U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 AM

6,926 posts, read 10,795,914 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving back to Florida but I don't know. I'm still in high school. I was suppose to move back earlier this summer near Port St. Lucie but I decided not to out of fear of not finding a job. Which I KNOW I wasn't going to get. The unemployment rate is worse over there than most areas of Florida. I didn't want to waste my time. But I've been thinking about it again lately and I need to be in Florida to graduate. I can't explain why. There are too many details. But I definitely need to be over there rather than here. I just want to know what is the job market like for teens in the Fort Lauderdale area? I have no experience working. Is that going to effect my chances? Need insight, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 PM

So nobody knows what the job market is like for teens in the Fort Lauderdale area? Maybe I should have re-phrased it. How HARD is it to get a job for a teenager?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM

389 posts, read 967,506 times
Look, with your lack of experience in the job market all you can really do is get a job in retail or fast food. Maybe even a grocery store. It's a good way to get your foot in the door. Go to the mall and see if anyone is hiring. Most of us can't tell you how the market is for teens because we are not teenagers anymore. But either way, GL!!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Look, with your lack of experience in the job market all you can really do is get a job in retail or fast food. Maybe even a grocery store. It's a good way to get your foot in the door. Go to the mall and see if anyone is hiring. Most of us can't tell you how the market is for teens because we are not teenagers anymore. But either way, GL!!
Well that is what I meant. I was only talking about fast food and retail. I was wondering if it's going to be hard to get a job over there. Thanks for responding. I hope more people can fill me in.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM

389 posts, read 967,506 times
Really don't know if that sort of market is the same as career markets. I'm pretty sure there are jobs. I think the turnover is greater in retail.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM

48 posts, read 126,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Really don't know if that sort of market is the same as career markets. I'm pretty sure there are jobs. I think the turnover is greater in retail.
I think you will find it more difficult than if this were a couple of years ago. When I was unemployed I filled out hundreds of applications to all kinds of retail and typical jobs teens and young adults work at to no avail. Its been a while though, maybe its different now im not sure. If you can think of any possible connections you have I'd definitely use them. Ive gotten more responses/interviews from Craigslist job ads than being a walk-in or randomly filling out online applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area