U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM

91 posts, read 192,214 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I am a pilot for one of those wonderful regional airlines where we don't make all too much money. I took the transfer down to MIA and am moving down OCT 1st. I live with my GF and we spend about 1000/month now on rent (500 each, this is in NJ, this is comfortable budget wise for us, but much more would really hurt us). I drive 70 miles, takes me 1 hour 20min no traffic, 2+ in traffic. The 2 hour max is really important, as we can be scheduled to sit by the phone at home some days, its call reserve, and they call to say you have a flight to fly, and you have 2 hours to get to work or else be in huge trouble. We have started looking down around the Plantation/Sunrise area as it seems to fit what we are looking for. We have enjoyed the communities we have seen but the $1200+ is going to stretch us big time. We want to find somewhere with many of these amenities and the safe feel but for closer to 1000$. Is anyone from around the area that could help. I am a pilot so I only drive to/from MIA 1 to 2 times a week since I typically go out for 4 day trips, then get 3 days off. Most of our trips are early early morning or mid day, returning mid day or late night, so rush hour is typically not a concern. My goal is to be ABOUT 45 min from MIA no traffic, and under 2 hours in peak traffic. So basically a 45 mile radius. We have been looking around plantation/sunrise since it feels safe and is nice and gets us beyond the more ghetto area closer to miami which is traded off by high price if it is not ghetto (aventura for example). We have not looked south of Mia at all, but if someone puts out an idea we would. Otherwise will take another trip down early next month to finalize our plans/take one last look, and go with one of the places we like so far, but I just am not happy with the high cost of it, or the crummier stuff in our price range, I feel like we can do better. Also we can go a bit more north if anyone has advice, because I hear the sawgrass exp. way has little traffic ever and can make for a quick ride down to MIA. Thanks for helping everyone.

Also we have a 22pd pug mix dog.

Rick
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 PM

143 posts, read 422,729 times
Coral Springs is a nice area. My father used to commute to Miami daily and it was an hour drive....left at 6:30am & got home at 6:30pm. Davie might have some places, I am just not familiar with rentals there. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:04 PM

91 posts, read 192,214 times
I am wondering if maybe going South of Miami toward Homestead might be smart, but I think it might just be outside of what we are looking for?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,253,115 times
Default Coral Springs

I just visited there and drove around for a few days, it is such a huge area but the Coral Springs area is beautiful and there may be areas such as Kenilworth that are affordable, at least for me. i am retiring on savings and SS and whatever I get for my house here in New Orleans.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 PM

83 posts, read 288,936 times
Have you looked at Miami Beach? It's a very nice place and very close to MIA. My in-laws have a one-bedroom condo (ocean-front building with private access to the beach and the front faces the river on Collin's Ave.) for rent but I'm not sure how much they would charge. Don't want to seem like an ad but you can PM me if you want more information. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area