Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The Waverly typically runs around $1700/mo for a 1/1. The only way your friend is paying $1200 is if they have some special deal worked out with a private owner. Sometimes people are desperate enough to rent out their unit at very cheap rates.
Yes, he has lived there for at least 6 years so I think it's probably not the norm, especially now that the rental market is more expensive in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM

326 posts, read 949,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
2ForTheSea,

Thanks for the info! It is very helpful! A friend of mine also told me to check out Lauderdale by the Sea, so i'm planning on hitting that area as well as Hollywood and maybe Las Olas. I've seen only good things about Wilton Manors on c-d, and i have absolutely no problem being in a gay community, so i should probably tack WM on my list as well. I really don't need anything fancy, just safe, cozy, and lively.

I've been looking on craigslist, and i'm not sure if a lot of these postings are legit, only b/c i know a lot of listings for apts in NYC are total scams, so i'm a little leery. Do you know of anyone who has had any luck w/craigslist or do you think a realtor is the way to go?
I, personally, think Craigslist is a good place to start. It seems like quite a few of the listings are put on there by RE Agents. Of course, pretty much anything that can be turned into a scam certainly is in South Florida, but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I've looked at places through Rent1Sale1 and ended up living in an apartment in Hallandale Beach (I wouldn't recommend living in Hallandale) that one of their agents showed me (I move a lot). Agents seem to have access to things regular people don't. So, it wouldn't hurt to check with them.
Good luck and let us know what you think--just because I'm nosy .

Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
I, personally, think Craigslist is a good place to start. It seems like quite a few of the listings are put on there by RE Agents. Of course, pretty much anything that can be turned into a scam certainly is in South Florida, but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I've looked at places through Rent1Sale1 and ended up living in an apartment in Hallandale Beach (I wouldn't recommend living in Hallandale) that one of their agents showed me (I move a lot). Agents seem to have access to things regular people don't. So, it wouldn't hurt to check with them.
Good luck and let us know what you think--just because I'm nosy .
Thanks & I'll let you know how it all works out

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I disagree about Craigslist. Most of the ads are nothing but realtor spam especially the first few pages. When you call about an ad, they never have the unit you see in the picture. It is all a ploy to recruit you as a customer. Then they want all of your personal info. If you click on too many ads you'll have realtors calling you off the hook all day. The real ads are usually buried on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pages because of all of the spam.

The best way is to find one realtor and stick with them. They all have the same access to the same listings.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Default Found a place!

I found a really cute apt on Fri, and i happened to find it on craigslist, to my surprise. It's not in Wilton Manors (where i was hoping to be) but it's only 5 mins away by car. It's about 10 mins from Las Olas Blvd. More importantly, it's close to work!

It was the very first place i looked at. Afterwards, i looked at a few places w/a realtor that i found on guess where...craigslist (Nolefan you were partially right about craigslist) and those places didn't compare.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM

You will waste a lot of time on craigslist because there are way too many ads and most are not real ads. They are fake ads. You really need to get a realtor to show you around.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 AM

326 posts, read 949,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
I found a really cute apt on Fri, and i happened to find it on craigslist, to my surprise. It's not in Wilton Manors (where i was hoping to be) but it's only 5 mins away by car. It's about 10 mins from Las Olas Blvd. More importantly, it's close to work!

It was the very first place i looked at. Afterwards, i looked at a few places w/a realtor that i found on guess where...craigslist (Nolefan you were partially right about craigslist) and those places didn't compare.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!
I'm happy for you that it was a relatively painless search. Good luck with your new job and with the apartment. I hope you love it there.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks 2ForTheSea! I am really excited about my new place and my new job. I'm really looking forward to exploring Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
Quote:
Fort Lauderdale is a bunch of neighborhoods and most are sketchy or dangerous. The nicer parts are generally east of US1 in places like Las Olas, Rio Vista, Victoria Park, and Coral Ridge. West of US1 the neighborhood rapidly becomes a ghetto in many areas.
Must you post this misinformation to everyone who inquires about Ft. Lauderdale? It simply is NOT true.

Jesus, it's Ft Lauderdale, not Mogadishu. People actually live here and enjoy it. I wonder if you ever get out of your house, as paranoid as you seem to be about crime.

OP, you will like our city. It's a nice place, with tons to do. I moved here 5 months ago and absolutely love my neighborhood and apartment.

Oh, and I found my apartment on Craigslist. There are a lot of fake ads, but they're easy to spot. I looked at three places from Craigslist, all great places, and all legit.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
Must you post this misinformation to everyone who inquires about Ft. Lauderdale? It simply is NOT true.

Jesus, it's Ft Lauderdale, not Mogadishu. People actually live here and enjoy it. I wonder if you ever get out of your house, as paranoid as you seem to be about crime.

OP, you will like our city. It's a nice place, with tons to do. I moved here 5 months ago and absolutely love my neighborhood and apartment.

Oh, and I found my apartment on Craigslist. There are a lot of fake ads, but they're easy to spot. I looked at three places from Craigslist, all great places, and all legit.
Congratulations. I never said this is a bad place to live. But the City of Fort Lauderdale (excluding suburbs) is pretty rough unless you stay east of US1. I am not paranoid. Just have someone take a drive down Broward Blvd or Sunrise Blvd west of US1 and they will see all of the Section 8 housing and bums on the streets. I don't see how you possibly could think that is nice.

I think you have me painted wrong though. I love the Fort Lauderdale area and love living here. At the same time, I can acknowledge not all of Ft. Lauderdale is paradise and there is a ton of crime here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area