I am so glad we moved from up north...been such a great experience for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area