Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 20,948 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My family (Husband, girl-3, girl-10 and son who stays in the summer age 9) will be relocating to the south FL area within the next 6 months. I would like to hear from the 30ish African-American crowd regarding areas to live that have 30ish black professionals w/families. We definately need a good public school system . We have a large extended family and will probably have constant guests so we need a house with at least 3000 square feet in a safe neighborhood. I would like to have a decent size yard. We do not want to be the only black people in the neighborhood nor do we want to be in the hood. A good mixture is what we are looking for. Coming from Indianapolis and looking forward to more outdoor life minus the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
If you are a looking for a more African American area with decent schools, you'll want to live in West Miramar.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
If you are a looking for a more African American area with decent schools, you'll want to live in West Miramar.
What about Western Sunrise? I have a good friend who lives in the development that is right next to the arena and she is black. Her mother is a professional with Marriott her father is a consultant. Their neighborhood is nicely kept with smaller houses than the OP requested (around 2500 sf).

The neighborhood is not all black but it is not mostly white either. My son has 2 friends who live in the same development and one family is Indian and the other is Hispanic/white. When I go there I see a mix of skin colors and the neighborhood is very pretty.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Nobody will care what your ethnicity is. South Florida doesn't really have a LARGE population of black professionals or a community where they cluster in particular, but they have a presence and are scattered throughout the region. Just look at the areas typically recommended for families- Weston, Cooper City, west Pines, parts of Davie, west Miramar, parts of Coral Springs, etc. Generally speaking, Davie/Cooper City will have less black people then the other areas mentioned, while the others are pretty diverse. It is worth mentioning that Davie is also a favorite among black sports players in some of the newer gated subdivisions. Monarch Lakes in west Miramar will probably be the closest thing to a "middle class black neighborhood" with decent schools, but there are more black people from the Caribbean as opposed to African Americans, and I'm not sure if the homes go that large. As you head further west, the communities are anywhere from 15-40% black. West Pines is also at least 15% black and parts of it have a better high school zone.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 20,948 times
Thank you. Very good info.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,423 times
Hi, to be technical, you will not find a lot of African-Americans in West Miramar. Rather, you will find a lot of well-educated black islanders, primarily Jamaica. I live in West Miramar and am white. However, my next door neighbors are cuban, across the street they are Jamaica, my daughter's best friend a few doors down is Indian, and other neighbors are from spain. It is a melting pot here.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
As others have said it is a melting pot you will be fine where ever you chose. Find a house with a floor plan that makes you happy.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 PM

177 posts, read 405,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmiramarmom View Post
Hi, to be technical, you will not find a lot of African-Americans in West Miramar. Rather, you will find a lot of well-educated black islanders, primarily Jamaica. I live in West Miramar and am white. However, my next door neighbors are cuban, across the street they are Jamaica, my daughter's best friend a few doors down is Indian, and other neighbors are from spain. It is a melting pot here.
I live in Miramar as well and there are about 40% professional African Americans in the area(not including the Islanders). Monarch Lakes is one subdivision with lots of blacks and the area a few blocks west of the Chick-Fil-A by I-75.

Now for a area with reasonable prices and a nice, family-oriented area I'll go with Coconut Creek, Plantation, Pembroke Pines(Silver Lakes is VERY expensive), and Boca Raton.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,586 times
I have a lot of experience with Miramar, and can attest that the city does have a large middle class black population (among other ethnicities). I am pretty new to Plantation, and it seem less diverse but I've seen a few black families so far.

I might consider renting for a year or so before committing to buy in an area, which will give you time to get a feel for the neighborhoods. You can also get a feel from your church, clubs and activities, visiting neighborhoods and meeting people. It's not like home prices are suddenly going to start increasing!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
Anyone know some great white neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area