U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale
23 posts, read 37,982 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Yes, I guess I am "prejudging" gays for being community minded, non violent as far as crime rates go and taking care of their homes. I don't think it is a horrible opinion to express and I am happy to entertain a conversation with anyone who is gay and insulted by that opinion. That has been my experience in living in neighborhoods favored by gays. It is a community that has tended to regentrify an area. There is actually a study done by CEO's for Cities that follows the price values and tipping of neighborhoods that are favored by gays. They also did another one about artistic professionals tipping neighborhoods. Values go up. marginal neighborhoods are tipped, crime rates drop. I am deeply involved with the gay community given the work I do and the fact that many of my friends and my brother are part of it. I stand by my opinion. Because that is what it it, just my opinion. And suggesting that I am tacitly prejudging anyone else (which is actually a group I am part of given that I am not gay) is a spurious accusation. Because I have an opinion about gay-friendly neighborhoods does not mean I have the opposite opinion about every other neighborhood. That is like saying someone hates vanilla because they say the love chocolate....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 682,301 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkygirl View Post
Yes, I guess I am "prejudging" gays for being community minded, non violent as far as crime rates go and taking care of their homes. I don't think it is a horrible opinion to express and I am happy to entertain a conversation with anyone who is gay and insulted by that opinion. That has been my experience in living in neighborhoods favored by gays. It is a community that has tended to regentrify an area. There is actually a study done by CEO's for Cities that follows the price values and tipping of neighborhoods that are favored by gays. They also did another one about artistic professionals tipping neighborhoods. Values go up. marginal neighborhoods are tipped, crime rates drop. I am deeply involved with the gay community given the work I do and the fact that many of my friends and my brother are part of it. I stand by my opinion. Because that is what it it, just my opinion. And suggesting that I am tacitly prejudging anyone else (which is actually a group I am part of given that I am not gay) is a spurious accusation. Because I have an opinion about gay-friendly neighborhoods does not mean I have the opposite opinion about every other neighborhood. That is like saying someone hates vanilla because they say the love chocolate....
Most people in the world are non-violent, community minded, and take care of their homes if they have the cash to do so. Gay people are the same as Bob Smith the auto mechanic, yo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale
23 posts, read 37,982 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Most people in the world are non-violent, community minded, and take care of their homes if they have the cash to do so. Gay people are the same as Bob Smith the auto mechanic, yo
I am thrilled to hear you say so. Perhaps you can spread the word to those in town that told me that moving in to a particular neighborhood that was gay friendly was bad for my family?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
 
205 posts, read 434,639 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallis1295 View Post
Hi, I am a native Texan in Fort Worth working for FedEx. I just got a job in Fort Lauderdale and trying to find out all the pros and cons of moving there. I have not accepted the job yet until I get some more information. I have heard the cost of living is much higher. My wife, who is in education, a librarian for an elementary school has expressed some concern about the market down there. We are mixed because I am stoked about the opportunity but concerned that if we get there without a job for my wife it will put us in a worse financial situation than I am already in. I have been out of job for almost a year so this is a great opportunity but to move there and her not have a job doesn't help us.

Any thoughts?

I am optimistically hoping for lots of good replies.
We just moved to Dallas from Fort lauderdale. Dallas def is cheaper to live.!! Schools and housing are so much better. You cant even compare the housing , what you get here in the North Texas area is so much more for your money. The school system in Tx is so much better. Thats one of the reasons why we moved out of the area. You have to be careful what area you pick. Really do your research especially with the public schools. However I personally think Texas is boring at least where we are. In Fort lauderdale the weather is so much better, more outdoor activities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
 
10 posts, read 44,214 times
Reputation: 12
So glad to find someone that has lived there that moved to Texas recently. What area did you move to in Texas? Can you suggest places either to look at in Fort Lauderdale or to stay away from?

Thank you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
 
205 posts, read 434,639 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallis1295 View Post
So glad to find someone that has lived there that moved to Texas recently. What area did you move to in Texas? Can you suggest places either to look at in Fort Lauderdale or to stay away from?

Thank you...

We live in North Texas near Frisco area been here since Oct. Not liking the weather and seems not much to do here so and want to move back. If you love to do outdoor things you will love South Florida, there is so much fun stuff to do with crabs. A place to check out is exchange club park, its a littler area off the intercoastal in lighthouse point. Kids love to go there snorkle, catch hermit crabs.

As far as housing/schools goes the best thing is to look soley where the good schools are. Ft. lauderdale area is a bit different its not like TX where you have suburbs of cookie cutter houses everywhere, you will find a lot of older smaller homes less you can afford 300,000+ then its a diff story. Also the ghetto isnt seperated to one area on one side of town like in most areas, its kinda of mixed in down there. Its not like here where the kids kind of grow up in a neighborhood and go to the same school together til high school. There you may have your neighborhood friends then school friends. Alot of kids go to so many different schools due to reassignment, charter, magnet, and private schools.
I personally would look into Coral Springs, Parkland, West Boca, Weston, Cooper City, P.Pines. Houses that are zoned to Ramblewood elem, Ramblewood Middle. Stoneman Douglas in Parkland. West Boca High, addison mitzer elem, loggers run middle, Spanish river middle, lyons creek elem and middle.
verder elem. I lived in north broward so I know more about Coral Springs, Coconut creek, Pompano beach Light house point. I have friends who live in west P.Pines (west of the 75) are all happy with the schools over there. Same with Cooper city. If we mved back we would go to West Boca or Coral springs because of the schools.

