Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM

314 posts, read 817,238 times

Advertisements

Go to Fort Lauderdale and live by the beach/intercoastal.. You'll like it...Miami is too much craziness. Also the people are not so nice, some people are cool I guess it depends who you come across. I am a native and I'm nice so I guess its just the transplants with attitude and there are a lot of transplants. Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
DO NOT live in Miami. Seeing that you are from NC, Miami would be a complete culture shock for you. It is like a mix of NYC, L.A., Cuba, and Colombia. Very fast paced city with high crime, lots of drug activity, and lots of people who do not speak English. Some parts of Miami, such as South Beach, Brickell, Coconut Grove, and Coral Gables are cool places. But you have to know Miami and want to be there and put up with all of the crazyness.

Fort Lauderdale is much easier to transition to from other parts of the U.S. You will probably fit in here better than Miami. It is much more laid back, less traffic, less crime, and has just as much to do here as Miami. Plus it is only 30-45 minutes driving to Miami so you can go whenever you want anyways.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
The main disadvantage of FLL is that IF you're looking for a more urban setting, Brickell would be better, especially since the office is also in Brickell. In FLL, all you really have is the Las Olas riverfront area and a few blocks of downtown (FLL beach is more touristy--really just a row of restraunts and bars there). In Miami, you've got a *little* more room to roam around, without running into suburban sprawl. There are more walkable areas, it it's important to you. Of course, Miami has all the usual issues of an urban environment--and then some. It is quite a bit crazier, and you have to put up with a lot.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:28 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,090 times
Won't they give you a trip down to look at both places? Yes, I suppose FTL is less intensely urban than downtown Miami, but you're 25 and 28, right? I wouldn't automatically pass on the Brickell area or the Lincoln Road area until you've seen it. That has a much younger people feel to it than just about anywhere in FTL.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 PM

I still think Fort Lauderdale is the best option for the original poster. It takes a certain type of person to be able to put up with Miami and South Beach.

I'll list the places in South FL that fit the criteria of the original poster:

1. Miami Beach
Pros- Very urbanized. Very walkable. Lots of young people and tourists. Always something going on, similar to living in NYC but with a beach right there. Lots of nightlife, clubs, hotels, restaurants, etc. Wonderful place to visit. Lots of good looking people.
Cons- High cost of living, constant hectic lifestyle, parking is a pain, LOTS of tourists who don't speak English, lots of unfriendly pretentious rude people. At times you will feel ignored.

2. Fort Lauderdale-Las Olas
Pros- Large cluster of urban condos and high rises amongst the central business district. A good number of bars and small local eateries. Riverfront complex, Yolo, and Vibe are good places for nightlife. Lots of young professional types.
Cons- Expensive rents, lack of conventional shopping, and LOTS of bums hanging out on the streets. The area becomes a ghost town on weekends except for the night life after 10PM. It is common to witness schizophrenics and other mental types screaming at walls or causing a scene in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. There are also some really bad neighborhoods just across Broward Blvd with Section 8 housing. If you stay near your building you'll be fine.

3. Brickell:
Pros- Lots of new and beautiful skyscraper condo buildings recently built within the last 10 years. Many condo choices with stunning views in all directions. A good amount of local nightlife walkable from your building. Lots of young professionals. People-mover line and Metro Rail stations to easily commute to downtown or to the airport. Short cab ride or drive to South Beach. More affordable rents for newer units than South Beach. Easy access to I-95, 395, and 836 expressways.
Cons- Noise (nightlife, echoes off buildings, trains, ships blowing horns, helicopters, etc), Lots of bums and vagrants walking the streets (although this is improving over time), lack of affordable restaurants since everything is high end, lack of conventional shopping. You have to drive 30+ minutes any direction to reach a mall. There is a nice new Publix in Brickell though.

