Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 10,271 times

Advertisements

We have lived just west of Pompano Isles, off McNab in both Cypress Island and High Ridge Estates, since 2002 (our boat only has a ttop, we can get under the Federal Bridge). We have 3 small children and my husband travels for work, and I feel perfectly safe here - certainly as safe as I'd feel in any other eastern waterfront suburb (LHP is just as close to bad neighborhoods as Pompano Isles). I run most mornings at 6 am and I am not the only one, have done it for years without a problem.

There are occasional house break-ins, and the apartments west of us mentioned by prev posters off Cypress and Atlantic are not wonderful, but it's certainly not a ghetto until you hit Dixie as previously mentioned. We do hear the 'ghetto bird' (Sheriff helicopter) more than we'd like, and we do call it Pompton, but it's tongue in cheek, I swear! Again, for an eastern waterfront suburb, it's very much normal.

I don't know the other areas as well, blueyfisher, but I LOVE Pompano - this area is full of cool, down-to-earth, fun young families, and we've made so many great friends. Can't go to Publix without running into someone we know, and our kids' (private) school is wonderful. The public elementary you'd be zoned for is McNab which is actually a very solid eastern public school, just too big and too budget-cut for our preference.

Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
Hi Danny, the people who say to live east/right of US1 are correct. Crime rate west/left of US1 in Pompano is not good. My folks have been living in 33062 for over 10 years with No problems, however their church is on the wrong side of US1 and their Pastor's bike was stolen out of his garage while he was washing his car. So it's safe east of US1 and not safe/good west of US1 in Pompano.

I myself am moving to the area next week and have been to about 12 neighborhoods in the past month checking them out on the weekends. (I live an hour north in Palm Beach Gardens currently).

You and I are in the same price range - I like Lauderdale Isles, Pompano Isles and Coral Ridge, Coral Ridge Estates, Coral Ridge Isles, Poinsettia Heights. I would agree there is no shopping near Lauderdale Isles, however I like the boating community and the streets there very much. Also the high school is super close. In Coral Ridge and Poinsettia it doesn't have a ton of areas with water like some other communities but higher price range and better quality of people/close to shopping, restaurants.

You might also want to check out around Harbor Drive/near the new Publix on Atlantic. Very nice area, convenient to everything, many homes on the water and close to Tpike and I95.

happy hunting.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
I'm happy to see that several posters defended Pompano Isles when this thread was established three years ago (when I was not a City-Data member). My home at the northern tip of Fort Lauderdale is within walking distance of that area and I've often taken my daily walks through there. It's one of the quietest and seemingly safest areas I know of. We have friends who live there and they have yet to mention any issues with crime of any sort.

Some of the negative posts are laughable. It's necessary to have to travel through "the ghetto" to reach Pompano Isles? If you work in downtown Fort Lauderdale or the business district of Boca, as many of my neighbors do, it's a straight shot north or south on Federal Highway -- not the most attractive drive with all the strip malls and fast-food joints, but hardly ghetto. Others work in the Cypress Creek/Executive Airport area and travel on Northeast 62nd Street through Imperial Point and Coral Ridge Isles -- both nice areas. And if you lived, say, in downtown Fort Lauderdale and worked west, chances are good you'd take Broward Boulevard or Sunrise Boulevard through some less-than-pristine areas. Thousands do this every day without incident, and it's the same with someone who makes the east/west drive through Pompano -- although I do recommend avoiding Hammondville Road.

Few Americans live in Pompano? Aside from showing racial/ethnic intolerance, the post provides no supporting numbers and thus lacks credibility.

Certain posters have their "heads in the sand"? The poster this was aimed at (Nolefan) is very knowledgeable about all things good and bad about Broward. It's the type of snarky post that typically gets lot of "attaboys/attagirls" and earns rep points from like-minded people, but it's inaccurate, as well as being a borderline personal attack.

Many people are too quick to generalize about any area. The term "ghetto" is thrown out too casually and inaccurately. Yes, Pompano has crime-ridden, dangerous areas, as does the rest of Broward. So does Chicago. But does the entirety of Chicago, which has many highly livable neighborhoods, deserve to be called "ghetto" based on crime-ridden areas? No. Neither do Broward or Pompano Beach. If you want to say parts of these places are "ghetto," then I'm buying it.

And for the record I do not work for Pompano, belong to the Chamber of Commerce, etc. It's indisputable that there are highly dangerous areas in the city that are among South Florida's worst. The city's government traditionally has been behind the times -- while Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Delray Beach were redeveloping their downtowns, Pompano Beach's languished and has only recently shown signs of life. And if you live in Pompano Beach Isles and have children, I agree that you'll probably have to send them to public schools.

But if Pompano Isles is a hellhole, it's one of the nicest hellholes I've ever seen.

Last edited by Papillons2; 07-15-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,708 times
Pompano has a lot of crime. Check the Broward County Crime Mapping for Pompano.

Check out these real-time statistic crime mapping links for Broward county sheriff and the City of fort Lauderdale. Be sure to change the dates to get a better read for all of the crimes over the entire year. There are a lot of residential break-ins. I’m not buying anywhere down here where I cannot not have a peace of mind when I go to sleep. The only thing that seems safe to me is buying in a high rise condo. Fort Lauderdale has a ton of crime. Even the high-end coral ridge neighborhood has break-ins. The proof is in the numbers.
Here is the crime mapping for the city of fort Lauderdale: RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing (just type in fort Lauderdale in the address)
Here is the crime mapping for the sheriff’s office of Broward County: CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
. I see white blonde haired women jogging along US1 and A1A. They seem to be comfortable.

LOL. And we all know that this is the definitive criterion of a 'non-ghetto' area. That is of course unless the blond haired Caucasian chicks are total ghetto trash themselves.

Sorry, Nole. That one was just too funny to let get by.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
LOL. And we all know that this is the definitive criterion of a 'non-ghetto' area. That is of course unless the blond haired Caucasian chicks are total ghetto trash themselves.

Sorry, Nole. That one was just too funny to let get by.
Please don't take my comments out of context. I said that in response to another poster who said Pompano is all Jamacian/Hatian. That's why I brought up blonde haired white women. Otherwise, I would not have brought up race.

Have you ever been to Eastern Pompano? It is fairly safe and mostly middle class snowbirds, tourists, or younger people renting beach condos. It is a very laid back area, cool place to live. Eastern Pompano is as safe as Eastern Fort Lauderdale or Eastern Hollywood. In fact, I'd give it an edge in safety on both of those areas. Would you ever go to East Fort Lauderdale? Or do you avoid all of Eastern Broward County like the plague?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area