Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

Jen78fl-

I would not rule out jobs in Palm Beach. Do you know specifically where in South FL you will be living? From the city of Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach is about 50 minutes driving. If you live in a northern suburb of Fort Lauderdale, lets say Coral Springs or Pompano Beach, West Palm is only about 40 minutes driving. Traffic can be a factor too, but usually adds maybe 10-15 minutes to your commute.

If your new job pays good enough I would work in Palm Beach. Just make sure its good enough to offset the gas you will be guzzling driving back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
According to the Sun Sentinel things should be improving in 2012.

Forecast: More jobs, higher wages are coming to South Florida in 2012 - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM

They have been saying that for years. I will believe it when I see it. It is like how people have been saying since 2008 that the real estate market will improve. Yet nearly 4 years later, the real estate market has not improved at all. Just wishful thinking. Not based on anything factual or mathematical.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM

167 posts, read 876,996 times
Well this thread is pretty negative as I expected. lol Does anyone know what kind of jobs ARE actually hiring?? I know I probably just need to look outside of the admin/clerical field even though I know I am qualified for those types of jobs. Have been looking more at sales type jobs like what I have now , maybe just something that pays more than 8 an hour and offers good commission. The company where Im working now does not offer commission unless you sell a really unrealistic amount and then if its more than your hourly amount you take the commission instead so its not hourly plus commission. But its pretty easy because its just reading a script. I dont consider myself to be a great salesperson but I can do jobs where all I do is read a script.. I am even getting used to people getting annoyed and irritated with me calling. lol It doesnt really bother me all that much. Anyway I am open to any types of jobs pretty much so if anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know!! Ill be glad to hear ANY ideas!!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
what about selling cars? waitressing, cocktail waitress at a high end club or pending your age/appearance and mindset even "dancing". i know girls who dance 2 nights a week and make crazy money, all cash, just until they find something better.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Health Care is the only sector of the economy that is expanding. Every other sector is shrinking in South FL.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
OP: You sound like an administrative professional with good experience. The only thing I can think of is that for every job posted; there are TONS of people applying. Thus, the competition may be "stiff".

I've been doing TONS of research as I am potentially making a move to Florida. I came across this article for the South Florida area, so there is hope for many.

Forecast: More jobs, higher wages are coming to South Florida in 2012 - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Best and don't give up!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

92 posts, read 457,196 times
Jen78fl

It isn't easy for anybody, just hang in there. I'm working right now, but am looking for something else, and i've responded to thirty(?) ads (right off of company's websites) and i've gotten a call back on two. One told me off the bat that I would probably be better off at my job (lol) because they were only paying a little over half of what i'm getting for the same thing, and the other was actually FedEx which the hours were just zany (for my schedule at least). Keep looking and putting the word out, you are not alone my friend.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 AM

74 posts, read 295,202 times
The poster has a fiancee with kids- don't think it would be a good idea for her to strip!!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
what about selling cars? waitressing, cocktail waitress at a high end club or pending your age/appearance and mindset even "dancing". i know girls who dance 2 nights a week and make crazy money, all cash, just until they find something better.
Lmao, seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area