Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM

10 posts, read 45,401 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a native Texan in Fort Worth working for FedEx. I just got a job in Fort Lauderdale and trying to find out all the pros and cons of moving there. I have not accepted the job yet until I get some more information. I have heard the cost of living is much higher. My wife, who is in education, a librarian for an elementary school has expressed some concern about the market down there. We are mixed because I am stoked about the opportunity but concerned that if we get there without a job for my wife it will put us in a worse financial situation than I am already in. I have been out of job for almost a year so this is a great opportunity but to move there and her not have a job doesn't help us.

Any thoughts?

I am optimistically hoping for lots of good replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Fort Lauderdale is a great area if you enjoy living near the beach, having warm/hot weather nearly all year around, and like having lots of entertainment options in terms of nightlife, shopping, and restaurants. It is wedged in between Miami and Palm Beach, and the Keys are only 2-3 hours away and Orlando is about 3 hours away.

I am not familiar with the cost of living in Fort Worth or Dallas, but the cost of living here will be as expensive as you will find in the Southeastern states. The biggest differences in expenses here will be housing prices, food, the cost of car insurance, flood insurance, and property taxes are outrageous. South FL has the most expensive car insurance anywhere except NYC or California.

Housing costs here vary greatly depending on which city or suburb you live in. The city of Fort Lauderdale is very expensive, but you can live in nearby suburbs for a significantly lower cost.

As far as your job, it sounds like a tradeoff since you will have a job here, but your wife will lose her job. Will your income at this new job be higher than what your wife earns at her current job?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
If you are happy in Texas, and have stable jobs I would not move to Fort Lauderdale. Cost of living is high, and compared to Fort Worth, you would have a bit of culture shock.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM

66 posts, read 169,808 times
In my experience, we moved here last year and I am an experienced special ed. teacher with 12 years in a Maryland Public School System...it will be hard. Broward County laid off 1500 teachers last year. Everyone with less than 3 years...gone. Even if they do get hired back tenure is a thing of the past in FL. I have gotten a job in a private school the pay is half of what I made in MD and no other perks to speak of...it is bad for teachers here. Could she get a job?...Yes. I sent out 2 resumes before I was hired but the conditions for teachers here are bad. Luckily my husbands job was worth the move but it is less than ideal for me and my career but we are making it work. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Fort Lauderdale is a great area if you enjoy living near the beach, having warm/hot weather nearly all year around, and like having lots of entertainment options in terms of nightlife, shopping, and restaurants. It is wedged in between Miami and Palm Beach, and the Keys are only 2-3 hours away and Orlando is about 3 hours away.

I am not familiar with the cost of living in Fort Worth or Dallas, but the cost of living here will be as expensive as you will find in the Southeastern states. The biggest differences in expenses here will be housing prices, food, the cost of car insurance, flood insurance, and property taxes are outrageous. South FL has the most expensive car insurance anywhere except NYC or California.

Housing costs here vary greatly depending on which city or suburb you live in. The city of Fort Lauderdale is very expensive, but you can live in nearby suburbs for a significantly lower cost.

As far as your job, it sounds like a tradeoff since you will have a job here, but your wife will lose her job. Will your income at this new job be higher than what your wife earns at her current job?
My salary would be about the same as she is making here. With the cost of living being hire there it would not make sense to move there with only my job. I would probably move there just myself and try to get her a job until we move her and my son out. This is going to be a hard decision.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallis1295 View Post
My salary would be about the same as she is making here. With the cost of living being hire there it would not make sense to move there with only my job. I would probably move there just myself and try to get her a job until we move her and my son out. This is going to be a hard decision.
It sounds like a lateral move. I wouldn't do it unless you really want to move here.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhighlander View Post
In my experience, we moved here last year and I am an experienced special ed. teacher with 12 years in a Maryland Public School System...it will be hard. Broward County laid off 1500 teachers last year. Everyone with less than 3 years...gone. Even if they do get hired back tenure is a thing of the past in FL. I have gotten a job in a private school the pay is half of what I made in MD and no other perks to speak of...it is bad for teachers here. Could she get a job?...Yes. I sent out 2 resumes before I was hired but the conditions for teachers here are bad. Luckily my husbands job was worth the move but it is less than ideal for me and my career but we are making it work. Good luck!
Thank you for your comments. Since you are a teacher, I understand if you look to move from state to state that you have to apply for certification. Were you able to transfer your certification or did you have to pay out of pocket to get certified in Florida? Also did you to take some sort of test to get certified as well?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM

258 posts, read 614,774 times
I friend recently purchased a very small 1/1 500 sq ft -/+ near Las Olas Blvd. He paid about $165k. 1950s building and small pool ... nothing more, but he has nice view of Canal / River. HOA $300. But needs total gut job. He's investing $30k to get it nice. Property taxes $2200.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I friend recently purchased a very small 1/1 500 sq ft -/+ near Las Olas Blvd. He paid about $165k. 1950s building and small pool ... nothing more, but he has nice view of Canal / River. HOA $300. But needs total gut job. He's investing $30k to get it nice. Property taxes $2200.
Ahh, thanks for the insite. That is pretty high considering it is a 1/1 but sounds like a great view and seems to be close to the beach and downtown. Gives me some idea of that area.

I understand for a family if you move to areas such as Weston or Plantation you may be able to get a better deal. Is that on the right track you think?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM

258 posts, read 614,774 times
I would not live in Weston or Plantation ... even if I had kids .. a wife, ( which I don't thanks to God ). Even if I could afford a $1M+ home, I would not buy there. The only area in Broward I would invest ( if I had a lot of $ ) would be LO / RV / VP. The only other viable areas outside what I just listed are the Keys ... or North Palm Beach County - Jupiter / and beachside: Palm Beach / or extreme West - Wellingon. Outside little pockets like CG, BK and MB ... most of Miami - Dade is a sh*thole. Weston and a lot of Plantation is now dominated by Haitans, Cubans, Venezuelans and Colombians, and that's ok, but the majority don't speak English and don't respect U.S. culture and values. Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s to mid 1990s ... Plantation and Weston were very nice. However the influx of Haitans and other Latins from South America has ruined most of Broward County. If you must live in Miami - Dade - I recommend CG but it's very expensive.

Espanol: Retired people it doesn't matter. However, if you're working in Miami, understanding and speaking some Spanish helps ... but you don't have to be fluent.

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-25-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area