Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,560 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to S. Florida. Currently live in a far north suburb of Chicago. Spent 20 years Military so we have moved all over (Northeast, NC, Cali desert, and midwest) . My husband would be working in Miami. We were looking at Westin, Penbroke Pines, Davie area. We were hoping he could have a commute under 45 minutes. He will have a little bit of flexibility as far as work times. Have one daughter who is 10. Wanting to find a good Catholic school, as that is all she has ever know. They seem very hard to get in to there. Would take a top notich public school as a last resort. Looking for a really familly friendly community. Will rent the first year so will not be too tied down to an exact location but once we move somewhere we wont want to move too far away so we would not have to change schools. Our budget will be up to 2500 for a rental home. My daughter also ice skates so would like to be not too far from an ice rink. I'm an RN so I was thinking its not going to be that hard to find a job, as healthcare seems to be the only thing hiring in most places now. I have read a bunch of the posts about how horrible S Florida is, so I am really looking more for those who are positive about the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,548 times
If you find a place around Davie, Cooper City, or Plantation, you can send your daughter to St Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale. Easily one of the top all-around schools in Broward County.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
The job market here is bad, but your field is doing better than most.

Commuting to Miami- It depends which part of Miami and which city you chose to live in. Commuting from Pembroke Pines is different than commuting from Davie. It will be borderline 45 minutes, but some days may be 1+ hours. It depends on traffic.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 AM

392 posts, read 1,260,834 times
Catholic Schools around the Davie, Pemboke Pines area that are excellent are St. Mark Catholic School - Kindergarten to 8th www.stmarknet.com and then Archbishop McCarthy High School www.mccarthyhigh.org

Pembroke Pines has a large Ice Arena for your daugher called Pines Ice Arena www.pinesicearena.com

A commute time would all depend on where in Miami your husband would be working. It could be 45 minutes to over an hour.....

Hospitals around the area for RN positions would be Cleveland Clinic, Memorial Healthcare System (Memorial West and Memorial Miramar) are closest to Pines and Davie and Westside Regional

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 7,805 times
Hi- I live and work in the Pembroke Pines area, there are good schools and nice homes to rent in West Pembroke Pines(in the 2500$ range). Which would still be only a 15 minute drive at most to the ice skating rink located in Pembroke Pines.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,560 times
Southafrica75, Thanks for the input on St Marks. That was one of the schools were were looking at! Hi work will be at the Coast Guard Station.
Danain thanks for the skating rink info!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
I knew a USCG cutter captain who lived in Weston and commuted to the Coast Guard Station in Miami.

Also a few of his co-workers lived in Weston.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM

25 posts, read 51,055 times
Avoid the Pompano Beach and Lauderhill, unless you feel comfortable with extreme diversity of people with different customs and way of life.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM

38 posts, read 102,286 times
before moving or looking for information in pembroke pines look for detention center to be constructed at southwest ranches 1 mile from Pembroke Pines high school. 1800 bed with >1000 employees the majority of them from outside PP area therefore increase traffic.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasinapod View Post
We are thinking of relocating to S. Florida. Currently live in a far north suburb of Chicago. Spent 20 years Military so we have moved all over (Northeast, NC, Cali desert, and midwest) . My husband would be working in Miami. We were looking at Westin, Penbroke Pines, Davie area. We were hoping he could have a commute under 45 minutes. He will have a little bit of flexibility as far as work times. Have one daughter who is 10. Wanting to find a good Catholic school, as that is all she has ever know. They seem very hard to get in to there. Would take a top notich public school as a last resort. Looking for a really familly friendly community. Will rent the first year so will not be too tied down to an exact location but once we move somewhere we wont want to move too far away so we would not have to change schools. Our budget will be up to 2500 for a rental home. My daughter also ice skates so would like to be not too far from an ice rink. I'm an RN so I was thinking its not going to be that hard to find a job, as healthcare seems to be the only thing hiring in most places now. I have read a bunch of the posts about how horrible S Florida is, so I am really looking more for those who are positive about the area. Thanks!

I would throw Cooper City into the mix with Weston , West Davie and Pembroke Pines .... if your husband can stand adding an additional fifteen minutes into the traffic mix also look in Plantation which is very , very nice especially west of University Drive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area