U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
 
35 posts, read 92,885 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me some insight on the Wilton Manors section of Ft Lauderdale. Is it a nice area? How far from the beach is it? What type of people live in that area? I have found several nice looking rentals in that area for around $1000-1200 so I am just checking to see if it is a safe area or if it is ghetto. We( me my fiance and our dog) will be moving to FL in March. We are going down next month to start looking at different areas and getting a feel for it. Just curious about Wilton Manors. Let me know.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Chesterfield,Virginia
4,919 posts, read 4,649,873 times
Reputation: 2652
Gay capital of the United States.

Fairly nice and quiet place if it's still like it was when I left.

Around 3 or 4 miles from oceanside IF you were to fly directly but more like 6 or 7 miles by auto depending on where in the Manors area.

Honestly, IF it's still the quaint, quiet little town that I left over 15 years ago .. You could do a LOT worse in the Broward County area!

I know, my wife was born in Wilton Manors and I was born in Lauderdale proper.

Good Luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
328 posts, read 1,345,829 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikPik View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me some insight on the Wilton Manors section of Ft Lauderdale. Is it a nice area? How far from the beach is it? What type of people live in that area? I have found several nice looking rentals in that area for around $1000-1200 so I am just checking to see if it is a safe area or if it is ghetto. We( me my fiance and our dog) will be moving to FL in March. We are going down next month to start looking at different areas and getting a feel for it. Just curious about Wilton Manors. Let me know.
Thanks!
I lived down the street from there until a few weeks ago, and it's a great area. Please make sure you are living EAST of Andrews Avenue. East of Andrews is very nice, West of Andrews is definitely more sketchy.

It's a very nice area but it's the most highly concentrated area of gay people in Florida (as a gay man, I can honestly attest to that). It would be similar to West Hollywood, CA, or Boystown in Chicago, or Chelsea in Manhattan. Very nice, quaint city, but a lot of gay people. Not sure where you are moving from, but it's a pretty liberal area and there are definitely rainbow flags down Wilton Drive, so make sure you are comfortable with that (I recognize that not everyone is).

It's a great place to live and I loved living in that area in Florida. Close to the beach and close to all of Fort Lauderdale. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: South Florida
314 posts, read 787,190 times
Reputation: 173
Very gay but so nice. I used to visit my friend and her boyfriend when they lived there...there's a bunch of gay clubs and bars we would go to to have a good time. I don't know if that would be ok with you're fiance, I hope he's liberal. I think Wilton Manors is a nice place to live, it's very quaint like the others say and really close to the beach. Rentals there are also affordable, my friend got a 2/1 for 720$ a month 1 year and a half ago! It was an awesome apartment, just the laundry facility was shared. I mean I guess Wilton Manors would be ideal for straight couples, the guy wouldnt worry if the girl is gonna be hit on and she wouldnt worry about that wandering eye from her guy! LOL..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
 
35 posts, read 92,885 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Very gay but so nice. I used to visit my friend and her boyfriend when they lived there...there's a bunch of gay clubs and bars we would go to to have a good time. I don't know if that would be ok with you're fiance, I hope he's liberal. I think Wilton Manors is a nice place to live, it's very quaint like the others say and really close to the beach. Rentals there are also affordable, my friend got a 2/1 for 720$ a month 1 year and a half ago! It was an awesome apartment, just the laundry facility was shared. I mean I guess Wilton Manors would be ideal for straight couples, the guy wouldnt worry if the girl is gonna be hit on and she wouldnt worry about that wandering eye from her guy! LOL..

Thanks for the info. I was finding that the area looks nice and its affordable. We dont mind if the area has a large gay population. We mainly care that it is clean and affordable. The location seems good for us to beable to get to the beach and different areas that have bars and clubs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
 
35 posts, read 92,885 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I lived down the street from there until a few weeks ago, and it's a great area. Please make sure you are living EAST of Andrews Avenue. East of Andrews is very nice, West of Andrews is definitely more sketchy.

It's a very nice area but it's the most highly concentrated area of gay people in Florida (as a gay man, I can honestly attest to that). It would be similar to West Hollywood, CA, or Boystown in Chicago, or Chelsea in Manhattan. Very nice, quaint city, but a lot of gay people. Not sure where you are moving from, but it's a pretty liberal area and there are definitely rainbow flags down Wilton Drive, so make sure you are comfortable with that (I recognize that not everyone is).

It's a great place to live and I loved living in that area in Florida. Close to the beach and close to all of Fort Lauderdale. Good luck!
East of Andrews ave! Got it. We are moving from NJ to Florida this comning spring. We go to florida every few months to explore around. We are going next month and will be visiting Wilton Manors and a couple other areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
 
35 posts, read 92,885 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks for the replies everyone! Ill be visiting the area next month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
 
Location: South Florida
314 posts, read 787,190 times
Reputation: 173
Yeah! No problem, if you want somewhere that is friendly, clean and affordable then it's Wilton Manors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
 
54 posts, read 139,817 times
Reputation: 23
Gay areas are always the best places to live. They tend to be progressive, artsy, safe, eclectic, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
 
5,359 posts, read 9,071,904 times
Reputation: 9754
you'll simply think it's faaaaaaabulous
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top