U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 AM

35 posts, read 92,430 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am just curious to see if when people relocate to another state if they have a job lined up or if they job search after they arrive in the new state. I know some employers want you to relocate first and then come in for an interview. I would really feel so much better making our drive down to FL knowing that I already have job lined up. We would also be able to move sooner if we have jobs lined up so we wouldnt have to worry about money. If my fiance and I are both unemployed when moving we will need to have an additional 10k set aside to cover our bills for the first 3-5 months while we find jobs. My fiance is HVAC certified, has his CDL( A, B, tanker, hazmat, passengers etc,) I work in the social service field as a Case Manager for adults and children with mental illnesses and behavioral issues. I'm hoping we will both be able to find jobs quickly but in this economy you just never know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 PM

20,683 posts, read 11,695,495 times
I would send out some resume's because I wouldn't move down here without a job unless I had some serious cash to get me through.

I moved down here in the early 80's with no job but took a leave of absence from my former job. I got a new job in 3 days but still came with enough cash to hold me over for a few months.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 33,435 times
I had a job offer prior to relocating.

I would NOT recommend making the move until you have a job offer in writing. I am not sure where you are relocating from, but SoFlo can be shockingly expensive depending on what you are accustomed to. Real jobs (careers) are few and far between.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Im from NJ and from the research I have done FL rent is much less.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:15 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,965,089 times
Rents may be slightly less expensive here than NJ, which I find hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. Car insurance here is very expensive, probably more than NJ. Food here is more expensive than NYC.

Moving here without a job would be suicide. Between rent, car insurance, car payments, food, and entertainment (it is expensive to do anything here) you will go broke quickly.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM

161 posts, read 392,015 times
The CDL will be a good fail safe, he can get a job as a truck driver if nothing else, but it will more then likely be over the road and he won't be home often ( no matter what the companies promise you ). Not a good scenario but will keep you from starving.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,965,089 times
Another thing- Many companies will not consider hiring someone who lives out of state. If/when you move here, your options will expand more than likely. It is a catch 22. You have to decide whether you want to take the risk. You cannot have one foot in/one foot out. It is all or nothing. Either you make the move or you don't.

If you have little money saved up, do not make the move. You are asking for failure. If you have a year's worth of living expenses saved up then it might work out.

You can also try renting a P.O. Box in Fort Lauderdale and using that address to apply to jobs. Then have your mail forwarded to NJ.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Another thing- Many companies will not consider hiring someone who lives out of state. If/when you move here, your options will expand more than likely. It is a catch 22. You have to decide whether you want to take the risk. You cannot have one foot in/one foot out. It is all or nothing. Either you make the move or you don't.

If you have little money saved up, do not make the move. You are asking for failure. If you have a year's worth of living expenses saved up then it might work out.

You can also try renting a P.O. Box in Fort Lauderdale and using that address to apply to jobs. Then have your mail forwarded to NJ.

It really is a catch 22 b/c people say not to moving until you secure a job...but most places will not interview you unless you already live in the area. I have spoken to several behavioral health agencies that told me as soon as I move down to please contact them. They wont interview anyone until they live within 45 mins of the office. Im leaning toward just going for it. I have two jobs in NJ right now, one of which I can come back to "if" i ever needed to b/c its a family business. When we move down we will be staying with family so we will not be paying rent or utl while we job search. We dont have any school loans or other debt so we would just be paying our cell bill and 1 car loan that we have. so about $400 a month in total bills and we have 20k saved even though we will be living with family I still wanted an emergency fund. Im thinking we should go down and if in 6-9 months we dont find jobs we can come back to jersey and back to the family business. What do you think??

Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM

20 posts, read 41,903 times
got job interview while on vacation, moved 1 week later.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 5,369,721 times
Rents are lower but so are the WAGES, IF you can find a job. I consider that a wash from the NE. Right now I am doing the reverse. All I hear from are scam, pyramid sales jobs. I would rather clean toilets for an hourly wage than some commission, sign other people up, scam job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area