U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,900 times

Advertisements

We are in need of some help in determing where to live. I recently started a new job in the Doral, FL area. My family and I are temporarily living in a hotel, and have about a month to find an apartment to rent. We are not in a position to buy at this time, and want to pay about $1400 or less in rent. We have two girls, ages 8 and 12 (2nd grade and 6th grade), and schools and safety are TOP PRIORITY for us. We have never lived in such a large city area, and are concerned about trying to find some sort of "small town" feel, or as much as we can anyway. We are looking at Coral Springs as an option. How far is Coral Springs from Doral, Florida and does anyone know what the traffic is like along this route Monday-Friday? Also, does anyone know any good apartments that are safe and in an A rated school district? Having things close is good too (malls, schools, stores, etc) but safety and schools come first.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,854 times
Coral Springs is a great choice. You can easily find apartments for rent in that price range. The only problem is that Coral Springs is about 40 miles away from Doral and is at least a 50 minute drive with no traffic. Add in morning and afternoon rush hour and you are looking at easily over 1 hour of driving each direction. Also, the City of Doral is VERY congested and can take you 20 minutes to go 2 miles. So your commute will depend which part of Doral the office is located in. You would also be commuting from Coral Springs to Doral on the Sawgrass Expressway, I-75, and the Turnpike Extension. The traffic on those roads isn't as bad as other highways in South FL. The worst portion of that commute will be the I-75 stretch.

Don't worry about malls and stores. They are everywhere in South FL. You will typically have 10 grocery stores within 5 minutes driving, 2 in each direction. There are Walgreens and CVS drug stores on virtually every major corner here. Coral Springs has good schools. Other suburbs you should check out are Parkland, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Weston, and Davie. Cooper City and Parkland probably feel the most like a small town compared to the other suburbs.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

56 posts, read 119,472 times
There are two good apartments that I'm familiar with in Coral Springs that are within your price range.
There's The Preserve at Coral Square and Sherwood Forest.. I've lived in both and they're nice and in a safe area.
Sherwood Forest Apartments For Rent in Coral Springs, Florida - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
MAA - The Preserve at Coral Square

The second one is right across from the mall. I moved here when I was 14 so I don't know the schools they'd be zoned for until they get to high school, but if you live there while they enter high school they'd be zoned for J.P. Taravella which is one of the better high schools in the area.

There's also another good apartment complex in Parkland (very rich area) that might work for you, it's called The Winners Circle.
Winners Circle Luxury Apartments | Parkland, FL | 954-341-4232

I'm not familiar with this one, but the location isn't bad.
Atlantic Springs Condominiums Apartments in Coral Springs, FL | Apartments.com

Try also looking into Tamarac and Coconut Creek (Coconut Creek is a really great town, try looking for a place in the township that's off of Sample and Lyons).

BTW- You'd be about 40-60 minutes away from Doral depending on how the traffic is.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,563,339 times
I would probably suggest looking in Cooper City which has more of a small town feel and better schools, and is a bit closer to Doral. Finding rent for 1400 in that area should be relatively easy to do. Commute time would be about 25-35 minutes without traffic from this area, and depending on what section of Doral. If it is closer to the 826 rather than the Turnpike, it would be closer to an hour.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:33 AM

57 posts, read 86,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I would probably suggest looking in Cooper City which has more of a small town feel and better schools, and is a bit closer to Doral. Finding rent for 1400 in that area should be relatively easy to do. Commute time would be about 25-35 minutes without traffic from this area, and depending on what section of Doral. If it is closer to the 826 rather than the Turnpike, it would be closer to an hour.
I agree here! CS way too far!!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,900 times
Default Coral Springs from Doral, how about Pembroke Pines?

Thank you all so much for the help. We drove to Coral Springs yesterday and LOVED an apartment called "The Mirage". It was 1700 square feet, walking distance to A rate Elementary, Middle, and High Schools, but cost over $1600+ per month. We LOVED the feel of the area, sidewalks everywhere, and such a lovely place.

However, given the drive, we figure if we are going to pay that much, we should try and be closer to Doral, so we are going to look in Doral, and then Pembroke Pines and maybe Cooper City too.

I have heard Pembroke Pines had good and bad areas. Someone told me to stay west of Hiatus Road to be in the good part. Not sure how I feel about that. Any thoughts on Pembroke Pines?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM

You heard correctly on Pembroke Pines. The western half is generally much nicer and safer than the eastern half. Once you go too far east nearing Hollywood the area declines around the Turnpike and 441. Also, if you go too far southeast you border Miramar and Miami Gardens. Miami Gardens has the #1 highest crime rate in the U.S.

I would suggest looking in Pembroke Pines and Cooper City. I also would check out Weston and Southwest Ranches.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 AM

54 posts, read 130,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You heard correctly on Pembroke Pines. The western half is generally much nicer and safer than the eastern half. Once you go too far east nearing Hollywood the area declines around the Turnpike and 441. Also, if you go too far southeast you border Miramar and Miami Gardens. Miami Gardens has the #1 highest crime rate in the U.S.

I would suggest looking in Pembroke Pines and Cooper City. I also would check out Weston and Southwest Ranches.
I'm a little thrown by Cooper City. Supposedly it has better schools than Coral Springs; however, I've used Google Street View and the housing stock looks pitiful. The houses look so much nicer in Coral Springs. I would venture a guess that the income is higher in Coral Springs but usually higher income goes hand-in-hand with better schools. Odd.

Cooper City looks like more of the small town type of area I'm looking to avoid. I'd rather be around progressives, educated, traveled people. I'm in area full of simpletons right now on the other coast of Florida. I'm looking to avoid that on the east coast if I move over there. Do I have the wrong opinion of Cooper City?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM

There is no difference in education between people in Coral Springs and people in Cooper City. What you call "nicer" houses in Coral Springs are because they are all Med-style housing in gated communities. Cooper City has a lot of more traditional styles houses in open neighborhoods. I don't think it has to do with nicer homes, just a different style.

As far as a progressive/liberal area, neither Coral Springs or Cooper City are very liberal/progressive. You have to live further east in areas like Victoria Park, Wilton Manors, or Hollywood to get a Liberal/progressive feel.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybesefl View Post

Cooper City looks like more of the small town type of area I'm looking to avoid. I'd rather be around progressives, educated, traveled people. I'm in area full of simpletons right now on the other coast of Florida. I'm looking to avoid that on the east coast if I move over there. Do I have the wrong opinion of Cooper City?
I think you do have the wrong impression of it, but in that case I would try looking at Weston. Doral itself is also beyond decent in many areas, but Spanish fluency is almost a requirement and definitely helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area