4. Fort Lauderdale Beach
Pros- Safety, nightlife, restaurants, convenience of being near beach, beautiful views, laid back, not much traffic during normal times other than bridges.
Cons- Expensive rents, the draw bridges frequently cause delays getting to/from the mainland, nightlife is limited compared to old days as the strip has seen better times, lots of tourists, frequent events such as marathons, boat shows, 4th of July fireworks, and Spring Break where the place is swamped with traffic, tourists, and they close roads and bridges down.

5. Hollywood-downtown
Pros- Centralized downtown area with a good number of local bars, pubs, and clubs. The area was depressed for a while but has been revitalized over the last 10 years. Lots of young people moving there. Rents are considerably cheaper than Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Architecture is a throw-back old Florida style. Hollywood Blvd in the downtown area kind of reminds me somewhat of Miracle Mile in Coral Gables.
Cons- Lots of bums, vagrants, sketchy people walking around the area. There is a methadone clinic somewhere nearby which is my guess why so many of these types are there. The neighborhood declines just north and west of the downtown section. Traffic in the area is very congested and parking is limited.

6. Aventura/Sunny Isles Beach
Pros- Safe and Clean, endless community of beautiful large condo buildings, close to beaches, largest shopping mall in FL called the Aventura Mall is right there, no bums and virtually no crime issues.
Cons- Expensive Rents, Lack of nightlife- outside of a few local bars, you have to drive to Miami Beach, Hollywood, or Fort Lauderdale for that. Older population, even though there are a good number of younger professional types. Traffic is very congested in the area especially on Ives Diary Rd getting to/from I-95.

7. Coral Gables
Pros- Clean and safe, large cluster of office and residential buildings, lots of smaller eateries, high end retail, and shopping nearby, lots of conveniences such as grocery stores, fitness centers, etc., cheaper rents than Brickell or South Beach, lots of beautifule architecture and tree-covered roadways.
Cons- Lack of diversity- over 75% of people living there are Hispanic, traffic is bad, drivers are bad, and nightlife there is limited to local pubs. There is nothing like South Beach nightlife there.

8. Coconut Grove
Pros- Cool area, good nightlife, good number of restaurants, nearby the water, short commute to Brickell and downtown Miami, close to shopping of all types, rents cheaper than Brickell, short drive to Key Biscayne beaches, and a somewhat urban feel.
Cons- Lack of parking, nightlife not as good as other areas, Brickell is giving Coconut Grove a run for its money in many areas, and a bad neighborhood being located just southwest of the area.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
"High cost of living" would apply to all safe/popular areas in South Florida. In terms of rent for 1/br, Miami Beach is NOT more expensive than the other areas you mentioned. In fact, you can get a decent 1-br with off street garage parking starting around $1100--try finding a place in Brickell for that price!

About Aventura: Village of Gulfstream Park is practically in walking distance, and Justins Aventura draws quite a crowd on the weekend--you don't "have" to go FLL or Miami Beach! Still, OP may not want to deal with the commute (build the FEC line!).

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 29,103 times
I moved here about a year ago from Denver. I was considering both Miami and Ft Lauderdale. I ended up chosing Miami and the Brickell area. There are really nice high rise condo's for rent. The Brickell area is walkable with Mary Brickell Village which has some bars and a Publix. Miami is not for everyone. It takes a certain mindset to live here. I've found it difficult to meet down to earth people here. Everyone seems to have their own circles. Moving from NC, Miami would be a total culture shock. It was for me. I'd recommend checking both out for yourself. Ft Lauderdale has less of the latin influence. I'm actually considering relocating to the Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM

140 posts, read 399,977 times
I worked on Brickell & hated it. Go for Ft Lauderdale.... it's not perfect but MUCH better

Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Brickell is great if you know other people there and have friends. If you are a new transplant and do not know anyone there, it can be a lonely place.

Fort Lauderdale is less like a big city and more like a giant suburbia with a small downtown. It is far less urbanized, but has many of the same positives of many like great beaches. There is also far less traffic and crime in Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area