Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 18,300 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am doing my searching online now, my wife and I are moving to the area in 6 mnths or so and have narrowed down to the following potential areas so far 1.Pompano isles (east of federal, SE 10, 11 th st etc)
2.Citrus isles
3.Lauderdale isles

I know we have to take a really good look around when we get there but we wanted to get a jumpstart on opinions and pro's or con's of those neighborhoods from those here who know them well.

The reason for those areas is as a Sportboat owner i need deepwater with No fixed bridges but at a price range of no more than 500k which seems to put us in the ballpark in those neighborhoods for a 3/2 1500-2000sqft home.Maybe there are other areas i should consider too?

I want somewhere safe and in a nice family area for my wife to not be looking out the window all night when i am away with work for a week at a time each mnth. I also would like to feel that i am in an area where we can raise children in the near future without having to move again.

We definately want to be near the beach, on a canal with deepwater access and so with that being the case do you like those areas i have mentioned?

Any and all input is certainly very much appreciated

Thankyou for your help

Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Pompano Isles is by far the nicest area of the 3 you mentioned. It is also closest to the beach. There are restaurants and there is shopping in the area.

Lauderdale Isles is a mixed neighborhood near downtown. I personally wouldn't want to live there. No shopping to speak of. It is ok I guess but not that nice. The only reason to live there is if you work downtown and want a small house close to downtown.

That Citrus Isles neighborhood is ok, but is surrounded by lower class neighborhoods and trailer park communities. It is also right off of a major expressway interchange of 595 and 441. I imagine it is noisy there due to all of the road noise. There is also a major construction project going on there to widen the expressway and build new ramps.

None of the 3 areas you mentioned are known for their schools, so I'm not sure about settling down there with kids. You can do your research but there may be other areas that are better. But just between the 3, I would take Pompano Isles hands down.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for your opinion Nolefan

That's very helpfull, as far as schools yes i have heard that they are not in the best school districts but We will more than likely go the private school route.

If there are other areas i have not mentioned that we should look into for that under 500k range with direct ocean access then please let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 51,055 times
I recommend Pompano Beach if you like hip hop, bass music, rap, and island people like Jamaican/Haitian accent. You got to definitely like diversity here!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSM View Post
I recommend Pompano Beach if you like hip hop, bass music, rap, and island people like Jamaican/Haitian accent. You got to definitely like diversity here!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh i did not think that was the case in pompano isles, east of US1
seemed to look more like a middle class white and family area from the demographics and stats i read.

Maybe other areas of pompano beach are like that but pompano isles also ??

Ok maybe i have to re evaluate

Thanks for your input David.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyfisher View Post
Oh i did not think that was the case in pompano isles, east of US1
seemed to look more like a middle class white and family area from the demographics and stats i read.

Maybe other areas of pompano beach are like that but pompano isles also ??

Ok maybe i have to re evaluate

Thanks for your input David.
That is true in the Western half of Pompano where crime is rampant. The area you're looking in is the Eastern portion of Pompano which is safe, nice, and predominantly white middle class.

Pompano Beach gets a bad rap around here because it has the highest crime rate in Broward County. But all of the crime originates from the Western portion of Pompano west of Dixie Highway where there is a very bad neighborhood. Many people here Pompano is bad so they think they should avoid the entire city. It is actually pretty safe east of US1.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
That is true in the Western half of Pompano where crime is rampant. The area you're looking in is the Eastern portion of Pompano which is safe, nice, and predominantly white middle class.

Pompano Beach gets a bad rap around here because it has the highest crime rate in Broward County. But all of the crime originates from the Western portion of Pompano west of Dixie Highway where there is a very bad neighborhood. Many people here Pompano is bad so they think they should avoid the entire city. It is actually pretty safe east of US1.

Thanks for clearing that up Nolefan, yeah seems to be 2 schools of thought on pompano from what i am reading in here the last few days, Some have painted a bad picture for the entire city while others say crime is more localized and areas east of dixie and certainly east of US 1 sound to be much different.
Like i said i will certainly take time to look around when we come out but this is all good info to have now to give us a "heads up" from the locals. All info is apperciated and again if there are other areas to consider in that price range with deepwater access then i am all ears to learning about them.

Thanks again

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
There are 2 pictures painted, the one by those with their heads in the sand and in total denial, and the honest picture.

Pompano, even East of Dixie, is NOT a desirable or safe place to live. Period. I know police officers there, I've been on ride alongs there, I even have a place at Atlantic and A1A which we are probably dumping soon. There are no good schools, the "undesirable" residents from west pompano do make their way east, they are all over the beaches, they go to the same stores east, etc. It's NOT a safe area.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
If you dotn have to worry about public schools East pompano is nice, I have several friends who live east of US1 and they live in nice neighborhoods.
I would look into lighthouse point. I think its better than the 3 you mentioned and Im sure you can find something for your price range.Many Lighthouse point residents send their kids to Norcrest elementary then for middle and high the go private or try to get them into Pompano High.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM

25 posts, read 51,055 times
Yes, there are pockets of very nice areas, but you still have to drive through ghetto to get to the main highways or other places of importance. Let's say the area can be considered little Haiti or little Jamaica. Few Americans in Pompano Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area