U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM

613 posts, read 682,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
theredsnowman-

You are still not getting it. Home Invasions are a type of Burglary. Oakland Park ranks 2-3 times the national average in Burglaries. Every crime stat website I can find shows the same results. I just proved it to you. Now it is your turn to prove that Home Invasions ARE NOT a problem in Oakland Park.

Who said we are limiting the discussion to Home Invasions? You said that, not me. That is something you made up in your fantasy world where you are pretending to be some type of lawyer. I never said anything about arson or parking tickets. That is just a bunch of nonsense on your part. You are the one who is making a claim that Home Invasions ARE NOT a problem and accusing me of spreading paranoia. Care to prove your position?

The original subject matter was whether Twin Lakes in Oakland Park is a decent area or not. You are stuck on Home Invasions. Should we ignore Aggravated Assaults, Robberies, Burglaries, and Rapes because they do not apply under your criteria? I expanded the discussion to all major felony crimes which clearly show that Oakland Park is double or triple the national average in every crime except murder. You seem to relish in the fact that Detroit is much worse. So should someone move to an area of high crime because it is not as bad as Detroit?

Nolefan34,

I get it just fine, and I especially get that you have failed to prove anything unless you can tell me how many of those burglaries were home invasion burglaries. Maybe, you are suggesting that every burglary is actually a home invasion burglary, but have not provided any evidence that this is the case.

I said we are limiting the discussion to home invasion burglary, because that is what is under dispute, your claim that home invasion burglaries are a big problem in Oakland Park. We need to keep in mind that you wish to broaden the topic to include everything because you have no evidence to support your claim.

You are not called upon to prove a negative. You claimed home invasion burglaries were a big problem in Oakland Park, therefore you must prove your case, if you cannot prove your case you must withdraw your claim.

Again, I only mentioned Detroit because you mentioned Weston. Neither city has anything to do with Oakland Park. Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

I did not have to mention Detroit, I could have mentioned Oakland, Compton, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Saint Louis, East Saint Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Flint, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Buffalo, Orlando, Miami, ect.

To clarify, we (you and me) are not discussing whether people should live in Oakland Park or not, please stop trying to hide your lack of evidence by expanding the discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 17,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAS2011 View Post
I'm looking for a website that has good, detailed neighborhood information for Fort Lauderdale and Broward County. Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of properties which take pets (properties to purchase, not rent)? Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to post this again as this is what I started this thread about in the first place. Somehow my post has turned into a debate on Oakland Park.

Life is short...is it really necessary to beat that subject into the ground over who is right and who is wrong? Everyone is entitled to an opinion but for goodness sake...enough already.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 AM

92 posts, read 426,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It is no secret that Oakland park (west of Dixie Highway) ranges from mediocre to terrible and has some of the worst aesthetics in South Forida. However, Twin Lakes isn't really associated with the rest of Oakland Park, as it was it's own separate unincorporated neighborhood that was incorporated into the city limits of Oakland Park a few years ago. It has nothing at all to do with the rest of Oakland Park besides that. Point being, Twin Lakes is a decent neighborhood (in terms of safety AND aesthetics), surrounded by mediocre to decent areas.
I work in this area, right near Easterlin. It seems the south side of Prospect is a bit rougher than on the north side. The north side of Prospect is actually a very nice (looking) neighborhood. I would definitely not want to go west or south of here especially nothing toward BA or anywhere in Lauderdale Lakes.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,561,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaGuy View Post
I work in this area, right near Easterlin. It seems the south side of Prospect is a bit rougher than on the north side. The north side of Prospect is actually a very nice (looking) neighborhood. I would definitely not want to go west or south of here especially nothing toward BA or anywhere in Lauderdale Lakes.
Makes sense.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to post this again as this is what I started this thread about in the first place. Somehow my post has turned into a debate on Oakland Park.

Life is short...is it really necessary to beat that subject into the ground over who is right and who is wrong? Everyone is entitled to an opinion but for goodness sake...enough already.
What area of Broward County? The county is huge. It is a bit over an hours drive from the area that spans the southwestern fringes of Miramar to the northern most beach in Deerfield Beach.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 17,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What area of Broward County? The county is huge. It is a bit over an hours drive from the area that spans the southwestern fringes of Miramar to the northern most beach in Deerfield Beach.
Hi Compelled:
From what I'm hearing something east of I95. I coming out week after next to check it out.
Thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Compelled:
From what I'm hearing something east of I95. I coming out week after next to check it out.
Thanks.
It is still a bit too vast of an area to really recommend individual complexes. As far as neighborhood advice though, it goes like this: from south of Oakland Park Boulevard, anything a block or two east of US1 is fair game, while on the west side of US1 and east of I-95 should be avoided, exception parts of Wilton Manors. From the north side of Oakland Park Blvd, anything east of Dixie Highway is acceptable, while areas west to 95 are hit and miss, mostly miss.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:29 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Nolefan34,

I get it just fine, and I especially get that you have failed to prove anything unless you can tell me how many of those burglaries were home invasion burglaries. Maybe, you are suggesting that every burglary is actually a home invasion burglary, but have not provided any evidence that this is the case.

I said we are limiting the discussion to home invasion burglary, because that is what is under dispute, your claim that home invasion burglaries are a big problem in Oakland Park. We need to keep in mind that you wish to broaden the topic to include everything because you have no evidence to support your claim.

You are not called upon to prove a negative. You claimed home invasion burglaries were a big problem in Oakland Park, therefore you must prove your case, if you cannot prove your case you must withdraw your claim.

Again, I only mentioned Detroit because you mentioned Weston. Neither city has anything to do with Oakland Park. Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

I did not have to mention Detroit, I could have mentioned Oakland, Compton, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Saint Louis, East Saint Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Flint, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Buffalo, Orlando, Miami, ect.

To clarify, we (you and me) are not discussing whether people should live in Oakland Park or not, please stop trying to hide your lack of evidence by expanding the discussion.
theredsnowman-

What other types of burglaries do you think they're measuring? Toilet stalls? Oakland Park is 90% residential with very little commercial. But ok fine you win. There are no Home Invasions in Oakland Park. However, Aggravated Assaults, robberies, burglaries, and larceny are ALL 2-3 times the national average!

Home Invasions was NOT the original topic. You are the only person on here limiting the discussion to Home Invasions specifically which is really stupid and pointless and irrelevant to anything else being discussed on here just because you want to win an argument. The original discussion was whether or not a person should live here, which you just admitted in your last post. Is Home Invasions the only category one should consider when determining whether or not to live somewhere? Do Aggravated Assaults, Robberies, Burglaries, and Larceny not matter?

Weston is only relevant to the discussion because you originally thought I was talking about all of Broward County not just Oakland Park. I pointed out Weston to show you that there are other places in Broward County that are much safer than oakland park. Anyway, you sound like an immature child the way you argue and are stuck on one small bullet point that is pointless.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 11-06-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area