Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,576 times

Advertisements

I have my inspection tomorrow - I almost feel like blowing it off, since I know they are going to take away any credits I might have. Why should I leave work early and have them traipse around my house for an hour? Grrrr. So frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
citizens took away my shutter credits too so since im paying like my house has no shutters i removed the shutters from my house

Old 09-01-2012, 07:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Florida used to have a nice web site that listed all the insurance carriers in the state, along with their rates.

Rick Scott got rid of this web site.

It was gone shortly after he was elected. When the press reported on the subject, Rick Scott said he simply transferred the responsibility for the web site to a different department and it was temporarily unavailable. He said everything was verbal, no emails or anything in writing about the transfer or the new directives about the web site.

It's been over a year, and the web site never came back on line. Rick Scott got rid of it, and lied about it. It was a nice comparison shopping site for folks to use. I guess the insurance lobby didn't want folks comparing prices.

Also, this year, a state agency did a cost analysis on Citizens and their ability to pay claims if huge storms hit the state. the study found that Citizens has tons of money in reserves and there is no reason to cancel policies or raise rates, like Rick Scott has been pushing for. Guess what, that study/web site disappeared very quicky. It was paid for with state funds, but Rick Scott is in charge so he made them take down these facts. He wants to raise rates and the facts that show it isn't necessary go against the lies he spews.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 AM

56 posts, read 125,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Florida used to have a nice web site that listed all the insurance carriers in the state, along with their rates.

Rick Scott got rid of this web site.

It was gone shortly after he was elected. When the press reported on the subject, Rick Scott said he simply transferred the responsibility for the web site to a different department and it was temporarily unavailable. He said everything was verbal, no emails or anything in writing about the transfer or the new directives about the web site.

It's been over a year, and the web site never came back on line. Rick Scott got rid of it, and lied about it. It was a nice comparison shopping site for folks to use. I guess the insurance lobby didn't want folks comparing prices.

Also, this year, a state agency did a cost analysis on Citizens and their ability to pay claims if huge storms hit the state. the study found that Citizens has tons of money in reserves and there is no reason to cancel policies or raise rates, like Rick Scott has been pushing for. Guess what, that study/web site disappeared very quicky. It was paid for with state funds, but Rick Scott is in charge so he made them take down these facts. He wants to raise rates and the facts that show it isn't necessary go against the lies he spews.
You must understand, Rick Scott is a typical racist businessperson, who became rich through fraud and beating people who are unable to defend themselves, so his main goal is to steal money from the middle class and poor and transfer it to his wealthy friends. Mitt and Paul want to do the same thing but on a federal level and quite a bit more extreme, so I hope the population of Florida remains sober enough to remember how Rick Scott is doing them and not vote for Mitt and Paul.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
We already voted ... with our feet. Bye bye high insurance in Florida now no mortgage and when the insurance company up here tried to up rates beyond what was reasonable, we said bye bye to them too. It wasn't just insurance. When WIlma came through I watched the hoops and flaming hoops our neighbors had to jump through trying to find contractors, getting inspections, and getting proper payment from the insurance companies. In typical insurance company form, the ratepayer would be given a lowball offer for settlement and have to resort to a public adjustor. In the meantime, repairs were on hold, making some live like their homes were million dollar shantytown homes. The potential of such scenarios, the high cost of insurance and property taxes, and a host of other issues made us look to live elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
I was just inspected by Citizens. I just replaced 99% of the windows and doors in my house ($30,000) with certified impact hurricane proof ones from FHA Company. I did not replace the solid wood front door with a small arch window on the top. The Inspector came and was nice, but he hinted that what I did was not going to be enough.

I have a Steel Hurricane shutter to cover the front door but then he quizzed me on the certificate for that which we could not find.

I just got a letter from Citizens where they are going to raise my rates $1000 for next renewable period. I will now go from $4000 to $5000 per year for Citizens on a $250K home. The letter said the reason was because I did not have a HIP roof ( something about the joist spacings were too wide in the attic), and no certificate for the single storm door shutter.

Could this be for real?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 11,059 times
Default Lost My Discount from Citizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmed View Post
I have my inspection tomorrow - I almost feel like blowing it off, since I know they are going to take away any credits I might have. Why should I leave work early and have them traipse around my house for an hour? Grrrr. So frustrating!
My experience after re-inspection w citizens was not good..he said my shutters were not dade county approved, so I lost my wind mitigation discount. My agent said it is a "all or nothing" deal, if anything fails you lose it all. But, my rates only increased by $200 He also suggested I stay w Citizens because the rate is still good...about $2000 for a 2000 sq ft house.

And you must have a new style "approved" garage door also...no add on bracing on old door meets code now.....or cover the whole thing w panels

Anyone have ways of getting older panels approved? These things are VERY thick but don't have the approval stamped on them, I do know the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area