Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM

149 posts, read 465,807 times

Advertisements

People make it sound like to you need to be a millionaire to have a house here...or if you are a young single guy like me (25 years old) and you want a 1 bedroom apartment in South Florida that is nice or somewhat near the beach you need to at least pay $2000 a month for rent (wrong!). Thanks to Rock Newman and Jeffla01 for being real. No disrespect to anyone on here, but my advice to the original poster is to avoid this site and any sites like it. You get some solid information, but in the end a lot of it ends up being all one big contradiction. Just form your own opinion and best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Dont forget Lauderhill, North Lauderdale, Margate, Most of Fort Lauderdale, Don't forget that most of us do not have a lot of money to live in those areas you listed.
Maybe some of us have enough money to live in the places that I listed ..and can stay out of the dumps you listed ... do not assume that everyone that come on this forum is in the same economic situation as you obviously are ... the places I listed also have affordable areas and are not only for the wealthy .

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I have lived in s florida for 27 years, and cannot condone broad generalizations that the entire region is anti family.

There are good solid areas in both Broward and Palm Beach counties to raise families----please do your research and review before you conclude. Moving anywhere requires personal investigation of an area, interviews with residents, and reviewing reliable sources.

Do your due diligence and do not rely soley on the viewpoints of antagonists-----there are very poor areas to live down here, but there are some great family areas with good solid neighborhoods----sounds like that makes South Florida comparable to any other area in the country.

Superb post Jeff .... correct and as like in any other large area of our country ... there are great and not so great places to live in South Florida .. I live in Parkland and also lived in Weston and loved both places ... family friendly , safe and had great neighbors and no I am not wealthy .

Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10693 View Post
People make it sound like to you need to be a millionaire to have a house here...or if you are a young single guy like me (25 years old) and you want a 1 bedroom apartment in South Florida that is nice or somewhat near the beach you need to at least pay $2000 a month for rent (wrong!). Thanks to Rock Newman and Jeffla01 for being real. No disrespect to anyone on here, but my advice to the original poster is to avoid this site and any sites like it. You get some solid information, but in the end a lot of it ends up being all one big contradiction. Just form your own opinion and best of luck

Mike .... there are great affordable places down here and not so great... you have to do your homework and look around ... people either love or hate South Florida ... my family friends and I love it here ... but we also take advantage of the weather , the beach , ocean , I am a diver ... have get togethers , do weekend getaways to the west coast ( Marco Island , Naples , etc ) .. there is both upscale shopping as well as affordable shopping ... a myriad of restaurants .. you just have to get to know the area ... this forum much like South Florida is full of negative people who come here with aspirations of living in paradise and then reality sets in that the area comes with good and bad just like anywhere else .

Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Exactly Rock Newman...I got in touch with an agency that specialized in relocation and they were great for me being a 25 year old single male moving alone. They were honest and told me Fort Lauderdale was a bit out of my price range to start, so I have a nice a nice 1 bedroom in Hollywood for $800 a month near the beach and downtown and I am close to Fort Lauderdale and Miami both. I love it

Old 09-06-2011, 01:25 PM

314 posts, read 817,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Maybe some of us have enough money to live in the places that I listed ..and can stay out of the dumps you listed ... do not assume that everyone that come on this forum is in the same economic situation as you obviously are ... the places I listed also have affordable areas and are not only for the wealthy .
This is a thread on family. I think SoFL is for the very wealthy, prices are through the roof. If you're lucky you could get a foreclosure in a remotely decent area. For the most part it is difficult to find a place such as a 2/2 for less than $1200. To me I think that is ridiculous. The places that were listed as nice and affordable might be affordable for a single person with a nice job but for a family you have to be remotely well-off. Those aren't just middle class areas for families.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 25,299 times
Anywhere you choose to live by the Beach is always more expensive than more inland. There is only so much beach front property available and there will never be more.

There is nothing BUT land here in Florida, but only small slivers of beach up and down the coast. Start at the beach & look westward for more reasonable prices. Usually, (and ALL generalizations suck including this one) the more "reasonable" the price, the more family friendly the area will be because families have so many expenses, they don't blow the budget on housing alone. So mor popularly priced areas will have more families... and kids need friends.

You really have to come down and look... and observe... and remember the beach is never that far away.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10693 View Post
Exactly Rock Newman...I got in touch with an agency that specialized in relocation and they were great for me being a 25 year old single male moving alone. They were honest and told me Fort Lauderdale was a bit out of my price range to start, so I have a nice a nice 1 bedroom in Hollywood for $800 a month near the beach and downtown and I am close to Fort Lauderdale and Miami both. I love it
Mike, in another thread you said you were coming down to look for an apartment and you wanted to know of hotels between Hollywood and Lauderdale. Now you say you have an apartment in Hollywood that you love. I find it very difficult to follow your posts. Your situation seems to change by the minute....

Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Yeah man I totally messed up my post haha. My buddy just got one down in downtown Hollywood near the beach for $800 a month. I am flying down in a month to check them out. Still need a hotel because I am flying down with family and I haven't received much help on that post except from you haha. Fort Lauderdale seems a bit too expensive for downtown or near the beach but my friend managed in Hollywood just fine

Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Why the heck can't I delete that post where I messed up? How do you delete something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area