Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 AM

207 posts, read 613,987 times

Advertisements

Hey gang, starting to want to get our camping on! But I am curious of the best places in FL to camp. We have two small children and I am wondering about how the facilities are at the state parks. Also what we should prepare to encounter as far as critters and insects, and what we may have to bring to stear clear of them. We have only camped in the midwest so I do not know what to expect in FL. So examples I am looking for are, we know mosquitos can be really bad during certain times of the year where we have camped so we avoid those times. Always make sure your food is hidden and secure because racoons are really smart and can break in to it! OR we know the camping season in the north is May-Oct due to the weather. Some state parks here and better then others....so we are looking for suggestions and advice, please lead on! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:42 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
I've seen lots of people camping overnight on Miami Ave north of Flagler, but that might not be what your kind of crowd.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Your post seems to be asking about FL in general, but it's on the Fort Lauderdale forum. There are a lot of nice places to camp in the state. Are you looking for anything specific? You might want to use the search feature to find threads on this subject. Some of our state parks are really nice. I live near this one

[url=http://floridastateparks.org/MyakkaRiver/]Welcome to Florida State Parks[/url]

Camping for me is when the a/c isn't running properly and my cable goes out. However, I used to enjoy it.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 AM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
We go camping all the time with our kids. I find the best time to go is Nov-April. Alot of teh state parks in keys are booked a year in advanced. Our favorite places to go with the kids are Westgate River Ranch, Big Pine Key fishing lodge and fisheating creek. My kids love westgagte because they have a rodeo at night, petting zoo, horse back riding.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound is a good place to camp. It is a very large State Park just north of Jupiter, Florida.

Most of the better camping areas are in different parts of the state but there are a few down here as others have mentioned.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound is a good place to camp. It is a very large State Park just north of Jupiter, Florida.

Most of the better camping areas are in different parts of the state but there are a few down here as others have mentioned.

Nolefan ... that park is lovely and an excellent recommendation .. it is the only place in South Florida that has a semblance of hills and dunes ... I took my daughters there camping some years ago ... best time to go though is December through April .... cool weather and minimal mosquitos !!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Bahia Honda has a nice camping site

Fiesta camp on Fox Key is very nice

Fort DeSoto is great

Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM

108 posts, read 230,582 times
Sebring , Fl has a nice state park, off of US 27 on the western side. I don't remember the name. Also, up by Ocala National Forest.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Nolefan ... that park is lovely and an excellent recommendation .. it is the only place in South Florida that has a semblance of hills and dunes ... I took my daughters there camping some years ago ... best time to go though is December through April .... cool weather and minimal mosquitos !!
I agree with everything you said except mosquitos! I went as a child and got eaten alive. Every inch of my body was covered in bites and it took a week or more of hell to go away. But then again that can happen anywhere in FL.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 AM

207 posts, read 613,987 times
Thanks guys! I love the ideas closer to Ft.Laud too, great for short drives and quick weekends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area