Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 AM

73 posts, read 264,442 times

Advertisements

Hey all....I've posted on here before and I'm in need of some more of your wisdom and guidance.

We moved to FL from Long Island a few months ago for my husband's job and I hate where we live.

Our lease doesn't end until October but I am so scared here and I don't know what else to so.

We live in a condo development called Visconti and it is so bad here. Here are a few things that I've personally have see happen:

1. My daughter decided that she wanted to pick up some trash around the pool area and found a knife. She didn't touch it, got freaked out and ran away. She told me about it the next day. I asked her what did it look like (one that looked like a butter knife, one that cuts meat?) She said no. It was pointy and didn't have the dents on the side (ie not serrated). I couldn't find it.

2. We were walking our dogs and on the side of our building there was a marijuana pipe with marijuana still in it on an electrical box.

3. Again while walking the dogs, I saw 3 men smoking marijuana by the pool and about 20 feet away from the tot lot park.

4. A little girl got angry with another little girl (age 5), went to her house and brought out a knife. She tried to stab the other little girl.

5. I was bringing my son (age 7) and my nephew (age 4) to the tot lot and found a used condom and pill bottle at the entrance.

6. I was walking up my stairs and found an alcohol prep pad and a napkin full of blood at the bottom of the staircase.

I called the management office regarding the blood, the guys smoking and the condom/pill bottle. The police had to come regarding the girl with the knife (along with a social worker). I didn't alert the office regarding the knife or pipe (although I did tell the landlord).

My question is (after all of this babble)....we want OUT!!!! Will this be enough to get me out of my lease with no problems? It does state that there is an early termination fee of $2500 and possibility of going after us for the remainder of the rent. We have already invested $4800 to get into it. We don't want to be on the hook for the remainder of the rent but I am scared out of my mind and don't want my children outside anymore. I have sent my landlord pictures of the condom/pill bottle and the blood napkin but haven't told him that we want to move. Any help from you is very appreciated. Thanks so much everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM

328 posts, read 1,393,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgennaro View Post
Hey all....I've posted on here before and I'm in need of some more of your wisdom and guidance.

We moved to FL from Long Island a few months ago for my husband's job and I hate where we live.

Our lease doesn't end until October but I am so scared here and I don't know what else to so.

We live in a condo development called Visconti and it is so bad here. Here are a few things that I've personally have see happen:

1. My daughter decided that she wanted to pick up some trash around the pool area and found a knife. She didn't touch it, got freaked out and ran away. She told me about it the next day. I asked her what did it look like (one that looked like a butter knife, one that cuts meat?) She said no. It was pointy and didn't have the dents on the side (ie not serrated). I couldn't find it.

2. We were walking our dogs and on the side of our building there was a marijuana pipe with marijuana still in it on an electrical box.

3. Again while walking the dogs, I saw 3 men smoking marijuana by the pool and about 20 feet away from the tot lot park.

4. A little girl got angry with another little girl (age 5), went to her house and brought out a knife. She tried to stab the other little girl.

5. I was bringing my son (age 7) and my nephew (age 4) to the tot lot and found a used condom and pill bottle at the entrance.

6. I was walking up my stairs and found an alcohol prep pad and a napkin full of blood at the bottom of the staircase.

I called the management office regarding the blood, the guys smoking and the condom/pill bottle. The police had to come regarding the girl with the knife (along with a social worker). I didn't alert the office regarding the knife or pipe (although I did tell the landlord).

My question is (after all of this babble)....we want OUT!!!! Will this be enough to get me out of my lease with no problems? It does state that there is an early termination fee of $2500 and possibility of going after us for the remainder of the rent. We have already invested $4800 to get into it. We don't want to be on the hook for the remainder of the rent but I am scared out of my mind and don't want my children outside anymore. I have sent my landlord pictures of the condom/pill bottle and the blood napkin but haven't told him that we want to move. Any help from you is very appreciated. Thanks so much everyone.
1st - Did you call the police about finding the drug paraphanelia? or about the guys doing drugs there that you saw? If you don't call the police, nothing will be done about it. You need to take action!

2nd - According to the internet, the "Visconti" complex is on Atlantic Boulevard in Coral Springs. Are you telling us that all of these things and "open area drug use" are occurring in Coral Springs?

I would recommend you contact a lawyer. Laws regarding lease termination vary state by state, so you should definitely speak to someone who is very familiar with Florida Law regarding lease termination.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM

I didn't call the police about the pipe (I made my husband throw it out before my children saw it - he used the dog poop bag so he didn't have to touch it). I didn't call the police about the guys smoking but I immediately called the front office. The woman apologized and said she'd send someone but by the time someone did, they were already gone...it was over an hour.

You are correct about the location. Yes there is open drug use in Coral Springs - I've witnessed it with my own eyes. I am normally not a scared little wuss but when it comes to my children and their safety, I am petrified.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,771,600 times
Start calling the police when you see people using drugs in the open, front office does no good they only care about people paying their rent.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

I alerted the landlord today regarding lease termination. There was an incident today that finally broke the preverbial camel's back. My 7 year old son was walking home from the bus today (I was watching from the terrace and some kid (older) hit him in the back of the head with a tree branch. He came running (I went to go down) and I heard someone yell, "That's because you're white!" I tried to play it down to my son because he can be very sensitive. He didn't hear what the kid said but I did! My main concern was to make sure my son was OK...he was. We've never had to deal with this.

We have yet to hear from the landlord but I was wondering if anyone had any info about legal action if need be. I don't think we're going to see any of the money back that we put into getting in here but I am so afraid that we'd be on the hook for the $2500 and the rest of the lease. Money is tight and really can't go towards an attorney. Any help would be so appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area