Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times

Advertisements

$500 a MONTH? In Maine? Impossible. Are you sure you don't mean $500 for 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

149 posts, read 465,672 times
Yes haha my bad. that is what I meant. We pay $500 twice a year. What do you pay in Florida twice a year? Or is it monthly?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times
My 22-year-old son paid $1200 every 6 months in south Florida but only pays $700 in Houston. My other son paid about $100 per month in Gainesville vs. almost twice that in south Florida.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 11,365 times
Talking South Florida

Lived in Davie,Fl a little over 2 years.Love south Florida.I'm 66 Retired/Disabled,on fixed income.Will be moving back to Ft Lauderdale area within 7 month's.Have 92 Town Car.Insurance will cost me $1,500 a year there.Here in Jersey,it's $1,000 every 6 months,gas here is $3.19 a gallon.I know Browaed County is high cost,but not as high as here,and they have great weather most of the time,so as far as this old man is concerend,South Florida is the PLACE to BE

Last edited by williamc1945; 10-29-2011 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: r out of place

Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamc1945 View Post
Lived in Davie,Fl a little over 2 years.Love south Florida.I'm 66 Retired/Disabled,on fixed income.Will be moving back to Ft Lauderdale area within 7 month's.Have 92 Town Car.Insurance will cost me $1,500 a year there.Here in Jersey,it's $1,000 every 6 months,gas here is $3.19 a gallon.I know Browaed County is high cost,but not as high as here,and they have great weather most of the time,so as far as this old man is concerend,South Florida is the PLACE to BE
Gas in South FL is about $3.75/gallon so it is more expensive here. Food is more expensive in South FL than the Northeastern states. Car insurance depends on which carrier you have. I doubt it is much different here than Jersey. Property taxes and insurance in general is through the roof here.

The NYC metro area has the highest cost of living in the U.S. so compared to there anything sounds cheaper. The main reason so many NY'ers and NJ'ers moved down here in the first place was the cheap cost of living but that the gap has closed over the years. South FL is no longer a cheap place to live and is one of the more expensive areas.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,471 times
I live in NYC and pay $115 per week for renting a room in a really old, roach-infested, mouse-filled building. I hate NYC. You literally have to be rich to live in a good, clean house. I've lived in NJ as well in not-so-good and in some great areas. Again, have to have lots of money to live decent in NJ. I want to move to South Florida, but I want to be prepared first. I'm researching as much as I can right now, so I'll make the right decision on where to move to. I want to live in the suburbs in a two-bedroom apt or house. How much would that be approximately? And what are the best areas recommended?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 AM

270 posts, read 506,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamc1945 View Post

I see your perspective very well. IMO, views here are related directly to ages and perspectives, as well as expectations. I urge anyone to read the Hawaii forum , especially for Oahu as it has about 900,000 residents. The discussions are often about new folks wanting to move to "paradise", similar to Florida for those never having lived in (particularly) -South Florida. I did live there over 20 years and moved a few years back. I missed real trees and not nursery palms potted all over. Florida has a lot of snowbirds annually, and those retiring year round. Each area is different for each individual. Consistent are the behaviors seen anywhere else in the USA. Crime, drivers, traffic, attitudes and perceptions are affected by
places each person "habits", and YOUR reactions to those. Unless living near a beach area like Hollywood Resort or Hallandale Beach, costs are high and breezes little. Humidity is a drag and winter gives a 4 month release with nice weather . Travel time is S-L-O-W due to many cars over a few mile distance because of traffic signals. I-35 at peak times is massive between Miami and northward, and vice versa, depending on day/afternoons. Real improvement is only from past WPB and northward.
Exits and travel afterwards on streets then, are a challenge. It can take you 30 minutes to go 5 miles sometimes. People have been plastic and superficial in S Florida around city areas like S Beach since at least 1988, and art deco buildings, Ocean Drive, filled after with "wanna be" models and party types. Not new. Drugs either, but less now in the OPEN.
Davie is a nice "western" style area to many, but, really a nice place. Too, many west/east areas of I-35, "all along" north & south, are filled with variations. It reminded me tht you may as well live in the Midwest, as "beach" has nothing to do with anything. It is CROWDED and HOT. "Getting" to " mindset areas of " paradise" are rare and most do not do so often, just working and driving, etc. IF a person came from winter areas, SURE, "any" warmth is a wondeful aspect. BUT, the rest is the same old demands to LIVE and do so w/o stress. Depends on each person's finances and lifestyles. Heaven for some is the opposite for another. Depends. Again, read Hawaii forum and it is deja vu . Cultures, languages, and lifestyles. AND "there" VERY expensive compared to anywhere, including Florida!! PLUS, air fare to go/leave to vist families/friends, and, actually finding a decent residence not costing a lease payment each month much "more than" most mortgages in a mainland area. Believe it!
Housing issues nationally hit Florida hard! Jobs other than specialitites and professions are tough. So, "retirees" will usually love it, workers, NOT. One size does not fit all.

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 12-15-2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaG719 View Post
I live in NYC and pay $115 per week for renting a room in a really old, roach-infested, mouse-filled building. I hate NYC. You literally have to be rich to live in a good, clean house. I've lived in NJ as well in not-so-good and in some great areas. Again, have to have lots of money to live decent in NJ. I want to move to South Florida, but I want to be prepared first. I'm researching as much as I can right now, so I'll make the right decision on where to move to. I want to live in the suburbs in a two-bedroom apt or house. How much would that be approximately? And what are the best areas recommended?
$115 per week would also get you a roach infested apt in South FL.

In the suburbs of Fort Lauderdale such as Coral Springs or Pembroke Pines you can find nice apartments for around $800 to 900/mo.

South FL is cheaper than NYC, but incomes here are also lower. It is all relative in my opinion. Many New Yorkers come here thinking everything is so cheap and they find out the hard way.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,471 times
I understand both of your views on Florida. Especially since you both have lived there. Nolefan I know that money is not enough to get anything decent in Fl. But here at least, you would have to pay $2,000 or more to get decent one-bedroom apartments. I know people are superficial....you see that everywhere. I really don't care at all. I see those type of people here in NY and pretty much everywhere else in the country. I would just like to find a decent place to live in Florida. I can give it a shot. And if I don't like it, then I can move elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaG719 View Post
I understand both of your views on Florida. Especially since you both have lived there. Nolefan I know that money is not enough to get anything decent in Fl. But here at least, you would have to pay $2,000 or more to get decent one-bedroom apartments. I know people are superficial....you see that everywhere. I really don't care at all. I see those type of people here in NY and pretty much everywhere else in the country. I would just like to find a decent place to live in Florida. I can give it a shot. And if I don't like it, then I can move elsewhere.
So then what is your max budget? Because $115/week is not going to get you anything "decent" here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area