U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

66 posts, read 162,313 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we have been in S. FL. for a year now. When we bought our house it was a fast move and my husband looked at the property once at dusk. He noticed the fence would need some repair and the owner told him as well. What we didn't realize is that the reason we need to repair is b/c our neighbors roots if their overgrown vegetation between their screened in area and the property line. There is really no way to get to it w/o coming from our yard.

Last year we introduced ourselves and explained that it need to be be cut back or out. He quickly hired someone to work on it. We came home one weekend and it was thinned out greatly but did not solved the issue. Fast forward a year later and we are now ready to tackle this project even of we need to pay for the cutting and fence. So who is responsible? I know FL has some different rules regarding vegetation that is on the property line.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:43 AM

925 posts, read 1,534,756 times
Did you have a survey done when you purchased it? If not, you should get one to be sure. Is the fence on your property? Are the bushes?

You are allowed to trim back branches and roots to the property line, even if it kills the plant. You cannot enter his property without permission to do so. You cannot apply Kills All on your side and claims oops, it accidently killed your hedge. Spreading chemicals on your lawn that could drift or float and kill vegetation on his property is actionable.

He sounds like a reasonable person so far. Approach him and tell him you plan to do the work and see if he'd like to take the opportunity while the fence is down to trim back the plants and get the problem under control once and for all.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,020,962 times
Well said Dragonmam! Exactly what I thought while reading the OP's post.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM

16,208 posts, read 23,586,474 times
I think it is on you now. Your neighbor thinned it out last year....you didn't do the job then. Your turn....Check w your neighbor first, and pay for the work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhighlander View Post
Ok, so we have been in S. FL. for a year now. When we bought our house it was a fast move and my husband looked at the property once at dusk. He noticed the fence would need some repair and the owner told him as well. What we didn't realize is that the reason we need to repair is b/c our neighbors roots if their overgrown vegetation between their screened in area and the property line. There is really no way to get to it w/o coming from our yard.

Last year we introduced ourselves and explained that it need to be be cut back or out. He quickly hired someone to work on it. We came home one weekend and it was thinned out greatly but did not solved the issue. Fast forward a year later and we are now ready to tackle this project even of we need to pay for the cutting and fence. So who is responsible? I know FL has some different rules regarding vegetation that is on the property line.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Update...the neighbor helped us trim back the one specific trunk that was knocking over our fence this summer. While he was in our yard he was able to see that their fence is broken in another place due to another tree trunk. His wife was like wow we should do something with that...he said well I can't do anything about it now! I was hoping once they saw how their trees and roots are coming over to our side and their fence is broken they might do something but NO!

The houses are really close together and the tree parts that are on our side are very high up and I can't get equipment in this small of a space. I called the association and they said I have to talk to the neighbor which I have done twice since living here. So, the I called code enforcement...also we have seen rats on that side of the house and a raccoon was coming out from there the other day.

I hated to do it but I feel the need to protect my property and obviously he didn't care so hopefully something will be done. I know the overgrown vegetation and broken fence should be enough...we'll see. I know I didn't make any new friends but I need to protect my property.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM

157 posts, read 310,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhighlander View Post
So, the I called code enforcement...
Uh-oh...now you did it.

One killed, one wounded at Kentucky HOA meeting - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM

I'll take my chances...thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,001 times
This happens all the time here. I see it a lot Moderator cut: snip and it amazes me how much people neglect things like this. You did the right thing, but if it gets worse it might be a good idea to contact the homeowners association if you have one.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 03-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal promotion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area