Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 PM

16 posts, read 30,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thank you all for your past answers on my older thread!! Anyone here from the original thread, probably remembers I am moving because I am allergic to the cold weather....and the NY summer is not too far from being over. After trying to plan some in advance, I am really going to make my move within the next 2 months.....little nervous since I do not really know anyone in FL, but hey, it can be a new journey and hopefully an exciting one. I am going to outline some of my many remaining concerns and things I am trying to learn in hopes it will make my transition a bit more painless....thank you in advance to absolutely everyone whom can help contribute.

It is looking like Wilton Manors from previous advice and posts. I am just wondering, perhaps from people who may know NY a little bit, how it might compare? will it be like moving to chelsea, christopher street, hudson street (but clean, warmer and friendlier).....or will it be deserted like when I visited orlando or if one walked around most parts of long island NY; lol .....no pun intended for my future orlando neighbors. If I take a walk toward the busy area (if there is one)...guess wilton drive, will others be walking around....kinda like when I walked around Miami lincoln road mall area while on vacation?

Im personally caucasion, but I love a mix crowd, and love my latinos as well..... will that walk to wilton drive and the neighborhood in general be a little mixed.....or is it straight up caucasion and older? (not to be blunt and im not getting any older or darker;lol)

In advance I know Miami has plenty of latins, but as in the original thread I created, I think I'd rather drive down there for that crowd and it is also likely too expensive unless I move into a poor section with a higher crime rate and maybe more homophobia than I choose to surround myself with.

as I write this I am also remembering another area, I believe not far off from wilton manors near the Las Olas Boulevard vicinity...cant remember the name of the area, but how does it compare if you know where I am talking about, and is that area a hop skip and jump from wilton manors (5 blocks), or is it a 20 minute drive?

I kinda picked wilton manors thus far because I am under the impression that if and when I do decide to visit Miami, it will be like a 20 minute drive....kinda like going from brooklyn NY to Brooklyn NY....with the traffic that currently surrounds me; hehehe.

A FEW BASICS:

I work online - internet marketing ; who in these areas in question is the major player with the best connections - I currently make due with a time warner cable internet connection; so I would want something comparable or better and a possible upgrade option for business level if need be (likely not necessary though)

I want to switch my current cell phone, but will likely wait till i get to Florida....was originally thinking metropcs to save money, and I know they originate from Florida...any votes? and also my advancement in internet marketing may require me to use a phone that can use apps, or email at minimum (I think most carriers including metro have email access from most of their phones).

do the cable companies force you into a triple play kinda package like here in NY.....is Fios or even a better provider there, and do they have a triple play package?

Ive seen some apartments for rent that actually include some level of cable and internet combo...is that a common offering?

Ive seen some apartments that include water and trash...is that very common, and if not what can I expect to pay for those services.

Ive seen alot of landlords in foreclosure renting apartments and then the tenants get evicted upon foreclosure....any way to research that the person renting to me is not in foreclosure and that I am not being scammed.

It seems that rental services do not require a license in FL...maybe im mistaken...it also seems the potential tenant does not pay the agent fee when one is involved...in many cases.

Is there a way to check the reputation or credibility of a potential agent....seen 2 or 3 good potential agents to work with on craigslist, but we all know about the craigslist scams.

In most pics of rental units on craigslist, it appears that the stovetops are electric and not gas.....is there natural gas service to most of the rental properties in wilton manors and surrounding vicinities?

I must have some outdoor space, whether it be a porch / terrace / balcony or backyard...I love to BBQ. Will I be allowed to BBQ on any of the mentioned areas...or only in a back yard? Laws or restrictions?

What are the bike riding rules…a acquaintance of mine that moved to orlando…moved back (she got home sick) within 9 months….so she bickered about getting pulled over on her bike; lol – she is almost 50 years old with 2 grown children….they gave her a ticket for running a red light; lol – are helmets required or optional; I need to get back into bike riding.

