Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfordreamhome View Post
i agree about not liking the cookie cutter look...my husband and i HATE it...but tequesta in weston seemed to break the mold. however, you bring up a good point..the HOA's ...do worry us some.
yeah iam note this in my forum universe community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,204 times
Default Relocating from MD also

What part of MD did you relocate from?? We are also relocating to that part of Florida from MD in April. We currently live in the Crofton/Gambrils/Annapolis Area of MD and are also looking for the small town, smaller school feel for our children as well. Any guidance you could provide about the areas or the schools and where to look comparable to MD would be great. Please respond to dkatkins1228@gmail.com if you have the chance. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhighlander View Post
I guess it's personal preference. I do love the look of Weston but felt Cooper City met our housing needs better (more for the money) looking at what was on the market at the time. We were in a time crunch since we had sold our house and were moving 1100 miles to FL. I was eager to get my kids in a school that they would be able to stay. Cooper City's schools were much smaller and my kids were coming from an extremely small school in MD. I think Cooper City has more of a small town feel. Yes most shopping besides groceries are done in Pembroke Pines or Plantation. I don't see a lot of shopping in Weston. There are however more restaurants. There is no mall in either place. For us it came down to the house we found and we were open to either place. If you have time I'm sure you could find something in Weston to meet your needs especially since the housing market remains slow. We love our neighborhood here so we have no regrets.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,778,978 times
^^^
Weston is a small town

But Weston's Cypress Bay High School is probably the biggest in the nation.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
Coopercity, would be abetter choice, the schools are excellent, and its close to everything.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 PM

87 posts, read 167,793 times
I grew up in MD. If you are looking for something similar to Crofton, check out Parkland or Weston.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,204 times
ChristineNic,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, we love Crofton and so do our 10 and 5 yr olds and we would like to get them in a similar location with similar schools and sports as much as possible to make transition easier. I will be commuting to Miami, what are the commute times for those two areas. What is your opinion on Davie, Cooper City, and Pembroke Pines? We are planning a trip there in a couple of weeks to get an idea of the area. Right now we are strickly going off blogs, internet and word of mouth as far as searching for areas. Any feedback you have on those areas would be great as well! Thanks again,
Dan
dkatkins1228@gmail.com

Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,425,349 times
Weston is the more affluent of the two areas. But personally I don't like how all of the homes are Med-looking and cookie-cutter in master planned communities. I prefer the appearance of Cooper City since it looks more authentic. You feel like you're actually in an old-Florida suburb as opposed to a man-made feel you get in Weston. Cooper City is also a bit closer to things than Weston.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,862,470 times
My mother's older sister - who lives in Hollywood Hills for nearly 50 years and turned 91 last year - is the daughter-in-law of Morris and Clara Cooper the founder of Cooper City.

My mother was friendly with the Coopers and Morris encouraged my parents to buy a house in Cooper City, this was way back in 1963 when my family moved to South Broward. I believe the Coopers were under the impression that my folks were of much more modest circumstances because back in those days Cooper City was really designed to be a "lower-middle-class" development. My folks wanted to be much further east, near the Intracoastal so they bought a house in Hollywood's South Lake district.

Over the years I have seen Cooper City improve and become more desirable; it is not the blue collar lower-middle-class place it once was. Davie, where I went to Nova High School (thank you Morris Cooper for getting me in!), used to be a really dumpy place - sorta like a cheap trailer park with crummy little boxy CBS houses ... look at it now. I saw homes in Davie that are gorgeous!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,636,394 times
Come on down, drive around and get a feel for the areas. One of the factors that will help you in your decision making is the budget and how far your RE dollar goes... I personally agree that Weston is mostly cookie cutter but forget that if you live in Weston Hill Country Club or Windmill Ranches kinda sub-divisions (of course you pay top dollars). If money wasn't much of an issue, I would live in those sub-divisions but if you are looking for more modest budget of 250K - 500K, I would go to Cooper City.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,778,978 times
Something to consider

Weston Rated No. 1 Housing Market In US | News - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area