U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 PM

70 posts, read 165,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo7221 View Post
Weston is a master-planned community consisting of gated developments endless bike and jogging trails and the world famous bonaventure and weston hills country club. It is geared toward luxury though a good portion of the "gated communities" have smaller starter-homes. The pros are that it is clean, quiet, has a true suburban feel, has a good police presence and the guards do their job...in addition to which they have a "main street" type shopping village with The Cheese Course, boutiques, a wine place to hang out on weekends and anchored by a Publix and a funky looking hotel with multi-colored facade. To those that live there, that makes it chic and worth passing up the eastern beach towns for. The cons are it tends to be snooty, the town tends to be a speedtrap, outside of "the main street village" there is a bore/isolation factor the further "west" you live, the city has a water contamination issue (which means you're served can beverages at fast food places), and it's not the most "cultural" spot in the universe.

Cooper City, on the other hand, is a bedroom-type community wedged between davie (at times overlapping it) and the northern reaches of Pembroke Pines (which has become very congested). Though it is minutes away from the Pines, you can drive down 90 ave and think you were in a bit of a time warp insomuch as South Fla suburbs used to be (it reminds me very much of a West Kendall from the 80's) Many of the homes were built in the 70's, it is a smaller town within a city and its high school is only minutes away from most spots. They have a nice Wal-Mart which is almost minutes away and though it's in the suburbs is not as isolated as Weston. Many of the homes are your typical 3 bedroom 2 bath ranchers though there are duplexes if you make the first turn off 90 ave. Its pros revolve around the down-home traditionality factor. There seems to be a feeling of a neighborhood presence/ crime watch factor there and the police make it safe; though I have heard some stories about the old city cops that used to make it a nightmare to live there..it is now patrolled by Broward County Sheriff's Office deputies. The cons are it's ugly-assed concrete-barrier wall on Griffin Rd that makes it look like Attica but Griffin Rd has become more congested after the lane-widening project that just got finished so at least you don't have any noise. Also Griffin Rd has lost a lot of it's country feel and that can bear down on many long-time resident's experiences with growing up or living there but I doubt the area is going to go downhill anytime soon...the only thing I hear is the cops are (a little bit) nicer now! Bear in mind there is a crime factor all throughout the South Broward area....it has gotten a lot of new residents over the past 10 years and Cooper City's shopping mall, Pembroke Lakes Mall, is not as safe as other malls...but you can never think you are too safe. I recommend driving in and around Pembroke Pines off Pines Blvd, checking out Davie and its downtown maybe, and bearing in mind that Cooper City is very small so shopping is a toss-up between the Pines shopping plazas, maybe the Wal Mart, and the Griffin Rd corridor. Also you have the Pembroke Gardens outdoor mall which is off of Pines and I-75 which is a good way to kill an afternoon or enjoy a Friday evening..similar to the Weston "main street village" but with noticeable differences. You are kind of right smack dab against all of these areas which make it nice.
Hope that helps...
man, i have to say, this was extremely informative ! prob the best description of the two towns in all the forums. thank u, much appreciated. in my dream world i wish i could live somewhere as nice and clean and green and lush as weston, but with the 'downhome' kind of feel i think you describe for cooper city.... also, not sure which location i like better...all the way west or smack in the middle of everything..lots to think about.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 AM

16 posts, read 46,894 times
I will choose the copper city. That place have nice climatic condition and perfect for living peaceful life so i will choose it.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
I personally would prefer Cooper City, since I don't like the cookie cutter homes that Weston offers. Not to mention, just about everything in Weston is part of HOA and we have decided to not deal with HOA anymore.
So Cooper City does not have cookie cutter homes ... seriously ? .. ... anyhow bottom line both Weston and Cooper City along with Plantation and Parkland are the best places to live in Broward County in my opinion .... Weston may be newer and more aethestically pleasing .... but Cooper City is nice , safe and has a sense of community that many other towns in South Florida lack . We lived in Weston and loved it .... but I would have no qualms about living in Cooper City either .

Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderr View Post
I will choose the copper city. That place have nice climatic condition and perfect for living peaceful life so i will choose it.

I was not aware that "climatic conditions " in "Copper City " could be all that different form Weston given that they are only like twelve miles apart ???

I guess all of the Copper mines radiate additional heat ...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I was not aware that "climatic conditions " in "Copper City " could be all that different form Weston given that they are only like twelve miles apart ???

I guess all of the Copper mines radiate additional heat ...
lol

Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 9,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfordreamhome View Post
lol
lol!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM

ok so i spent my day off today driving around both areas. first cooper city, then weston. hmmm. i was a little disappointed with cooper city. i saw a home in hibbs grove (i think is name of community) and although the home and the owner were both great...(she was someone i wanted to be friends with lol) i was left wanting more from the city as a whole. it does look very dated. i expect that from beach towns but not the burbs. i think i also saw a water plant next to the community and the power lines were a bit unsightly. of course i'm spoiled b/c where i live now the lines are all underground. i'm sure cooper city is a great place to live....everyone certainly thinks so and it has great schools. perhaps i'm just taken in with the aesthetics of weston. can i just transplant the friendly neighborhood feel of cooper city into weston's lush greenery?

in weston i visited what i think was an amazing home in tequesta. loved the community! did not look cookie cutter like the rest of weston. ample lots with different custom made ranch style homes....which is my fav style of home! the biggest problem is that the home is severely overpriced! about $150k over the value of most of the recent closed sales in that area! but the craziest part is that the home has only been listed for FOUR DAYS and already has an OFFER! of course, i dont know how low the offer is but i was a little sad that it already has an offer on it. p.s. peace mound park is lovely .
so....lots to think about...... but that's my update for now. thanks again, for all the help i've received on these boards! you guys have helped me narrow my search significantly!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I just moved to Cooper City but I've been coming to the area for years. It's okay but Weston definitely kicks it out of the water. Weston is a planned community. It's block after block of landscaped trees and grass. It's extremely beautiful and safe all around. Much beautiful scenery than Cooper City.
thank u allen. after driving both towns today i tend to agree with you. but i feel bad (read: shallow) for not liking cooper city b/c its not as pretty as weston! lol

Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
I personally would prefer Cooper City, since I don't like the cookie cutter homes that Weston offers. Not to mention, just about everything in Weston is part of HOA and we have decided to not deal with HOA anymore.
i agree about not liking the cookie cutter look...my husband and i HATE it...but tequesta in weston seemed to break the mold. however, you bring up a good point..the HOA's ...do worry us some.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,708 times
weston is good

Last edited by nyamuk; 09-02-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area