U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM

149 posts, read 433,336 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male currently living in Maine. Recent college graduate with a degree in Communications. My degree is centered around marketing and advertising and I am looking to move to South Florida within the next few months. I have been in contact with agents in Miami-Dade County and Broward county about apartments. I am mainly deciding between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Where could I find an apartment (1 bedroom) for $700-900 a month and have it be somewhat nice and near the beach? Is Miami or Fort Lauderdale a better bet? Or are cities right near those(Pompano Beach, Miami Beach, Miami Shores, Brickell etc.) a better bet? I will be moving down without a job lined up, however I have about $15,000 saved up and I would find a particular job such as at a restaurant or at a local mall real quick while I am looking for work in my particular field of marketing and advertising. I have my resume on Careerbuilder and I get contacted from companies and it frustrating because I can't keep paying to fly down and stay at hotels for interviews for a job I may not even get. I did that about 8 months ago with a company in Fort Lauderdale and I was a finalist for the job but I didn't get it. However, I loved the area of Fort Lauderdale and I think I would love some areas of Miami also. Thanks in advance everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times
Mike-

It sounds like you cannot afford to move here. First of all, you don't have a job lined up which is a huge no-no unless you have a lot of money saved up. $15,000 won't get you very far down here. Working in the retail sector or as a restaurant server won't pay you enough money to sustain a decent lifestyle.

Second, I don't know of any apartments near the beach in safe areas that are $700-900. Fort Lauderdale is cheaper than Miami, but both areas are expensive areas to live. You could find something further west in a suburb like Coral Springs or Pembroke Pines for around $850 but you'll have to commute eastwards to find entertainment. Car insurance is very expensive down here as is gas. And you have to also figure you'll spend a lot on utilities, cable, and internet if you need that for your apartment. Nightlife is extremely expensive here as well since I know you're gonna want to hit the bar scene.

I know you wanna move here badly. But is it really worth it to spend all of your cash you've saved up just to party for one year?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM

I feel as though I could find a job with my bachelors degree down there. I mean don't people move places at times for a better life and more job opportunity? I realize server and retail doesn't pay a ton, but I would try that immediately while applying for jobs in marketing and advertising. On a side note, how do servers and people in retail survive down in Florida if what you are saying is true? I appreciate your opinion though.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Truthfully I respect everyones opinion on here, but coming on here and asking people hasn't helped in the least. Some say it is possible and a good idea and some say it is ridiculous. I regret even asking on here.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM

And gas us currently $3.85 here in Maine, taxes are awful, and insurance on my car is like $500 twice a year.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,307,698 times
Mike: I am paying $895 for a large 1-br in an older building in Aventura, which is about as safe and close to the beach as you can get. It is doable! I know of a complex in downtown Hollywood that is all studios and rents for around $600, which is also close to the beach and generally a safe area (though western suburb-dwellers would probably disagree). Also there is the presidential circle area of Hollywood, walking/cycling distance to Tri-Rail, that could work. I have also seen $850 in the Las Olas riverfront area. These rates are doable for a good bartender/waiter at a busy place. Now downtown Miami/Miami Beach--forget about it, unless you want a roommate. IMO, don't expect it to be easy to land the job you want at first, but on the other hand, you're young enough to take the risk, and it may well work out in the end. Hope this helps!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times
Mike-

You asked questions and I gave you answers. It sounds like you don't want to hear the truth or any information that differs with your preconceived notions about South FL.

I know you want to move here badly. I just think it would be a huge mistake. What happens if you move here and can't find a job? You'd be lucky to survive 5 months on your $15,000. Car insurance here won't be any cheaper than where you live now.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM

That could not be any farther from the truth Nolefan. My point is illustrated above perfectly by Hurricaneman1992. He is saying how it is possible and totally doable to find a nice place for a good price near a beach and everything, where as others like you have said it is near impossible and a real bad idea. I respect what everyone says...this just proves my point as to why me asking questions on here was a mistake. Everyone has way different answers.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Hey hurricane... do you know the name of that complex of studios in downtown hollywood? Thanks man!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM

On a total side note, I have heard some good things from people about West Palm Beach...although I am sure some on this website would say the exact opposite haha. Seems as though they have cheaper rent for nicer places than FTL and Miami. A lot I have talked to seem to love living there also. They call it a more relaxed version of Miami with much less Spanish speaking...which I like haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area