I obviously have some health issues and can lean toward being a bit of a health nut...Im assuming the sunshine state will have good access to the freshest fruits and vegetables year round. will I have to drive far for fruits and vegetables? for organic produce? organic juice bar? grass fed meats? are there restaurants that deliver good food or fresh pressed juices along the lines of natural or organic....that arent extremely cost prohibitive?

IT DEFINATELY SEEMS THAT FLORIDA WILL BE CHEAPER TO LIVE IN THAN NY....RENTS APPEAR TO BE 25% - 35% CHEAPER.....how about food, utilities (electric especially), entertainment....will all things be considerably cheaper?

I work crazy long hours by myself so I often get stuff delivered here in NY. can I expect to get grilled rotiserie chicken and pizza (good pizza;lol), diner food and or breakfast food delivered?

is there a boston market? are there good 24 hour choices for food. will I find salad bars, steam tables, cuchifritos and things like that?

Is publix and whole foods 7 days a week and or 24 hours?

Do all rental apartments come equiped with some sort of air conditioning....I have 2 window units here in NY, but they are aging, are a little dirty and heavy (movers are charging alot and some are even by the pound); should I lug mine with me, or are odds in favor that any apartment I rent will be equipped with A/C ?

when exactly is hurricaine season and how hard does this vicinity get hit? should a rental apartment be equipped with special hurricaine windows? is there ever ground water flooding; especially if I get a ground level rental unit? How are most of the ground level rental homes / apartments constructed? are there crawl spaces that can be enticing to water and pests....are they mostly built on ground level (slab)?

what are the warmest months (july thru sept?)
what are the coldest months? does everyone own blankets, sweaters, coats, long pants? I suppose all apartments must have heating systems?

are there laundry pickup and drop off services? I am truly on a very tight budget, however it may work out cheaper to have a part time helper to cook and clean (love quality home cooked food and a spotless house), leaving me those additional hours to work. what can I expect to pay for someone to help out maybe 3-4 days a week 4-6 hours at a time...i guess 20 - 30 hours a week..... and is it legal to pay them cash as an independant freelance worker?

how about security and crime rate......I live in a second floor apartment for 13 years and never leave without locking my windows....it seems in Florida, I will highly likely end up with a ground level apartment since I will want some outdoors space, bbq and possibility of a dog.....it will feel wierd with open ground level windows.....do alot of people have alarm systems and what are the possible monthly fees for alarm monitoring service?

WOWWWWW I KNOW THIS WAS ALOT....I REALLY REALLY REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE KINDNESS AND ASSISTANCE TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO CAN HELP AND CONTRIBUTE. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

DENNIS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Since I'm gay and live nearby, I will attempt to answer your questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis12 View Post
Hello everyone and thank you all for your past answers on my older thread!! Anyone here from the original thread, probably remembers I am moving because I am allergic to the cold weather....and the NY summer is not too far from being over. After trying to plan some in advance, I am really going to make my move within the next 2 months.....little nervous since I do not really know anyone in FL, but hey, it can be a new journey and hopefully an exciting one. I am going to outline some of my many remaining concerns and things I am trying to learn in hopes it will make my transition a bit more painless....thank you in advance to absolutely everyone whom can help contribute.

It is looking like Wilton Manors from previous advice and posts. I am just wondering, perhaps from people who may know NY a little bit, how it might compare? will it be like moving to chelsea, christopher street, hudson street (but clean, warmer and friendlier).....or will it be deserted like when I visited orlando or if one walked around most parts of long island NY; lol .....no pun intended for my future orlando neighbors. If I take a walk toward the busy area (if there is one)...guess wilton drive, will others be walking around....kinda like when I walked around Miami lincoln road mall area while on vacation?

It will compare to Chelsea, Christopher Street, etc. but a lot less dense and more suburban. If you live extremely close to Wilton Drive, it may be walkable for shopping and dining, but you will absolutely need a car once you leave Wilton Drive. It's just like Halsted Street in Chicago or Chelsea/Christopher, but more spread out and with big parking lots. It's definitely a lot more built-up than Orlando and way less spread out.

