U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 36,775 times

Advertisements

I would love an opinion on the best family neighborhood in Weston, FL. I have read many threads about the neighborhoods and public schools. Can you confirm what I think is the bottom line? The place to be with the best public schools (Everglades Everglades, Falcon Cove Middle, Cypress Bay High) and homes under $300,000-600,000 is the 33331 zip code?

I based my school information off numerous websites of test scores and parent reviews. Time and time again, it comes back to those three schools. Am I close?

I have two elementary school age daughters. Right now we are in an affordable private school on the west coast of FL, a job transfer will take us to Weston where the closest private school costs much more than what we can afford. I want a safe, caring public schools that does more than teach to the FCAT. Because we will be moving in mid June, I doubt we could get a spot for two children in the charter school.

From what I can tell, I have the following neighborhoods to choose from:
-Oak Ridge
-The Ridges
-Emerald Courts
-Sapphire Point

They seem to vary quite a bit in price. Am I correct in thinking that the neighborhoods have sections within them that are at different price points? Is there one to stay away from (more run down, unkept?)? Any other suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,743,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagabby View Post
I would love an opinion on the best family neighborhood in Weston, FL. I have read many threads about the neighborhoods and public schools. Can you confirm what I think is the bottom line? The place to be with the best public schools (Everglades Everglades, Falcon Cove Middle, Cypress Bay High) and homes under $300,000-600,000 is the 33331 zip code?

I based my school information off numerous websites of test scores and parent reviews. Time and time again, it comes back to those three schools. Am I close?

I have two elementary school age daughters. Right now we are in an affordable private school on the west coast of FL, a job transfer will take us to Weston where the closest private school costs much more than what we can afford. I want a safe, caring public schools that does more than teach to the FCAT. Because we will be moving in mid June, I doubt we could get a spot for two children in the charter school.

From what I can tell, I have the following neighborhoods to choose from:
-Oak Ridge
-The Ridges
-Emerald Courts
-Sapphire Point

They seem to vary quite a bit in price. Am I correct in thinking that the neighborhoods have sections within them that are at different price points? Is there one to stay away from (more run down, unkept?)? Any other suggestions?
Weston is nice. There are no bad neighborhoods. Distinctions between the elementary/middle schools are small. They all have good test scores. They are all safe. They all teach to the FCAT. Some of Weston is zoned for Western HS. I would strongly prefer Cypress Bay to Western.

You cannot shop by zip code. If you find a home you like go here and put in the address: School Locator

This will tell you the schools that the home is zoned to attend. Do not rely on realtors or listings. They are frequently wrong as things change often in Broward County.

There are no terrible areas in Weston. It is all nice. Find a house you like in a neighborhood with acceptable schools (none of them are really good) and be happy there!

Good luck.

Edited to add: I lived in Weston for 10 years and I am currently in Plantation. Weston is nice.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,211,572 times
I know these go to Manatee Bay Elementary, Falcon Cove Middle, and Cypress Bay High:

Actually I think some 33327 residents go to Gator Run Elementary. All Elementary schools are very good.

All Weston schools in general are good.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 52,718 times
bellagaby

All public schools in Weston, Fl are A's so that is definetely a benefit of living in this gorgeous city. All neighborhoods are different with a wide range of prices but you need to be aware that some of them are located beyond the Cypress Bay High School bounderies and kids in those particular areas must attend Western High School, which is not in Weston. Be sure you ask your licensed Realtor(r) to provide more information on specific neighborhoods or visit www.westonfl.org

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Advertising x 8

Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,085,181 times
I just checked my address and it is zoned Cypress Bay -- the zip is 33326 which is a bit to the west. As others have said, key in on the type of home you are looking for -- 3 or 4 (or 5?) bedroom, single or double story, large lot or small, and then once you focus on the main features important to you, you can then key in by school with the school locator search engine. And also, as it's been mentioned, these school boundaries aren't etched in granite -- boundaries are reviewed by the school board -- I believe it is done each year.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
Has anyone heard certain neighborhoods in Weston that currently attend Cypress Bay HS, may be re-zoned to Western HS?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM

191 posts, read 292,158 times
Nope. You can check the boundary changes under consideration on the school board website.

There was a proposal made to move students in the Tequesta neighborhood back to Cypress Bay from Western, but it was not adopted.

Students from Tequesta were moved to Western around 2010 when Cypress Bay was overcrowded, and Western was underpopulated.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 25,332 times
A small older part of Weston goes to Western high.
the majority go to CB.

Keep in mind that CB has 4500 students.
I prefer FC middle since I have a 9 and 7 grader. They r right next to each other.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 25,332 times
I would choose the Ridges. It's beautiful and right across from both schools and public library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area