U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM

149 posts, read 433,352 times

Advertisements

You are for sure right on with that...I guess I just assume most people today have cars unless they live in NYC. I wasn't trying to criticize you at all, my bad if it came across that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,854 times
I am somewhere halfway between AllenK893 and Mike10693. I love South FL but it does have lots of major problems. Let me try and give you an honest assessment.

Public Transportation- Doable, but not efficient. I have used the bus system to go out to bars and clubs in order to avoid drinking and driving and the high cost of taxi cabs. The bus rides are cheap, but highly unreliable especially at night. You could use to to commute to/from a job and would save lots of $ on transportation. I should warn you there are tons of bums riding on it especially when it rains outside.

Bicycles- It depends how far you live from your work. Fort Lauderdale and Broward County are very large areas and it would be unreasonable for you to commute from Davie to downtown Fort Lauderdale on a bike. But if you live on the east side of Fort Lauderdale, you can commute pretty easily on a bike. As someone else mentioned, there is a danger factor. We have very very aggressive and dangerous drivers here who have little regard for pedestrians. Hit and runs are common here.

Job Market- Pretty bad. I realize there are worse states statistically. But it really depends on which field you are in.

If I were you, I'd recommend living on the East side of Fort Lauderdale East of Dixie Highway. Anywhere west will require you to buy a car or deal with very long bus rides each day.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM

149 posts, read 433,352 times
All good points. My bachelors is in communications which is centered around marketing and advertising. Much better in South Florida when you include Fort Lauderdale AND Miami...especially when compared to my home state of Maine haha.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

Bicycles- It depends how far you live from your work. Fort Lauderdale and Broward County are very large areas and it would be unreasonable for you to commute from Davie to downtown Fort Lauderdale on a bike. But if you live on the east side of Fort Lauderdale, you can commute pretty easily on a bike. As someone else mentioned, there is a danger factor. We have very very aggressive and dangerous drivers here who have little regard for pedestrians. Hit and runs are common here.
Commuting by bicycle is reasonable only in *certain* areas , based on your proximity to your work. I tried and failed at bike commuting in Fort Laud, mostly because of the inconvenience of showering and dressing after getting sweaty on the bike ride (as well as some scares with South Florida drivers due to the lack of sufficient bike lanes). It was too bad, because I really wanted to succeed in becoming a part time bike commuter.

With both biking and with the bus, it's all about where you choose to reside. There are areas that are right off a bus route, and better yet off a Breeze (the express bus) route. I noticed that there is a bus that goes down Peters Road in Plantation direct to the downtown Fort Lauderdale terminal, and I have considered using that bus once it's no longer summer (if I walk the 1/4 mile route from the house to the bus stop NOW, I will be a sweaty mess before work).

Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM

438 posts, read 559,122 times
The bus system will be ok IF you'll be living and working near the main streets where the buses run. I wouldn't recommend moving here without lining up a job first though.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM

16,082 posts, read 38,005,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Check any Hawaii-to-Florida thread and the OP's update. FL is just not where it's at! If you move here, no doubt you will regret it!! Especially coming from Hawaii! FL doesn't compare!!
I'll have to look for those threads.

I always wondered how people coming from Hawaii fared in South Florida.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM

140 posts, read 355,129 times
I have lived in Ft Lauderdale (and miss it a lot) I also have lived in Hawaii(only 6 months). If my kids and grandkids lived to closer to Hawaii I'd be going there !!

It's no contest!! With the one large exception (costs) Hawaii has it all over FL in EVERYWAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area