Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 32,733 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, have a slightly embarrassing question for you all. I recently moved to Ft. Lauderdale, and am a very weak swimmer. Long story short: didn't have classes as a kid, picked up breaststroke on my own but never learned to tread water, then had a near-drowning experience about seven years ago that has left me with a fear of water. I'm determined to kick said phobia to the curb now that I'm a Florida resident.

Does anyone know of any places in Broward (preferably Ft. Lauderale, but will travel for a good instructor) that do a good job of teaching grown-up swimmers? Preferably in private or semi-private lessons? (I noticed that the City of Fort Lauderdale has adult beginner classes... ages 13 and older. As a woman in her mid-twenties, I would probably die of embarrassment learning the fundamentals of swimming alongside a 13-year-old. )

There is no way I'll be able to fully enjoy the South Florida experience without feeling confident in the water... so, please, if you have any recommendations/insight, I'd be happy to read it! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 AM

314 posts, read 817,070 times
Hey it's good that you want to learn! It is essential to know how to swim in Florida (I think). Check out Caporella Aquatic Complex in Tamarac, FL. It's right off of Commercial Blvd past Pine Island. I believe they have swimming classes for adults but over there they might be OLDER than you since Tamarac has a lot of 60+ inhabitants. There is an Adult Level 1 which is 18 & up if you click on the flyer. Click on this for more information. City of Tamarac And good luck!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutastic View Post
Hi everyone, have a slightly embarrassing question for you all. I recently moved to Ft. Lauderdale, and am a very weak swimmer. Long story short: didn't have classes as a kid, picked up breaststroke on my own but never learned to tread water, then had a near-drowning experience about seven years ago that has left me with a fear of water. I'm determined to kick said phobia to the curb now that I'm a Florida resident.

Does anyone know of any places in Broward (preferably Ft. Lauderale, but will travel for a good instructor) that do a good job of teaching grown-up swimmers? Preferably in private or semi-private lessons? (I noticed that the City of Fort Lauderdale has adult beginner classes... ages 13 and older. As a woman in her mid-twenties, I would probably die of embarrassment learning the fundamentals of swimming alongside a 13-year-old. )

There is no way I'll be able to fully enjoy the South Florida experience without feeling confident in the water... so, please, if you have any recommendations/insight, I'd be happy to read it! Thanks in advance.
I can't imagine these people not being able to help you.

International Swimming Hall of Fame

Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Our son swims competitively for Ft Lauderdale Aquatics here in Boca which is not their main campus the main Swim Campus is at the Swimming Hall of Fame....just go to flaswim.com
they do adult lessons as well....Good luck

Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
I am pretty sure that the City of Plantation does adult swimming lessons at its Aquatic Center, which is not too far to drive from Ft Lauderdale.

Good luck. I think EVERYONE should be able to swim, especially in a water-bound area like South Florida. You never know when it may save your life, or someone else's!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 32,733 times
Thanks, everyone! It looks like Ft. Lauderdale Aquatics will be able to help me out -- lessons start tomorrow. Water, here I come!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Awesome they are Great good luck
Our son loves his coaches!!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM

238 posts, read 567,608 times
My kids learned at Jack Nelson Swim school on Seabreeze Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. They teach adults too. It was great. I highly recommend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area