U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,200 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have heard lots of mixed reviews on Oakland Park, many seeming to be related to what specific area you're in.

My boyfriend and I are moving to Lake View Club Condos in the Oakland Forest area. Talking with people in the condo complexes in that loop said they felt safe, that there were a lot of young professionals and beginning families in the area.

I really love the condo, but am afraid I believed too much hype?? I would love feedback on people who know that specific part of Oakland Park!

Thanks so much for any help & info you may give. I appreciate the support!

Best
Heather
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 AM

259 posts, read 1,221,152 times
Always a difficult question to answer without knowing a person's tolerance for ethnic and social non-homogeneity. As I recall Oakland Forest is west of 95 and north of Oakland Park Blvd and just west of Blue Heron Lake. I believe you will be in an area that is virtually a couple of square miles of similar little townhouse complexes. My guess is you are paying around $150K or so?

In South Florida, guaranteed homogeneity comes with a price tag and at $150k, you won't be getting that. Nonetheless, those little complexes don't look distressed to me and the setting has a lot of greenspace.

To the east, you have Wilton Manors which is continually transitioning upwards and to the west, you have Lauderdale Lakes and Inverrary, which is now basically owned by Canadian snowbirds. To the south, however, is Lauderhill, which is a distressed area.

For your implied budget range, I don't think it is a bad selection from just my general knowledge. Just know at $150, not everyone will be on the up and coming side of life like you are.

Last edited by casualobserver; 07-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: forgot one thought

Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,200 times
Thank you or your feedback. I am ok with the "diversity" that comes with the price range we can afford for right now.

My biggest concern is being and feeling safe. I realize there is crime all over, however where I live now I cannot go outside alone after dark, even within the confines of my apartment complex. So I am wanting to live in a place where I can be ok and safe to take my dog for a walk at 11pm, or if I am getting home from class late etc. I spoke with a couple women who live in the cul-de-sac of Oakland Forest now and both said they felt completely safe being out alone at night, which helped ease some of my concern as well.

Again thanks for the input!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,388,971 times
I personally would not recommend the area. The way I would describe the area is a small pocket of half-decent apartment complexes amongst a vast sea of poverty stricken ghetto areas. The area is very transient and you generally see lower income tenants with poor credit living there. You can walk outside alone at night inside of your own complex, but I wouldn't stray too far. Oakland Park Blvd is generally a low class area with lots of vagrants hanging out on the sidewalks. I imagine there are lots of home-invasion burglaries and property crimes in those parts.

My general philosophy in Broward County is to either live in the extreme eastern portion east of US1 or to live west of University Drive.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Noles2008 View Post
I spoke with a couple women who live in the cul-de-sac of Oakland Forest now and both said they felt completely safe being out alone at night, which helped ease some of my concern as well.
You are not going to get better insight from an anonymous message board than you will firsthand from residents.

You can also ease your concern wherever you live with a cannister of bear mace in your pocket.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
You are not going to get better insight from an anonymous message board than you will firsthand from residents.

You can also ease your concern wherever you live with a cannister of bear mace in your pocket.
By the same token, you're taking one resident's opinion for granted when if you asked 100 residents 95% would say it is unsafe.

I've never lived there but I know the area well and have drive through many times. Like I said, the apartments are decent in those complexes but the area around them is not very good. You are in the Northwest quadrant of Fort Lauderdale which is the worst quadrant.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM

274 posts, read 206,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post

The advice you received about far east or west of University Dr. ( I would even saw west of Pine Island Or Flamingo in South Broward is as easy and staright forward as it gets.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
The advice you received about far east or west of University Dr. ( I would even saw west of Pine Island Or Flamingo in South Broward is as easy and staright forward as it gets.
I don't disagree that is the answer for the avoidance of all doubt. However, those locations also come with a higher price tag, especially for those interested in buying.

However, if someone is watching likely regentrification patterns, you could get a higher ROI if you buy in a transitioning zone and can wait it out for the eventual recovery. I think that Oakland Park corridor, staying north of Lauderhill, has that 5-7 year potential.

I foresee eventual population expansion and redevelopment forcing a corridor to emerge somewhere going east to west....making a connection between the two "always safe" zones. I don't think it will happen along Broward or Sunrise...too much Section 8 entrenched along that corridor, so my bet is either along Oakland Park to the north or Davie Blvd to the South in order to keep it as close to downtown as possible.

Just my theory.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM

casual observer-

I don't see that scenario happening anytime soon. Maybe in 25-30 years. As long as our economy continues to decline and we face economic armegedon with the debt ceiling about to hit, this country (especially South FL) is in for tough times.

In the meantime, I think the original poster would be safer buying in East Pompano than the area mentioned west of I95. East Pompano is safer, nicer, and closer to the water. IMO areas closer to the water have higher growth potential under your scenario.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,570,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Noles2008 View Post
Hi all,

I have heard lots of mixed reviews on Oakland Park, many seeming to be related to what specific area you're in.

My boyfriend and I are moving to Lake View Club Condos in the Oakland Forest area. Talking with people in the condo complexes in that loop said they felt safe, that there were a lot of young professionals and beginning families in the area.

I really love the condo, but am afraid I believed too much hype?? I would love feedback on people who know that specific part of Oakland Park!

Thanks so much for any help & info you may give. I appreciate the support!

Best
Heather
There is a rough area immediately to the north of that Oakland Forest area (past the canal) along 31st, but otherwise the community is fine, although it's not the "nicest side of town" overall. That being said, I wouldn't buy in that area, but renting would be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area