[quote\]
Im personally caucasion, but I love a mix crowd, and love my latinos as well..... will that walk to wilton drive and the neighborhood in general be a little mixed.....or is it straight up caucasion and older? (not to be blunt and im not getting any older or darker;lol)
[/quote]
The crowd is generally much older (median age is late 30s/40s), but there are a lot younger people. Caucasian is maybe only half of the population I see out on Wilton Drive, There a ton of latins, blacks, etc. It's definitely mixed.
[/quote]

In advance I know Miami has plenty of latins, but as in the original thread I created, I think I'd rather drive down there for that crowd and it is also likely too expensive unless I move into a poor section with a higher crime rate and maybe more homophobia than I choose to surround myself with.

as I write this I am also remembering another area, I believe not far off from wilton manors near the Las Olas Boulevard vicinity...cant remember the name of the area, but how does it compare if you know where I am talking about, and is that area a hop skip and jump from wilton manors (5 blocks), or is it a 20 minute drive?

I kinda picked wilton manors thus far because I am under the impression that if and when I do decide to visit Miami, it will be like a 20 minute drive....kinda like going from brooklyn NY to Brooklyn NY....with the traffic that currently surrounds me; hehehe.
[quote\]
Miami is a 20 minute drive...at 4AM with no traffic. Except 30 mins to Miami and 45 minutes to Miami Beach, especially with traffic. Parking in Wilton Manors is awful at night (they never built a parking garage so people park on homeowners yards/front of their houses nearby) and parking in South Beach is an absolute nightmare. Expect 45 minutes in traffic to Miami...and be prepared to honk your horn, because driving there is aggressive and brutal!
[/quote]

A FEW BASICS:

I work online - internet marketing ; who in these areas in question is the major player with the best connections - I currently make due with a time warner cable internet connection; so I would want something comparable or better and a possible upgrade option for business level if need be (likely not necessary though)
[quote\]
You may only be able to get Comcast, period. Comcast is the only cable provider for a lot of the area...some people have AT&T U-Verse and no one has FIOS. Comcast is my only option for Cable and Internet, aside from a satellite Dish. You can call them and get a quote at 954-Comcast
[/quote]

I want to switch my current cell phone, but will likely wait till i get to Florida....was originally thinking metropcs to save money, and I know they originate from Florida...any votes? and also my advancement in internet marketing may require me to use a phone that can use apps, or email at minimum (I think most carriers including metro have email access from most of their phones).
[quote\]
Please wait to switch your cell service till you move here. I have Verizon Wireless, which works great everywhere, except in Wilton Manors (I believe due to a lack of towers). South Florida cell service for all of the providers is generally worse than in other parts of the country, due to restrictions by local towns and lack of towers (due to the Ocean and all of the rivers, canals, etc.). People do have MetroPCS down here, I cannot attest to their call quality.
[/quote]

do the cable companies force you into a triple play kinda package like here in NY.....is Fios or even a better provider there, and do they have a triple play package?
[quote\]
Nothing better...and they will try to force you into triple Play. Comcast or AT&T is it. I know of no one in South Florida that has FIOS.
[/quote]
Ive seen some apartments for rent that actually include some level of cable and internet combo...is that a common offering?

Ive seen some apartments that include water and trash...is that very common, and if not what can I expect to pay for those services.
[quote\] For both of these, it really varies by place and by complex. I don't get cable/internet through my complex (condos, mostly owners) and the only cable offering allowed is Comcast (there are no competitors with service at my address). Water and Trash is included in my place; if you want a better estimate on the cost, reach out to the City of Wilton Manors to see if they could provide that.

