U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 25,124 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I moved here from Denver for a job opportunity. I've actually been up to the Las Olas area a couple times. It seemed a bit more friendly there. It's been 9 months since moving here. I'm basically just trying to make friends being new to the area. I never envisioned it would be this hard. I don't want to give up on the area if Las Olas may be an option. That said if it's going to be similar struggles meeting friends maybe it's time to cut my losses and relocate. I definitely need to move from Miami.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM

110 posts, read 131,362 times
I think it is a little easier to meet new people in Fort Lauderdale than Miami. I also think you should join some clubs to meet people in your area that want to meet people. Have you tried meetup.com? It is free.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,561,482 times
the ft lauderdale culture and environment gets more and more like miami every day. It used to be very different than miami but not today. broward and dade are morphing into the same place, you have to go much further north than lauderdale to see a real difference in the atmosphere

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 AM

100 posts, read 293,516 times
When I moved to Ft. Lauderdale area 10 years ago, I had no problem meeting people.

I dont think certain areas are any easier than other areas to meet people. People are people, no matter where u go. Perhaps u didn't put urself out there enough?

I cant stand when people say "people in location X are so conceited and cliquish and only stick to their own circle of friends". I'm sorry, but thats B.S. People who like you if you're likeable, friendly, and relatively attractive.

It's that simple. If you're some monk that lives in ur apartment all day and never does anything and have nothing to talk about then yeah...why would anyone wanna be ur friend?

Just go out with people from work. Frequent a bar or lounge and start chatting people up, meet people online, like from dating websites, etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM

8,992 posts, read 7,840,650 times
Default Tough to Make Friends in SoFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
I dont think certain areas are any easier than other areas to meet people. People are people, no matter where u go. Perhaps u didn't put urself out there enough?

I cant stand when people say "people in location X are so conceited and cliquish and only stick to their own circle of friends". I'm sorry, but thats B.S. People who like you if you're likeable, friendly, and relatively attractive.

I totally disagree. Of course, I'm not a single 30 something, but even if you "put yourself out there," people will often ignore you even if you are likeable, friendly and relatively attractive. SoFl is a very difficult place to meet and get to know people.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 25,124 times
Quote:
It's that simple. If you're some monk that lives in ur apartment all day and never does anything and have nothing to talk about then yeah...why would anyone wanna be ur friend?
I have to disagree with this. I've been out frequently. Literally every weekend putting myself out there so that's not the issue. If you try to start conversations and nobody is interested in letting people in their circle that's the issue. I'm out making an effort and have plenty to talk about.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,683 times
I think South Florida in general is tough.

What has worked for me is involvement with clubs and activity groups (Meetup.com) for example. It does seem to take a lot of effort here to get out and meet people. There are also some young professionals groups (Emerge Broward is one) that have networking events regularly.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM

438 posts, read 558,906 times
Florida (and especially south Florida) isn't an ideal place to be looking for long-term relationships or friendships, especially in areas like South Beach where people in the under 45 age groups often gather to socialize. Many are tourists here on business or vacation, some are party people who drop in to do the weekend club scene, and some are drifters from other states (some of whom are on the lam)---many of these people are just passing through and not particularly interested in the type of friendship that you're looking for.

Las Olas is a slightly different type of scene---but only slightly. There you will find similar bars, restaurants, and nightclubs with many of the same types of people with the same attitudes as there are in Miami. Perhaps you might find it easier to meet people if you stop 'trying' to do it. Instead, do things and go to places that interest you. That's always a good way to meet other people who have similar interests.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,164 times
South FL is very cliquish. You have to know someone to meet someone. People don't say hi to you in public. If you smile at a stranger or say hi, you are considered a creep. People keep to themselves here in ordinary life and only socialize in certain situations when they go out for nightlife.

I believe this attitude stems from several factors. Mainly that there are so many sketchy scam artist, bums, beggars, lawyers, and other social fisfits trying to take advantage of you here. People develop a defense mechanism by not socializing with strangers.

My suggestion would be to join a club or get involved. Try kickball.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 14,064,264 times
A. 3/4 of the people in Miami I wouldn't want to talk to!
B. Do you drink? Go to a neighborhood bar and hang out on a weekend afternoon(no, not an old man Elk's Club type bar, but a local sports bar/not a night club)
C. Brickell is tough, lots of condos and not a lot of action but Coconut Grove/CocoWalk could be worth a shot.
D. Lauderdale can be cool downtown/by the beach but get west of US1 and it is ghetto.

S. FL is full of transient people (from across the US as well as Worldwide) so you will need to work on putting yourself out there since everyone is in the same situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area