U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM

778 posts, read 1,517,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
i've never seen Yao Ming insult americans demanding that they should learn his language to make his life easier! lol thats the difference, but i get your point
Yep..Ironic the two most important languages to compete in this new global world are English and Chinese..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,598,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You guessed right. That's what it's like here in SWF. Those from Europe who live here part time do speak english. Yet, those hispanic latinos don't and dont' plan on doing so anytime soon.
"Hispanic Latinos" .... wow I did not know there was any other kind is that opposed to "Hispanic Anglos " ????

Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Yep..Ironic the two most important languages to compete in this new global world are English and Chinese..
That is true .. English is the global language of business .... but it will probably lose its place to Mandarin Chinese in the next twenty years - thirty years or so .

Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
as if that isn't already unsettling enough, now some are demanding that we learn THEIR language....lol....doesn't really sit well with me

also take this perspective, the united states is a HUGE country with over 300M people. i'm sure there are plenty of non-hispanic spanish speakers in this country, yet some still find a reason to complain. like i said, those in favor of requiring US citizens to learn their foreign language, simply put, have a small-minded mentality.

i've never seen Yao Ming insult americans demanding that they should learn his language to make his life easier! lol thats the difference, but i get your point

Who the hell is demanding that we learn "their" language .. WTF .. the only thing I see here is English speakers demanding that Hispanics and other ethnic groups learn English .... I have been on this forum for almost two years now and I have to yet to see a Hispanic or any other ethnicity complaining or demanding that we "learn " their language .. you may see the Chinese doing that in a couple of decades or so ... but I have not seen Hispanics doing that on here ???

Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
as if that isn't already unsettling enough, now some are demanding that we learn THEIR language....lol....doesn't really sit well with me

also take this perspective, the united states is a HUGE country with over 300M people. i'm sure there are plenty of non-hispanic spanish speakers in this country, yet some still find a reason to complain. like i said, those in favor of requiring US citizens to learn their foreign language, simply put, have a small-minded mentality.

I have not seen Manu Ginobilli insult Americans demanding they should learn his language to make his life easier either .. come to think of it I did see Shakira theatening to kick your ass if you did not speak Spanish in public !!!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM

264 posts, read 681,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Who the hell is demanding that we learn "their" language .. WTF .. the only thing I see here is English speakers demanding that Hispanics and other ethnic groups learn English .... I have been on this forum for almost two years now and I have to yet to see a Hispanic or any other ethnicity complaining or demanding that we "learn " their language .. you may see the Chinese doing that in a couple of decades or so ... but I have not seen Hispanics doing that on here ???
Umm the OP?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Umm the OP?
Ummm ... I do not see the OP "demanding " anything .. I took it as a "tongue in cheek " comment about how some non Spanish speakers seem to be obsessed with that topic and how it riles them to hear any Spanish in public ... the rest was something about people over 50 being mean and menopause ... I do not think the OP had the intention of setting off a fire storm of vitriol and veiled anti Hispanic comments .

Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM

264 posts, read 681,551 times
Oh ok gotcha, I think most of the comments have been fair but maybe I missed a few

Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Oh ok gotcha, I think most of the comments have been fair but maybe I missed a few
Hey as a non Spanish speaker .. it has bugged me from time to time to encounter service personnel who did not speak English or barely spoke English .... but it was never enough for me to lose sleep over it or consider moving to Yahooville , Arkansas or somewhere in South Carolina ... I usually have encountered this in Miami and not so much Broward County ... again it is a petty issue when you consider the real problems we have with our moribund economy , climate change , crime and health care ... funny most of the Hispanics that I know who are professional by the way ... are now US citizens and not one has ever expressed disrespect for the US .. so it pains me to perceive so many veiled anti - Hispanic comments here .. anyhow life goes on and I will remove myself from this thread as it is becoming a bore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area