Ive seen alot of landlords in foreclosure renting apartments and then the tenants get evicted upon foreclosure....any way to research that the person renting to me is not in foreclosure and that I am not being scammed.
[quote\] Try to rent from an apartment complex or a place with a HOA...the HOA would tell you whether they are being closed on...and please, PLEASE see a place in person before you rent it...you read all of the time about people renting places sight unseen then moving in and realize it was missing laundry, or was way tinier, etc.
[/quote]

It seems that rental services do not require a license in FL...maybe im mistaken...it also seems the potential tenant does not pay the agent fee when one is involved...in many cases.
[quote\]
No they don't...and we don't pay the fees. New York apartments/listings are way stricter than here...I used a rental service and paid nothing out of pocket. Almost everyone down here works with a realtor, even for an apartment. [/quote]

Is there a way to check the reputation or credibility of a potential agent....seen 2 or 3 good potential agents to work with on craigslist, but we all know about the craigslist scams.
[quote\] Just use common sense. Do they have an office? A legitamate website? I guess you could check with the BBB of Florida...[/quote]

In most pics of rental units on craigslist, it appears that the stovetops are electric and not gas.....is there natural gas service to most of the rental properties in wilton manors and surrounding vicinities?
[quote\]Almost no one has gas here...I have an electric stove. In order to get Gas Service installed at a place, it's usually a huge cost here (remember, almost no one has Gas Heat due to the weather). My boss at work had Gas installed in his house in Miami, and it cost big money.

I must have some outdoor space, whether it be a porch / terrace / balcony or backyard...I love to BBQ. Will I be allowed to BBQ on any of the mentioned areas...or only in a back yard? Laws or restrictions?
[quote\] Varies by Complex Association and rules.[/quote]

What are the bike riding rules…a acquaintance of mine that moved to orlando…moved back (she got home sick) within 9 months….so she bickered about getting pulled over on her bike; lol – she is almost 50 years old with 2 grown children….they gave her a ticket for running a red light; lol – are helmets required or optional; I need to get back into bike riding.
[quote\] Unfortunately, helmets are not required in Florida, which is why there are always motorcycle and "crotch rocket" fatalities on the highway. I highly advise you wear a helmet and look both ways...since moving to Florida 2 years ago, I have personally seen two different people hit on a bike by a car, since people drive fast, aggressive, and do not use turn signals down here.

I obviously have some health issues and can lean toward being a bit of a health nut...Im assuming the sunshine state will have good access to the freshest fruits and vegetables year round. will I have to drive far for fruits and vegetables? for organic produce? organic juice bar? grass fed meats? are there restaurants that deliver good food or fresh pressed juices along the lines of natural or organic....that arent extremely cost prohibitive?
[quote\] There are Farmers Markets and Whole Foods nearby. Not a lot of restaurants deliver natural/organic foods, since everyone drives down here...you should be able to drive and find what you want.

That's all I can answer for now...my fingers are getting tired. I will try to tackle your questions later on.

No matter what, I STRONGLY advise you to visit for a week and try to "live your life" down here. Living here is not like a vacation...it's hot and humid for most of the months of the year, driving is a necessity and a danger, and it's extremely suburban. To say that living in NYC and South Florida are different is an understatement; it's a huge culture change.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 AM

Thanks so much always traveling.....must be nice to travel for a living

I really really truly appreciate all the time you took to help me out and give me such a great response. Your profile should read married, with a heart like yours...mines reads divorced and never again; lol.

I have been really nerve racked and sat down the other day to see what I still didnt know....and the need to know list just got so long....but u r a real champ for helping and I owe you dinner and drinks anytime you like.

Dennis

please, all others that would also like to also help and add to the thread, by all means please do.

Thanks A Million!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM

76 posts, read 298,970 times
Wilton Manors is a nice place for a gay person to retire (esp. if you do not like cold weather), but to compare it to Chelsea or Christopher St is not very helpful. it is more like West Hollywood in that there is a great concentration of gay clubs and businesses, and people drive to them from over a large area. Unlike NYC, the portion of clients who have walked from the houses to the clubs is tiny. South Florida is a suburban, car-dominated culture. Street life is minimal. You go from your car to your destination. Enjoy Wilton Manors for what it is. There is quite a bit to like even if it bears little similarity to Chelsea.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 AM

