Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,422 times

Advertisements

So I've accepted that there's no way around it - if I want to live in west Broward (still open to choosing a city) and work in downtown Miami, the commute is going to stink. I'm interested in hearing what routes to take, how long it takes during rush hour, and if there are any hopes on the horizon that the traffic will improve after the 595 construction is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

314 posts, read 817,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneryforme View Post
So I've accepted that there's no way around it - if I want to live in west Broward (still open to choosing a city) and work in downtown Miami, the commute is going to stink. I'm interested in hearing what routes to take, how long it takes during rush hour, and if there are any hopes on the horizon that the traffic will improve after the 595 construction is completed.
Yeah the traffic is horrible in S.FL. Luckily I do not work in Miami. Try looking in south Broward to live like Miramar, Hollywood or maybe look into North Miami Beach. It will cause less headache I absolutely hate driving down here.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,258 times
I have a pilot friend who lives in Weston and commutes to MIA at various times. If he leaves by 7am, he is there by 7:35 or so. If he leaves at 8am, he is there around 9:15.

Unfortunately, there is no similar time window benefit for the return trip......anything between 3:30 and 7:30 is an hour to an hour and half assuming no accidents adding to that.

Unless he leaves early, he always takes the Turnpike, since he says it gets him to his destination with less inclination to commit bodily injury to others along the way.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneryforme View Post
I avoid going to our Miami (Brickell) office.

But when I do, I start working remotely, then leave after 9am. 45-50 minutes later, I am there.

Another option is to leave home around 7am. 45-50 minutes I am there.

Lately the express lanes have been great. Unless someone manages to have an accident in them.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM

I had a friend, a captain in USCG, he used to take I595/Turnpike/I95 from Weston to his station in downtown Miami.

Two USAF friends did the same to go to the SOCOM office.

But they always left early.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

My coworker lives in Sunrise and goes to our Miami office every day. He takes I-75 to Gratiny, then jumps on 22nd Ave ( I think it is 22nd) which runs parallel to I95. According to him it always moves nicely. But probably you don't want to be on it after dark. Anyway, he takes that all the way to the Airport Expressway and then gets on I95.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM

87 posts, read 168,669 times
Thanks for the timely thread. I am considering applying for a promotion but instead of driving from West Sunrise to Plantation, I'd be commuting from West Sunrise to Miami.

I'm not sure if driving or Tri-Rail would be my best option. Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
Thanks for the timely thread. I am considering applying for a promotion but instead of driving from West Sunrise to Plantation, I'd be commuting from West Sunrise to Miami.

I'm not sure if driving or Tri-Rail would be my best option. Any thoughts?
Not Tri-rail, but the 95 Express busses out of Miramar Town Center (or Pembroke Pines) may work, and may save even you on parking downtown. Tri-rail is way east and won't work for you.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM

What about getting from West Sunrise to the Express bus? How can that be done?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I avoid going to our Miami (Brickell) office.

But when I do, I start working remotely, then leave after 9am. 45-50 minutes later, I am there.

Another option is to leave home around 7am. 45-50 minutes I am there.

Lately the express lanes have been great. Unless someone manages to have an accident in them.
7AM? Really? I find that the traffic starts getting really really bad right at 7AM. I have to do this commute on occasion, and I always drive before 7AM to avoid that traffic. If I can't make it by 7AM, I don't go. It is that bad. Between 6AM and 6:45 AM isn't too bad, but it starts getting really heavy the closer to 7AM you get. Then after 9:30 A.M. it really clears up. I do my best to avoid driving that route between 7AM and 9:30 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area