U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 PM

29 posts, read 53,462 times

Advertisements

Noelfan34 - Right now at 8:00P.M. the temperature in Frisco, Texas is 100 degrees. The same time in Ft. Lauderdale (9:00 P.M.) is 83 degrees. Smart on our part. We can not sit outside on our patio at home for the heat. No wind and high humidity. We just came in from watching the fireworks on our balcony at our condo in FL - breezy and very nice and cool to us (we are 26 floors up). Texas heat is brutal. Can not compare with Florida. We are very happy to be in this type of heat and humidity compared to Dallas area. And rain- Texas has seen NO rain. Dry and brown. Florida looks like a paradise of plants, trees and flowers to us. Loving those showers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Liljo22 - Glad that you know what I am talking about with the heat in Texas. We have lived in Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, Victoria, and Houston. All unbearable during the summer - May to September. i also lived in Fort Worth during the infamous Heat Wave of 1980. We had 69 straight days of over 100 degree heat each day. Our hottest temp was 113 degrees. My candles melted in my upstairs apt. unit and the apt. complex had to float blocks of ice in the swimming pool. So many elderly people died that summer. It was not fun. When you walk outside and it feels like a fire is hitting your face, that is Texas in the summer time.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 17,572 times
wow, did not know Texas was that hot! Makes me feel even better about getting a place in Lauderdale.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Default We love it here - good decision on our part to be in FL

These are the temperatures of highs and lows for the next 5 days in Dallas, Texas from the Weather Channel. Yep, much better here in South Florida. And there is humidity each morning with these temps. Boy and that 20% chance of rain is a big deal for Texas. Most of the state is in a severe drought. My in-laws have not had measurable rain since last September.
Monthly
Map
Tonight
Jul 6
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun

Partly Cloudy Mostly Sunny Isolated T-Storms Mostly Sunny Sunny
102°F 103° 102° 100° 101°
High High High High High
78° 79° 80° 79° 79°
Low Low Low Low Low
Chance of Rain:
20% Chance of Rain:
20% Chance of Rain:
30% Chance of Rain:
10% Chance of Rain:
0%
Details Details Details Details

Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,637 times
You do realize it has been unusually cool in Fort Lauderdale the past 2 weeks right? We've had nothing but rain and black clouds. Virtually no sunlight for 2 weeks. It is usually in the high 90's here in July.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Well to each their own. Yes, yes, yes we know about Florida weather. We will take it over the Texas weather anytime. And we have been through many tornadoes in Dallas area and Tropical storms and hurricanes in Houston area when we lived there. Still glad to be here and loving it. Noel, seems that you don't really don't care for FL- hope that you live elsewhere or planning to move. It is a shame when life is so short that your have to be miserable or not really enjoy where you live. Hope that someday that you find an area that you love.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM

614 posts, read 1,519,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
Hi all, just bought a condo in downtown Lauderdale a few months back and I have to say we love it so far. We are in our late 30's from Ohio and wanted a place to go in the winter time. We originally were looking in Miami, but settled on Fort Lauderdale because of better condo prices, more laid back, less traffic, don't need to know Spanish.

I was a little worried because postings here from many people mentioned complaints about rude people, however, I have found that just about every body I have met have been super nice. I am a pretty social person, and I usually make the first approach to people, but once I do, I have found that people are very nice and engaging (I think alot of people who say people are rude here may have body language that says they don't want to be approached - even if they do). In other words, if you sat at a bar and just remained silent, odds are you would never meet anybody, but if you just smile and say hello or ask a simple question and open up, 9 times out of 10, people will be nice to you and talk to you.

We love living in downtown Lauderdale because it is close to restaurants of all types, night life, the beach, the river, and shopping. Hard Rock and Miami is also close if we choose to do that. So far we love it and it is not even winter in Ohio yet!

P.S. - thanks for all the posters on this site and we found it invaluable during our condo search.

^^^Very refreshing to read some positive feedback!!!!

Congrats on your move/purchase and may you continue to enjoy!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:48 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscodana View Post
Well to each their own. Yes, yes, yes we know about Florida weather. We will take it over the Texas weather anytime. And we have been through many tornadoes in Dallas area and Tropical storms and hurricanes in Houston area when we lived there. Still glad to be here and loving it. Noel, seems that you don't really don't care for FL- hope that you live elsewhere or planning to move. It is a shame when life is so short that your have to be miserable or not really enjoy where you live. Hope that someday that you find an area that you love.
friscodana-

I am very happy here and am one of the few posters on CD who actually is happy living in South FL. But it is very, very hot here. It is one of the hottest areas of the country and stays hot much longer than everywhere else.

If you ask 1000 people which state or region of the country is hottest, 100 will say Florida, 100 will say Texas, 100 will say New York City, 100 will say Georgia, etc. Everyone thinks their state is the hottest. I think it is very subjective. FL has worse humidity than Texas but Texas has higher temps in the summer at various points. Some people think dry heat is hotter and some think wet heat is hotter.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 AM

461 posts, read 971,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
friscodana-

I am very happy here and am one of the few posters on CD who actually is happy living in South FL. But it is very, very hot here. It is one of the hottest areas of the country and stays hot much longer than everywhere else.

If you ask 1000 people which state or region of the country is hottest, 100 will say Florida, 100 will say Texas, 100 will say New York City, 100 will say Georgia, etc. Everyone thinks their state is the hottest. I think it is very subjective. FL has worse humidity than Texas but Texas has higher temps in the summer at various points. Some people think dry heat is hotter and some think wet heat is hotter.
That is a bad rumor. West Texas is dry heat. Central to East Texas where most of the population is averages about 70% humidity in the summer. Here in Houston, the humidity is usually 80-90%. It is very hot June to September but is absolutely beautiful from October through May.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

37 posts, read 101,694 times
I would add that "Florida" is not at all monolithic when it comes to temperature. Having lived in Tallahassee during the summer (July, August), it is the most brutally hot place I have ever been in the US. It's hot, humid, and in a hole not near the ocean, with no wind/air movement. Horrible.

Fort Lauderdale, on the other hand, with the ocean tempering things, is more reasonable (and possibly "not as hot as Texas"--though I haven't spent much time in Texas).

These differences are slight, but significant I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area