U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM

70 posts, read 166,046 times

Advertisements

i currently live in miami lakes and we are looking for our dream home in west brwd..the home i like to say i will eventually die in b/c i hate moving! lol.

we want something with a choice of GREAT schools k-12, sports for children and would like some 'normal' non-snobbish neighbors and a sense of community.

I am looking at davie, weston, southwest ranches and cooper city...but really i have so many pros/cons for each area that i feel a little lost. i'm looking for that "MAGICAL" house that probably exists only in my head. 4 or 5 bedroom, pool, possible waterfront, culdesac, 1/3 acre ++, in the $400k-$500k range. oh yeah and sidewalks would be nice so i can stroller around. oh yeah it would be a perk if my husband could fly his american flag on the 4th of july or occasionally.

weston = great except for it feels a little stepford wives-y. very uniform and robotic but thats prob why its so clean and beautiful.
davie = a little hodge-podgy, mansions here, a trailer park there. i've ruled out imagination farms/riverstone b/c of the landfill.
cooper city = dont know too much about it... hear good things... but it is a little off the path of highways.
sw ranches = nice but a little too rural ...and have beautiful homes near shacks???

you see my dilemma? can someone pinpoint that MAGICAL neighborhood? PLEASE? am i asking for too much?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,599,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfordreamhome View Post
i currently live in miami lakes and we are looking for our dream home in west brwd..the home i like to say i will eventually die in b/c i hate moving! lol.

we want something with a choice of GREAT schools k-12, sports for children and would like some 'normal' non-snobbish neighbors and a sense of community.

I am looking at davie, weston, southwest ranches and cooper city...but really i have so many pros/cons for each area that i feel a little lost. i'm looking for that "MAGICAL" house that probably exists only in my head. 4 or 5 bedroom, pool, possible waterfront, culdesac, 1/3 acre ++, in the $400k-$500k range. oh yeah and sidewalks would be nice so i can stroller around. oh yeah it would be a perk if my husband could fly his american flag on the 4th of july or occasionally.

weston = great except for it feels a little stepford wives-y. very uniform and robotic but thats prob why its so clean and beautiful.
davie = a little hodge-podgy, mansions here, a trailer park there. i've ruled out imagination farms/riverstone b/c of the landfill.
cooper city = dont know too much about it... hear good things... but it is a little off the path of highways.
sw ranches = nice but a little too rural ...and have beautiful homes near shacks???

you see my dilemma? can someone pinpoint that MAGICAL neighborhood? PLEASE? am i asking for too much?

All four options are nice and I would live in any one of them ... I guess I would chose Weston as I lived there with my family for almost five years and it was a nice experience ... safe , pristine , excellent parks , schools , shopping , many green areas and good retail and restaurants ... as I work from home sometimes we would go weeks with out leaving the area .. and it is one of the few zip codes in Broward that has not experienced a massive drop in real estate prices . I liked the order of an HOA .. it is the lesser of two evils ... we moved to Weston from Miami Lakes many years ago and never looked back as that area has declined ... all communities in Weston are nice .... I would look in The Lakes , Executive Homes , The Islands , The Falls and The Meadows ... Weston Hills Country Club is over priced , Savanna and The Ridges too large and congested .. and yes you have sidewalks and can fly the American flag .

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM

38 posts, read 91,949 times
if you want sidewalks then southwest ranches is out of the question. the town has rules/laws for no sidewalks.

Its going to be difficult to find a house with that description in Weston in that price range, probably in Davie.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 AM

look in west pembroke pines, you might find a house with that description also and I think its a better city than davie and cooper. But thats my opinion.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM

141 posts, read 366,485 times
Agree w MIG. Broaden your search to West Pembroke Pines (west of I75). You may have to downsize your lot size dreams a bit but the rest should not be a problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM

to give you an idea i just bought a short sale in west PP 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, no pool, no waterfront property for 345,000. 3 car garage house and 3,100 SQft.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM

66 posts, read 155,507 times
Check out Embassy Lakes in Cooper City...our lot is 1/4 though so the lots may be too small. I agree when we looked in Weston we would have compromised on house size for our price range. Ours in Embassy is a 5bed/3bath with pool, no lake and we paid mid 400 in November. There was only 1 house in Weston that fit the bill and it went under contract before we had our ducks in a row...it was in The Lakes. Good luck, I'm sure you will find a great house you may need to compromise a little...but we are happy here

Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM

rock newman: thank you for your input! i tend to agree with you about the HOA's being the lesser of 2 evils.. miami lakes has declined. we would have moved years ago but were held hostage by the housing crisis. i'm going to look in the communities you have suggested. is there anything that has a little more than 1/4 acre? perhaps 1/3 acre? but is still CLEAN and orderly?
you make a good point about having good restaurants and retail nearby b/c although we both work full-time in sunny isles beach and doral area, we rarely stray from home on our off time. especially w a baby in tow. we go to the same restaurants weekly that are only blocks from my house now. i'm guessing weston restaurants/retail/hangouts beat cooper city's??
and last question, seriously, do the HOA's allow you to fly a flag? my husband and i jokingly talk about this quite frequently when we think "HOA." i remember donald trump was told he had to take his down in mar a lago ...and he's trump! lol

Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM

migx27: thanks. the sidewalks is something i didnt know about sw ranches so it helps me eliminate that area.

about finding a house with that description in weston (4-5 bed, pool/waterfront, $400-$500k) you'd be surprised! there are actually 29 listings with that exact description . i'm a realtor (but only sell on the beach) so i hound the mls constantly for my dream home .

about pembroke pines, congrats on ur new home. i spend a lot of time in pines shopping but we've completely ruled it out to live. west pines is nice but we have A LOT of friends who have lived there for years and are seeing it decline...safety and congestion are becoming issues. our law enforcement friends are looking to move out... i still think the area is nice but i dont know about 10-15 years from now....
more and more i think cooper city or weston are going to be the best fit for us.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhighlander View Post
Check out Embassy Lakes in Cooper City...our lot is 1/4 though so the lots may be too small. I agree when we looked in Weston we would have compromised on house size for our price range. Ours in Embassy is a 5bed/3bath with pool, no lake and we paid mid 400 in November. There was only 1 house in Weston that fit the bill and it went under contract before we had our ducks in a row...it was in The Lakes. Good luck, I'm sure you will find a great house you may need to compromise a little...but we are happy here
hi and thanks for the feedback
about embassy ...that home and price sound perfect. congrats! is it a ranch style or 2-story?

i am ruling out 2 story homes. we would love a 1story ranch style home on more than 1/4 acre. at least 1/3 ?? ahhh, to be so picky eh?
i'm researching diamond and hibbs subdivision... they are a little pricier b/c they are newer but i wonder if they have chinese drywall since they were built around 2004.

can you please tell me about cooper city the city itself? the restaurants/retail/'happening spots' lol? i don't know much about it but we like to do everything close to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area