Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 17,695 times

Advertisements

I am a heterosexual "young professional" male in my mid 20s and i'm looking to relocate to the downtown lauderdale area. the closer to downtown and/or the beach the better. i have no problem with gays whatsoever, just want to avoid living in a neighborhood that's predominantly gay. obviously, wilton manors is out of the question for me and i'm wondering if there are other neighborhoods that are primarily gay so i can know to avoid them.

again, i want to be very clear - i am very liberal and totally not homophobic. its just that, like some homosexuals prefer to live among other homosexuals, i prefer to live among people more like myself - young professional heteros.

all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando18 View Post
I am a heterosexual "young professional" male in my mid 20s and i'm looking to relocate to the downtown lauderdale area. the closer to downtown and/or the beach the better. i have no problem with gays whatsoever, just want to avoid living in a neighborhood that's predominantly gay. obviously, wilton manors is out of the question for me and i'm wondering if there are other neighborhoods that are primarily gay so i can know to avoid them.

again, i want to be very clear - i am very liberal and totally not homophobic. its just that, like some homosexuals prefer to live among other homosexuals, i prefer to live among people more like myself - young professional heteros.

Just stay out of Wilton Manors .... I know of no other predominantly gay neighborhoods in or near Downtown Ft.Lauderdale ... not there is anything wrong with that

Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 17,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Just stay out of Wilton Manors .... I know of no other predominantly gay neighborhoods in or near Downtown Ft.Lauderdale ... not there is anything wrong with that
of course, nothing wrong with that at all...
Nevertheless, I'm looking around the Victoria Park, Rio Vista, Colee Hammock areas, and i heard that some areas there are also pretty gay. any input?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,723 times
Quote:
of course, nothing wrong with that at all...
Nevertheless, I'm looking around the Victoria Park, Rio Vista, Colee Hammock areas, and i heard that some areas there are also pretty gay. any input?
As a gay young professional, let me offer my input.

Obviously, Wilton Manors is out of the question. Of the areas you stated, Victoria Park is the only one I know of that would have a heavier gay population then the other.

Having lived here over 2 years, I can tell you that you will inevitably run into gay people anywhere you live east of I-95. Most of my gay friends live in the eastern side of Broward County.

As long as you stay out of Wilton Manors and maybe Victoria Park, you will not be in an area that is predominantly gay. You say you are not homophobic, which is good, because you will inevitably run into one of my peers!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

76 posts, read 298,920 times
The advice mainly to stay out of Wilton Manors seems right to me. Downtown is not "predominently" gay by any stretch of the imagination. There is a concentration of gays along the beach between Sunrise Boulevard and Las Olas Boulevard. North and south of that area have gay residents, but the gay population is not concentrated.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Las Olas is a good area. Just very very expensive. If you can afford Las Olas, I'd say live there. If not, check out Fort Lauderdale Beach, Plantation, Davie, Pompano beach, or Lauderdale by the Seas.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Quote:

Well .. You could always live in .. 'Davie' as I don't think you will find very many hanging around there! 8)

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
It's interesting because I've always heard Wilton Manors is such a gay mecca, yet when I went to go see what the hype was about (because I'm nosy ) I didn't run in to too many gay people. I saw some obviously gay people in Publix there, but nothing like what I was imagining

Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It's interesting because I've always heard Wilton Manors is such a gay mecca, yet when I went to go see what the hype was about (because I'm nosy ) I didn't run in to too many gay people. I saw some obviously gay people in Publix there, but nothing like what I was imagining
Are you serious? Pretty much everyone who lives there is gay. You cannot drive down the street without seeing two men holding hands.

As long as the original poster avoids Wilton Manors, he'll be ok.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I think you may have been lost, pretty much everybody in Wilton Manors is gay. They even have a store there called Gay-Mart. Every business is gay owned.
Gay Mart Wilton Manors FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area