thanks retiree ouch....
for what its worth, I am in Brooklyn NY and aside from my allergy to the cold issue, I am 60-90 minutes by car to manhattan chelsea / christopher vicinity, my neighborhood has like 0 gay people and moving to manhattan is too expensive aside from my health issue. I am hoping to get close enough to wilton drive that I can walk around....frankly christopher street is only 4 blocks long;lol
I'm hoping there is a 5-10 block stretch of shops, bars, clubs and people. I dont drink much but if I do go out I would prefer not to always use a taxi or drive, especially if I plan to have a couple of drinks....that actually keeps me from even attempting to go out here in NY. If I want to take a walk around chelsea or christopher street on any given evening, it must include 3 hours round trip travel (by train is just as long or more sometimes) and >$6 in gas....which even gets expensive if Im on a little regiman of going out for fresh air 4 or 5 nights a week, which is something I used to do.

and dont get me wrong...I love to drive and noone has worse traffic than NY...but I find that you dont meet the world always trapped in your car....Ive always had much better luck on foot in non-homophobic communities.....and I am far from a flame, but lets face it, if a gay guy likes to date or get into relationships u gotto go out and mingle one way or another.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 AM

Wilton Manors does include what you want, a 4 or 5 block stretch of bars, clubs, restaurants, and gay oriented businesses (and many more scattered about the area). You can definitely find what you want in Wilton Manors. The key, I believe, would be to insist on finding a home (apartment or single-family home) what would put you in walking distance from The Shoppes of Wilton Manors. Such housing does exist. In fact, you will find some very nice options.

I wish you the best!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks retiree for your input...I really appreciate it.

Please keep it coming folks....I need all the help I can get.

Where is a good place for average furniture and accessories....i guess ikea stuff would be good for now, although im bringing alot with me...I will need a good size desk (maybe staples), a new dresser, odds and ends like new dishes, and an inexpensive kitchen table with chairs.

will also need a new flatscreen, stereo surround and dvd player....mine are getting aged and i see no sense in carrying them out there......do you have best buy? or something better in the wilton manors vicinity?...remember Im on a budget

almost forgot.....I rely on my computers to earn a living....are there local computer stores? in home computer guys and gals? here in NY I have a very affordable nice local computer store owner (very small store almost no walkins), that comes right to my house for almost anything i need, 6 days a week...(1 -8 hour wait at the longest) software or hardware related (mostly hardware).

thx
dennis

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 AM

275 posts, read 396,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
Wilton Manors does include what you want, a 4 or 5 block stretch of bars, clubs, restaurants, and gay oriented businesses (and many more scattered about the area). You can definitely find what you want in Wilton Manors. The key, I believe, would be to insist on finding a home (apartment or single-family home) what would put you in walking distance from The Shoppes of Wilton Manors. Such housing does exist. In fact, you will find some very nice options.

I wish you the best!
I concur that Wilton Manors is a great neighborhood! My girlfriend (now ex-) found an apartment in Wilton Manors because it's right on the bus route to her workplace. She lives right on a canal with decent neighbors and very reasonable rent. She has lived there for about six years, and has not had a car for the past four years, but she can get to everything just fine on foot or on the bus. A grocery store, drugstore, coffee shop, and even a recycling drop-off are nearby. I still visit her every year and we greatly enjoy walking around Wilton Manors at night and have no problems. (I can't say the same for places I lived in Pompano or Coral Springs.)
I almost forgot: the best pizza place I have seen outside NYC is right around the corner, too!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks Man Strelnikov.... u just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great pizza close by, walking distance, coffee shops.....so im not exactly moving to the country; lol

Hey what's a reasonable rent considered.....I need to start small and if all goes well I will upgrade; I've seen lots of stuff on craigslist for $600-800 for studio to 1 bedroom.....is that a realistic expectation....or are those just the CL scam rates?

Everyone on here has been great and at this point I am so looking forward to my move!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 AM

For furniture, do look into City Furniture, which is about a mile outside Wilton Manors on Federal Highway near Oakland Park Boulevard. I recently furnished condo there because it had reasonably priced goods that were stylish. There is a Target nearby, too, in the same area, and Target is very good on household items. You should not have to travel out to Ikea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area