YOur wife might have a hard time with gettin a job at a school, I have two friends who graduated and cant find any teaching jobs, I have several moms who where stay at home moms who are substitute teachers now and they say its hard to get into because of budget cuts but thats with broward county.

I would avoid east like F. lauderdale, Pompano Beach. Pretty much anything west of 95 all the way up to state rd 7 I would avoid. You'll have to look at a map of broward to see what Im talking about, in between there the areas arent so great, run down pretty ghetto.

My advice is to buy /rent in a neighborhood where the schools are good, we lived east and with kids it was so stressful applying for schools getting rejected and trying to reassign to other schools wondering where the kids are going to go next. I personally do not think the education system is as good as texas you will probably find your kids to be ahead. I know my kids where behind coming here and now they where they are suppose to but the education is just so much better here.

I think its worth a shot to take a leap of faith and see how you like South Florida, you can always come back to Texas. Thats what we did moving here. Just make sure you do your research with schools cause its a whole another world there.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Warminster, PA soon to be in SC, then to FL
104 posts, read 113,562 times
Reputation: 36
Default Gay area should be low crime...

My household just started researching F.L. as a place to retire to, more like escape to from freezing cold, no-hope-of-decent-mass-transit Philadelphia. I was telling my mom that a gay area would probably be very safe. She agreed. 0We watched Asbury Park, NJ come up from a virtual ghetto to a beautiful area with $500,00+ condos. The town is known to be gay, especially now. I do believe gays are generally higher income, peaceful and quiet. (None of my household is gay, btw.) I don't know about bohemians though. Makes me think of art and I don't associate arty people with being criminals. Maybe someone here can shed light on crime in a bohemian area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkygirl View Post
The financial situation is not an issue for us thank goodness as my husband is an executive and his role is very stable. But I do think that if a good neighorhood has a bad school, it stops attracting families with children who cannot afford private, or those families move away and then you are shelling out the long term residents that grow with with the neighborhood and sustain its vibrancy. (A great documentary showing this phenomenon is Waiting For Superman) We can afford private but it rubs me the wrong way to pay high property taxes and then pay tuition too. We did it in Pittsburgh but only after trying the best public school in the district....yikes is all I have to stay. We had a great neighorhood but the public school situation chased people in to the 'burbs to the extent that fewer families moved in to the city, neighborhoods couldn't grow, there was a marked aging of the population....they have actually started a program where if you live in the city and go to public schools you can get $40000 for tuition to state colleges to encourage people with families to stay in the city and not go private.

We have spoken to many people who live there and some of their opinions have been helpful but not all. Like being told that Victoria Park is bad because gays live there or its "too bohemian"....that doesn't reflect what we are looking for or our community philosophy and I think is based on prejudice that we do not want to foster in our children at all. Given the chance I would live in a neighborhood favored by gays...generally they take care of their homes, aren't throwing wild parties, committing violent crimes etc.....so I believe in doing my own research and spending a lot of time just walking around and getting a feel for a place and what day to day life would be. Locals can have great perspectives but they can also carry some deep seated views that aren't really reflective of what I am looking for in a day to day life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
 
36 posts, read 93,799 times
Reputation: 49
Default From one Texan to another.

Howdy. I completed my undergrad/grad degrees in Houston. Lived in both Houston and Austin before moving to South Florida. I came here specifically for a job I really wanted and am already in the process of transferring out of here.

In my opinion, if you don't have a very strong compelling reason to move here, don't. The following is my reasoning - forgive me for any over-generalizations.

1. The Florida economy is not as strong as Texas and jobs are scarce unless you have specialized skills.
2. Education is not as good as Texas, particularly advanced.
3. You don't know who is a visiting and who lives here - creates a culture of rudeness and people that don't give a damn about you when you're out and about. You will be shocked by this as a Texan.
4. The best places to live are closest to the ocean and your dollar won't go far there - in addition, you will be stunned by high property taxes and homeowners insurance costs compared to Fort Worth. Also, you probably won't get the same house here you can get in Fort Worth.
5. A friend of mine served in Afghanistan. He stated "there are areas here that remind him of Afghanistan." You will find extremes in poverty and wealth, side by side.
6. Poor urban planning and zoning. Timed stop lights? Yeah right.
7. Culturally diverse and most think their culture is the "only way" - results in tensions.
8. I drive my truck, not my car, down I-95 for safety reasons. NOTHING in Texas compares to this driving experience. No car inspections. Minimal traffic enforcement. You will see cars with no bumpers, shocks, half flat tires flying along at 90mph. Frequently.
9. The ocean is amazing but not enough to justify 1-8.

To sum up. Great place to visit but not a place to hang your hat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
 
36 posts, read 93,799 times
Reputation: 49
Default ...one other thought.

As a gay guy in Wilton Manors, we love our straight friends who live among us and comment " we moved there because the gays take pride in their community." Thank you and welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
 
Location: south florida
21 posts, read 61,240 times
Reputation: 14
Default native s. floridian here 32 years have been in Dallas for 5 years

Please don't go to south Fl it's horrible! BTW I was a cop in Ft. Laud.
1. culture shock (people will steal a dead man's wallet from a car accident)
2. see #1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top