U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,409,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSM View Post
West of Miramar is very nice and civilized as well as west of Plantation. East of these places are quite ghetto and dangerous. You'll feel like if you're in Jamaica, Haiti or Africa. Non American feel BIG TIME!
Have you ever actually been to Plantation? There are some scruffy parts of Plantation between 441 and the Turnpike but most of Plantation is very very "american" in feel whether east or west. The eastern part of the city is older and a little less upscale than the west but most of the neighborhoods between University and 441 are pretty nice. Take a drive on Holly Lane. Or Fig Tree Lane.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM

5,073 posts, read 7,919,918 times
Plantation is nicer IMO. Also, Sunrise is close by and should be considered as well. Both close to SawGrass Mills Mall

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM

141 posts, read 366,426 times
Take a look at Pembroke PInes west of 75. Our area is populated with folks who either are or retired from Southcom. The Pines Blvd entrance/exit to 75 makes for a doable commute.
Look at Grand Palms, Towngate and Cobblestone. All close to 75.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
I don't think its fair to compare any area of Plantation to the rough areas in the eastern part of Miramar.

Plantation is a nicer city in terms of it's amenities and overall look, as the nicest parts of Plantation consist of shade trees and non cookie-cutter homes, whereas the nicest parts of Miramar tend to be brand-new gated communities that haven't really developed any "character" to them, although the newness might be appealing to some people. Plantation also has much better shopping and dining and a bit better of a location. However, Miramar and Plantation really have a similar proportion of good, bad, and mediocre areas as Miramar is a much larger city in land area. I would say the real trouble spot in Miramar is not east Miramar but Sherman Circle and a few communities close to Carol City in between University Drive and Palm Ave. You can regularly hear of home invasions, robberies, drug dealing, etc, some section 8 housing in this area, although physically it is not in bad shape. East Miramar is more of a weathered-looking area that has seen better days, but is not particularly dangerous, and some pockets are surprisingly well maintained. Plantation has trouble spots too, off of Sunrise Blvd east of the turnpike, areas near 441, and areas near Lauderhill, where you will also hear of drug dealing, robberies, etc. The other areas east of the Turnpike and some areas near University Drive are pretty mediocre as well, if not at all unsafe. The thing is that Miramar has a very small percentage of "anglo" residents compared to Plantation and is predominantly black in many areas, so people perceive the mediocre areas in Miramar to be worse then they really are. Just telling it how it is. The crime rates and median income levels between the two cities are similar. In other words, Plantation is a little more appealing to live in, and for the OP, there is more rental housing that is appealing in Plantation.

Mediocre street in Plantation

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=planta...259.77,,0,5.57

Mediocre Street in Miramar

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mirama...2,96.5,,0,8.13

Almost no difference.

High-ish crime area in Plantation.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=planta...16.05,,0,-2.01

High-ish crime area in Miramar.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mirama...,282.7,,0,6.21

Not too much difference. Both cities are more prone to spillover crime at their fringes from nearby worse areas.

Nice area in Plantation

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=planta...194.62,,0,4.02

Nice area in Miramar

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mirama...91.02,,0,10.87

That's why Plantation wins for me, but it's a matter of what you want.

Also, even in generally "mediocre" areas there are nice looking pockets in both cities. There more of of these then there are pockets of bad.

Plantation, decent area east of the Turnpike

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=planta...,13.43,,0,1.37

Miramar, "east Miramar"

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mirama...165.32,,0,4.29

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-14-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM

22 posts, read 46,667 times
Plantation

Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
Take a look at Pembroke PInes west of 75. Our area is populated with folks who either are or retired from Southcom. The Pines Blvd entrance/exit to 75 makes for a doable commute.
Look at Grand Palms, Towngate and Cobblestone. All close to 75.
Nooooo!!! That Pines Blvd to 75 interchange is terrible and by far the worst designed interchange in Broward County. It is too spread out and the traffic lights take forever. The Dykes Road light it can take you 10 minutes between cycles. When you exit 75 onto Pines Blvd heading west there is no way to get over to the middle lane because of the traffic and you wind up getting stuck in the right turn lane for Dykes Road. To top that off Pines Blvd traffic is bad and the drivers are so aggressive you may as well live in Miami. I avoid driving on Pines Blvd at all costs in that area.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 PM

230 posts, read 336,537 times
I actually lived in St. Louis for four years. I would suggest Hollywood versus Plantation. It is as close as you'll get to that older, urban historic feel. Also, reading some people's "definitions" for bad parts of Broward, I'd take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 PM

141 posts, read 366,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Nooooo!!! That Pines Blvd to 75 interchange is terrible and by far the worst designed interchange in Broward County. It is too spread out and the traffic lights take forever. The Dykes Road light it can take you 10 minutes between cycles. When you exit 75 onto Pines Blvd heading west there is no way to get over to the middle lane because of the traffic and you wind up getting stuck in the right turn lane for Dykes Road. To top that off Pines Blvd traffic is bad and the drivers are so aggressive you may as well live in Miami. I avoid driving on Pines Blvd at all costs in that area.
Most folks get into the proper lane before they make their turns, called planning ahead.

10 minutes to turn into Dykes???? I do it daily. Standard light.

Pines Blvd. gets dicey when folks are doing their Christmas shopping what with the two malls, Pembroke Lakes and Pembroke Gardens.

As I wrote in a previous post the area is filled with Southcom people. Closer than Weston, two I-75 exits less. The communities mentioned in the earlier post are very close to 75 making for a tolerable commute (if any are)

Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,638 times
Thanks for your replies...after realizing how unbelievable the traffic in the area is, we decided to rent in Doral. It will be great for my boys to learn spanish and the food is awesome.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
Most folks get into the proper lane before they make their turns, called planning ahead.

10 minutes to turn into Dykes???? I do it daily. Standard light.

Pines Blvd. gets dicey when folks are doing their Christmas shopping what with the two malls, Pembroke Lakes and Pembroke Gardens.

As I wrote in a previous post the area is filled with Southcom people. Closer than Weston, two I-75 exits less. The communities mentioned in the earlier post are very close to 75 making for a tolerable commute (if any are)
OH!!! You mean you are supposed to change lanes before turning? Gee I wasn't aware of that. (Sarcasm)

That is the whole point though. The off-ramp for 75 merges into the right turn lane of Dykes Road. It is very difficult to change lanes to get over in time before traffic gets backed up for the light. I have been forced to turn right on Dykes then do a u-turn to get back in the straight lanes. Horrible designed intersection. It is a perfect example of an architect over-thinking themselves. They thought the further you spread out everything, the better traffic flows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area