U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,015,973 times

Advertisements

That is a long commute IMHO, and I agree that there are often hiccups and accidents on 95. I personally would have a problem with that commute, but I find I-95 pretty unbearable in general and try to avoid it as much as I can. Plus, just getting on to I-95 via the surface streets would add another 15 minutes at least, from Las Olas. Especially during the tourist season and depending on where you live in relation to a bridge.

I might reconsider the Las Olas idea and choose to live a little further south, such as East Hollywood/Young Circle area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM

10 posts, read 40,360 times
Hi SierraDog,

I took your advice and researched the Young Circle section of Hollywood. It does look nice and I found some apartments that look good on Van Buren Street.

Can you, or anyone else, advise if this would be a good place to live for a young (early 30's), single professional relocating from NYC to live? I'm looking to live in a beach community (I want to be at the beach all the time) with a mix of nightlife and culture.

Could I drive to the Las Olas Blvd area in about 15 minutes? Could I drive to Miami in about 30 minutes (Adrienne Arsht Center, specifically)?

Maybe this neighborhood is a better option for somebody who wants to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but needs to commute to Miami for work?

You all have been so helpful - - much appreciated and I'm starting to get excited!!

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

427 posts, read 745,562 times
Where are the apartments on Van Buren? If it's the lofts, those are nice.

From there to Las Olas will take closer to 20-25 minutes, depending on traffic. From Hollywood to the Arsht Center would be a little longer than 30 minutes. If you take I-95 you will have to go west to get on the highway, then east to get back to US 1 where the Arsht Center is. Count on about 45 minutes for that. If you take the straight shot right up US 1, it's a more direct route but slower because of traffic lights and slower speed limit, maybe 45-60 minutes.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,854 times
Hollywood sounds like a good option. But if your agenda is to live in Las Olas, then you should probably just go for it. You wouldn't really save that much time or distance commuting from Hollywood rather than Las Olas. Maybe 10 minutes. The traffic in Hollywood is also pretty bad. Everything is congested there.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 40,360 times
Good to know, Nolefan34. I appreciate all of your feedback. And honestly, I don't mind driving, so I would be willing to drive an extra 15 minutes or so to live in the place where I would be most happy.

Again, I'll have lots of flexibility with my work hours. I could arrive to my office in Miami after 10am, so it sounds like leaving the Ft. Lauderdale after 9:30am would make for a reasonable commute to the Adrienne Arsht Center - - I'd love to arrive anytime between 10:15am - 10:30am.

And I'll be working some nights (when there are shows)...so I'll be returning to Ft. Lauderdale anytime between 6pm - 9pm. So that should make for a reasonable return commute.

Again, to all of you...thank you, thank you!! And I'd still welcome any additional advice that you all may have. I won't be making the move until November.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 AM

12,131 posts, read 14,087,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belvedere21 View Post
I'm going to be taking a job in Miami, but really want to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I've heard the commute can be horrific, possibly over an hour. But what if I don't have to be at work until around 10am. If I left Ft. Lauderdale at 9:30am would the traffic be less intense?

What about the return drive from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale at around 6pm?

I'm happy to work in Miami, but want to live in a less intense environment. I want a nice mix of beach and city life. I was told Ft. Lauderdale has the perfect mix.

Appreciate any advice you can offer to someone unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks!
If you live near the highway your commute will certainly be less. Live on 441 you will kill 1/2 hour just getting to the highway to start your trip south. Live off 17th Street Causeway, hit 595 to I95 and you will be A LOT closer to 40 minutes each way. Live off Davie Blvd 15 miles west of I95 and you will kill an hour each way.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM

BTW off Las Olas is much nicer than Van Buren in Hollywood......

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
That is a long commute IMHO, and I agree that there are often hiccups and accidents on 95. I personally would have a problem with that commute, but I find I-95 pretty unbearable in general and try to avoid it as much as I can. Plus, just getting on to I-95 via the surface streets would add another 15 minutes at least, from Las Olas. Especially during the tourist season and depending on where you live in relation to a bridge.

I might reconsider the Las Olas idea and choose to live a little further south, such as East Hollywood/Young Circle area.

US1 south to 595 then west to I95.......least amount of lights and all major thoroughfares and you miss the Broward Blvd ghetto

Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,308,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
BTW off Las Olas is much nicer than Van Buren in Hollywood......
Very true!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM

427 posts, read 745,562 times
Belvedere,

There was a nice article in the Miami Herald about the Arsht Center yesterday in case you're interested -- For Miami’s arts theater, a solid stage and some new scenery - Business - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/04/2439029/for-miamis-arts-theater-a-solid.html#storylink=misearch - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area