U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 29,837 times

Advertisements

All, we are planning to relocate to Weston, had a very short visit to the area last week and this was the only brief opportunity to look at available rentals in the area. We really liked the Isles at Weston community - our budget is $2,500 max to rent a 3 BR house with a yard. Is this a nice community? Should we keep exploring others? We have a 2 and 4 year old boys. I will be driving to Brickell for work. Thank you for any input you can provide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,005,502 times
Weston has some of the better schools in the area...but the only way you can tell if it is good for you is to visit and spend some time in the area...try driving around on a Friday/Saturday night to see how quiet the neighborhood is...find out what the garbage days are and drive around...this will give you an idea of how many homes are occupied...vs...vacant...

Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,106,855 times
Isles of Weston is a walking distance from Manatee Bay elementary - a very nice school. And is also very close to Falcon Cove Middle and Cypress Bay High schools. Both are also very good.

Isles of Weston is really good and was the most recent development built in Weston, so it is newer.

And it was built by Centex Homes (as opposed to Arvida that built everything else in Weston).

Isles of Weston is surrounded by school zones. The only way out that does not have school zone is toward State Route 27, which will take you to Miami allright, but not anywhere near Brickell.

If you leave early enough, you could get to Brickell OK, if you take Griffin Rd to I-75, to Gratiny Parkway, to I-95.
Or better yet, just short of getting on I-95, there is a local street (22nd Ave I think) that runs parallel to I-95 all the way to Airport Expressway which you take to I-95, and from there you are not far from Downtown Miami area (we have an office in Brickell and I have co-workers that commute this way).

Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Now, going back home from Brickell is nuts. I usually wait until 7pm before I get on the road.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback!!! Ruski, I GREATLY appreciate the info you provided. I think we will settle on the Isles - we loved it, it will be close for the boys in terms of schools and I'll just have to figure out how to get myself to Brickell!!! Thank you so much for the different routes - priceless info for me as I will start to "experiment" with my commute in about a month. I was concerned about a few reviews of Manatee Bay when people were saying that some classes are held in trailers, it is overcrowded, etc., but am sure it will be fine. Do you by any chance know any good preschools that would be conveniently located in relation to the Isles? Thank you again - this is so very helpful!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM

FWIW, commute back home from Miami in the evening is A Lot better than it used to be when South Florida had a real estate boom a few years ago. Back then, you could see north-bound traffic sitting still at 3pm (in the Brickell area, which is just the beginning of NB I95). Now it is back to normal clog at 5-6pm.

The addition of the express lanes (Sunpass toll) helps a lot too.

Actually last couple of times I had to go to our Miami office, I flew all the way in using the Express lanes:

- one time from our Fort Lauderdale office in the evening - just took I-95 all the way in
- the other time in the morning from Weston (Cypress Bay school area) - took Griffin Rd to I-75 to 826 (Palmetto Expressway) East to I-95 and jumped into the express lane there. I left home just after 7 and I was in the Brickell office by 8am.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 AM

36 posts, read 118,413 times
Loveglam,
My children attended Manatee Bay School last year of school (1st and 5th) and I all can say it's a wonderful school. Get involved as much as you can. I am not sure, depending on the location of the house you rent, that you can walk to school from Isles of Weston. But the kids could ride their bike. Dismissal time is a chaos. Very hard to find a parking spot and very long lines.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Ruski, thank you!!! Now I know what my future coworkers were talking about - they all mentioned that express lane as a life saver!!! I will follow that route on my first day. I was so curious to figure out how to get there from Weston. I learned so much from your posts and am so grateful for the wealth of info - my husband says we owe you a bottle of wine when we get there in August! 'MovingtoBroward', thank you so much for your post, too, walking would be awesome!

All, a very random question, we're considering a property next to a lake at the Isles - would it be a nightmare from the mosquito situation perspective? We live in a highrise in downtown Chicago now, so, know nothing about what living on a lake in Weston would translate to in term of mosquitos!!! Now that I know about the schools and the express lane, need to get my mosquito IQ up :-) with your help.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Mosquitoes in Weston aren't as bad as they used to be back in the early 2000's. Back then, during a wet season, I used to get a dozen of stings as soon as I stepped out the door.

I think the authorities have taken some measures in the last few years and have been spraying stuff to kill mosquitoes. I walk outside quite a bit and can't remember the last time I had to apply any repellent.

Of course every once in a while I see an occasional mosquito.

I have friends who live on a lake, and we spent time in their backyard, and I didn't get any mosquito bites. But my friend still say he wants to install the system that sprays repellent.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Lake Exposure - Continued

Ruski, thank you so much again. As we're considering this property on the lake, I have another question - what about alligators? I know I might sound naive, but I don't want to be paranoid every time my boys run outside: that house has a fenced yard but no screen on the patio (that's why we were concerned about mosquitos). I'll start a separate thread to get more input from those who live on the lake, but you're always so informative that I want to get input from you first. Thank you again for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>