Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Ok so I guess most Latinos that have been here for over two years do not speak any English and yet most Eastern Europeans who have been here for over two years do ?

What a stupid thread .. I hope the moderator shuts it down .
Just saying what I experience. I can go to a deli around the corner from me and still can't order anything without drawing pictures, pointing, repeating myself and then getting the wrong thing. You work at a deli, in the United States. I speak clearly, there is no excuse. Or would you like the example of the Mexican restaurant that can't understand pork tacos?

I can go to my home town in the Polish section and still order things flawlessly from a Polish butcher for example. Or even have a conversation with the Macedonian lady at the dollar store.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

126 posts, read 711,468 times
The question you should be asking is "Why can't people down here teach themselves English when they moved to an English speaking country? It's not that hard, it would be much better for them if they learned English?" Actually, we don't give them any reason to learn English as we cater to all of their wants and needs. It's just plain annoying. We our one country and we should all speak the same language. My father's family came from Europe speaking no English, but they quickly learned how, because in the 70's they had no choice, plus, they spoke Macedonian and Czech, which isn't catered to here. We shouldn't have to learn Spanish to live comfortably in our own country. It's a shame that they can infiltrate our country and we have to live with it. Oh well, what can you do? The hispanic population is growing so rapidly that business owners would rather cater to them to make money than have them learn our language. We just let them be much too comfortable and they don't try to adapt to our culture as a result. Where are all the signs in French, German, Japanese, Chinese etc??

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Stay in Houston and keep your intellectual and insightful comments over there please .
Not a chance.

Afterall, What's good for the goose is good for the gander, You like to post in other forums and unlike you and Houston, I lived 18 long years in the Sunshine State. My opinion, as unpopular to you as it could be, is still valid.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
I have been to large American Ex Pat communities in Costa Rica , Panama , Mexico ( Guadalajara Chapala Area ) and Puerto Rico ( Dorado ) and most of these white non hispanic Americans have not learned sqat of Spanish , they all hang out together , speak only English expect the locals to speak English , etc , etc .. sound familair huh ?
Are they just visiting or did they move to those countries and expect the locals to learn their language ? I know for a fact that to get Mexican citizenship that it's required to be fluent in spanish.

Quote:
By the way go hang out in Sunny Isles , or Hallandale one week end and tell me if you see and hear the Russian or other eastern European immigrants speaking English among themselves or even speaking English at all ???
I didn't recall seeing the OP mention Russians or Europeans...

Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Are they just visiting or did they move to those countries and expect the locals to learn their language ? I know for a fact that to get Mexican citizenship that it's required to be fluent in spanish.

^^They move(d) because they like the culture/living in the respective location (from what I have discussed with others who have done so....). I don't think anyone in their right mind moves to another country expecting the locals to learn language their native tongue. As a matter of fact, I took the OP's idea/POV with a "grain of salt", as it is obviously just that. No one can force anyone to do anything (learn a language against their will in terms of this discussion).

Needless to say, getting uptight about this thread (generally speaking from what I have read) is about as silly as "forcing" another to learn a language against their will. However, there seems to be more to this thread if one reads between the lines.

Of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.............

Last edited by SummerBabe; 07-08-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Not a chance.

Afterall, What's good for the goose is good for the gander, You like to post in other forums and unlike you and Houston, I lived 18 long years in the Sunshine State. My opinion, as unpopular to you as it could be, is still valid.

I live in South Florida ... thus I post in both the Miami and Ft.Lauderdale forums and I travel to Houston for work every three months or so and unlike you I try and make balanced posts both positive and negative . You rag on South Florida constantly and recently you posted that you did not like the people in Houston ... which is crazy since they are some of the best people in the country .. sounds like you clearly have the issues and are a prime example of a few who have hijacked CDF to vent about their miserable existences .

Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:

I didn't recall seeing the OP mention Russians or Europeans...
Ex-Pat or Ex-Patriate ... look up the word and then you will have your answer ... Einstein .

No but I did bring up the Russians and Eastern Europeans as examples , as this post seems to have an anti Hispanic tone ... which is unfair .

Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Ok so I guess most Latinos that have been here for over two years do not speak any English and yet most Eastern Europeans who have been here for over two years do ?

What a stupid thread .. I hope the moderator shuts it down .

You guessed right. That's what it's like here in SWF. Those from Europe who live here part time do speak english. Yet, those hispanic latinos don't and dont' plan on doing so anytime soon.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I find the original poster's views offensive. Don't tell me I need to learn Spanish in my own country in order to communicate with people like you. This is what drives me nuts. When you chose to speak Spanish in public, you are sending a message that you chose not to assimilate with the rest of society. I find it to be rude sort of like when people whisper to one another around you.

English is the language of the United States whether you like it or not. It always has been and always will be. The European immigrants all learned English quickly when they arrived in the U.S. They were eager to learn the language so that they could find jobs and assimilate into society. There is no reason why the Spanish speakers cannot do the same.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I will continue to complain about the lack of immigrants learning to speak English, and I have no plan on learning to speak Spanish. I have had no problem comunicating in South Florida with those who "pretend" to not understand English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area