U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 27,467 times

Advertisements

thanks for the recommendation retiree...will definately look into it....actually gonna check google for their website right now.

D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM

retiree....their store and prices look great....thx a million...another made my day moment; lol

everyone on here has been really great to me....thanks!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM

275 posts, read 344,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis12 View Post
Thanks Man Strelnikov.... u just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great pizza close by, walking distance, coffee shops.....so im not exactly moving to the country; lol

Hey what's a reasonable rent considered.....I need to start small and if all goes well I will upgrade; I've seen lots of stuff on craigslist for $600-800 for studio to 1 bedroom.....is that a realistic expectation....or are those just the CL scam rates?

Everyone on here has been great and at this point I am so looking forward to my move!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Glad to be of help! My ex-gf pays $800 for a 1BR on Dixie Hwy. They raised the rent last year when a new owner bought the building, but it's still not bad. It is a small apartment, and I wouldn't be able to fit all my stuff there, heh, but it's a decent little community. If you have a car, I think Wilton Manor is very cool because you're not far from the beach, and not far from the Federal Highway with Whole Food, Barnes and Noble, etc. if I had stayed in Sofla, I was going to move to a complex just about a mile North of Wilton Manor on Dixie, near the old hospital. At that time, 2008, Apartments there were about the same, $800 for a 1BR.
I hope everything works out for you!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM

thx again Strelnikov....very helpful...hopefully I can swing a one bedroom for the same price range.....cant be much smaller than my NY 1 bedroom which contains under 400sq' or so.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 AM

anybody have any insite on computer stores in the Wilton Manors area? or in home computer service providers...repairs, upgrades...etc.

thx
dennis

Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM

100 posts, read 293,516 times
to be honest, wilton manors is so passe'.
it's surrounded by a questionable area. Let's be honest, east sunrise blvd is not known for being all that nice and a lot of crime and drug dealing there.

Also, wilton drive is only like a mile long and I imagine u will tire of the same old bars and "blubs" that they have. I feel as if ur very limited outside of Wilton drive.

Yes "sidelines' sports bar is fun and yes "alibi" is fun too, however after u've ben there umpteen times, it gets so old and cliche.

I would recommend u stay in victoria park area of fort lauderdale.
let's face facts, all of fort lauderdale is gay friendly. I mean pretty much. Theres no area will u will feel absolutely awkward or anything, but moving to wilton manors is a cop-out i think. Just because ur gay desont measn u have to live in a gay neighborhood. It's trashy at times, a lot of people infected with HIV, so be careful, and that goes for all of south florida. to always stay safe.

Give east fort lauderdale a go....its beautiful and by the ocean, wilton manors is just very suburban and borderline "run-down" in my opinion. Like i said wilton drive is the only street with things going on and once u've done it like a milolion times you'll grow tired of it. It's crap in comparison to chicago's boys-town. or NY's area.

but good luck dude. you'll love it for the most part.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM

thx dos123...i was actually trying to learn more about vistoria park.....is that close to las olas blvd? if so isnt that real close to wilton manors also? what are the rents like for a studio or 1 bedroom?

thx for your input, i def value alternative views. as far as gay area, im just sick of living in my current homophobic area.....i stayed low for a long time, then an unfortunately loud and often crazy ex, kinda blew things up....now everyone looks at me messed up and not the same. just dont want to move somewhere as, i will likely date or eventually mabe end up in a relationship ....when that happens I really dont want to feel angry at ignorant people all the time...etcetc

d

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis12 View Post
thx dos123...i was actually trying to learn more about vistoria park.....is that close to las olas blvd? if so isnt that real close to wilton manors also? what are the rents like for a studio or 1 bedroom?

thx for your input, i def value alternative views. as far as gay area, im just sick of living in my current homophobic area.....i stayed low for a long time, then an unfortunately loud and often crazy ex, kinda blew things up....now everyone looks at me messed up and not the same. just dont want to move somewhere as, i will likely date or eventually mabe end up in a relationship ....when that happens I really dont want to feel angry at ignorant people all the time...etcetc

d
Vic Park is a few miles south of Wilton Manors, closer to Las Olas. It is quite expensive, and considered one of the most prestigious areas. You will find that most apartments and homes there are very overpriced for what they are.
There are nice neighborhoods in between Wilton Manors and Vic Park with better bargains, and still convenient to both areas.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM

thx SD...ye, Im really not looking for overpriced spots....Im very middle class and down to earth.
ultimately when I get down there I will really have to spend one thorough hell of a week running around these areas to ultimately feel comfortable with a choice.

d

Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 AM

76 posts, read 275,341 times
Victoria Park is very nice, but a warning is in order. Most of the day the main drag, Las Olas Blvd, is nearly deserted, unlike the main drag of Wilton Manors, Wilton Drive. The nightlife in the Las Olas area is very young and straight. Victoria Park has its place in the "best neighborhoods" of Ft L to be sure, but it is a different animal from Wilton Manors.

Also, keep in mind that ANY neighborhood is going to become routine once you live there. It is not possible to keep the magic of the first visits alive. Wilton Manors has a lot of enduring strengths for a retired gay man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area