Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,057 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved here from Providence, RI. A place very much known for its massive population of artists, weird indie pizza places and coffee cafes. I'm feeling like I'm completely missing that down here and is wondering if anyone knows any places like that here. I live near Downtown Ft. L. and would love to find some hole-in-the-wall places where I could meet some other artists, musicians, writers, etc. If you're one of them, I'd definitely love to meet up! My email is on my website under the profile tab.

Alixandria M. Hilliard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 PM

314 posts, read 817,238 times
Hi, I don't really follow that much anymore but you will find some hole in the wall places if you really look..by FAU in Boca Raton is Funky Buddah, they have hookahs, open mic night etc. You should also check out Wilton Manors it is really gay there but there are some hole in the wall places to hang out hahah. I can't really think of many places that come to mind. South Florida lacks eccentricity, many people here graviate toward commercial things. You should go to the Swap Shop it sounds funny but they have a drive in...haha just don't walk around there at night. The Fillmore Miami Beach has cool bands that come and play...actually you can go to The Vagabond which is in Miami, its kinda far from Ft. Lauderdale but it's a cool ass place they place really cool music. It's more likely you'll find more hole in the wall places in Miami since it's a bigger city. Also Youngs Circle Hollywood has a lot of different places, foreign cuisine and places to display your artwork.. you gotta look its really hard. A lot of places closed town. There was a record shop that sold a lot of indie music but they closed down.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM

275 posts, read 396,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixhilliard View Post
Hey all,

I just moved here from Providence, RI. A place very much known for its massive population of artists, weird indie pizza places and coffee cafes. I'm feeling like I'm completely missing that down here and is wondering if anyone knows any places like that here. I live near Downtown Ft. L. and would love to find some hole-in-the-wall places where I could meet some other artists, musicians, writers, etc. If you're one of them, I'd definitely love to meet up! My email is on my website under the profile tab.

Alixandria M. Hilliard
There is a somewhat fragmented goth/industrial scene and a huge Fetish scene (with the inevitable crossover). A good place to meet alternative type people is some of the events at The Respectable Street Cafe in WPB.
Do you know DJ Delecti? He produced a club night in Providence called "Sanctuary" until sometime last year. He's a great guy.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,906 times
Hi! Welcome to Fort Lauderdale. I organize an indie craft fair here in downtown Fort Lauderdale and my next event is coming up on October 16th. You should come! There will be about 40 artists and crafters selling handmade and vintage stuff. Plus, it's an awesome place to meet that kind of crowd! The location itself is cute - an independent film house called Cinema Paradiso. You can email me at: indiecraftbazaar@gmail.com or friend it on facebook: facebook.com/indiecraftbazaar!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,793 times
If you're willing to travel north, Lake Worth seems to be a new, up and coming artsy scene. It's still up and coming and inexpensive enough that artists can live there. There are some offbeat little places (restaurants, bars, galleries) around downtown Lake Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area